Wrong word order?

sensitive subject.... indeed it is... because it's tied with traumatic childhood experience...

it could be several different reasons but feel free to correct me. IMO - for many deaf people's bad writing - I believe it is because of bad education in their youth. It could be because they had undiagnosed problem (learning disability, dyslexia, ADD, etc.) that was hampering their attempt to learn writing. or it could be because they had awful (or... abusive) teacher or parents that discouraged them from learning to write. or it could be because they were at orphan/foster/state house so they never had proper guidance.

That is what I said, except I left out the part about having undiagnosed problems. You just paraphrased my statements, so we are on the same page, lol.

That is what I said, except I left out the part about having undiagnosed problems. You just paraphrased my statements, so we are on the same page, lol.

despite of your past - you came out just fine! Here's free :cool2: for you. It's to make you less intimidating to audists/AG Bell/Clarke School who believe "ASL-first equals shitty writing"

:cool2:

As for me and my family, my daughter has struggled and struggled, but she still has poor writing skills. It's not a lack of education, or a lack of family involvement. We've been told, it's learning disabilities and problems with brain function. I don't really take offense and she's learned to let rude or snide comments just "roll off like water on a duck's back". Now, on the flip side, my son has writing skills like that of a very intelligent and highly learned college student. Not sure where he got that, but his creativity just makes me wish I was like that. His grammar is mostly flawless and an English Professor was astonished that he was only 13 when he wrote this one essay on the Civil War. I'll have to unpack it again sometime. We framed it and the comments.

I'm not sure if ADD is the case either because there are a few people here who has it and write pretty good. But it is very possible that most school ignored the problem because deaf education is still "experimenting" with trying to improve the 4th grade level that they associate with deafness using speech/hearing/Manual Coded English. according to overall statistic, it is still stuck on that level no matter what method they used... they need to stop experimenting communication, stabilize a language for the deaf so they can work from there and be able to distinish deaf people with learning disabilities.

and yes, parents can have alot of influence on their deaf child's language, but they can be great parents but have a child who is undiagnosed with learning disability.

Wirelessly posted

ADD... I think is a personality quirk that somehow got interpreted as a disorder in a society that focuses on organizations and order; because if it's estimated 30-40% of the population have ADD... it's not really a disorder. Either way, ADD doesn't seem to have much impact on language development.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

ADD... I think is a personality quirk that somehow got interpreted as a disorder in a society that focuses on organizations and order; because if it's estimated 30-40% of the population have ADD... it's not really a disorder. Either way, ADD doesn't seem to have much impact on language development.

learning English is a lot of work and it's tedious. Person with ADD may or may not struggle with it but it is possible that ADD can contribute to problem, right?

no, The people I know have ADD or ADHD and NONE of them have a writing issue (in fact some of them write TOO much) . Just distraction issues.

they don't even have a spelling issue.

Last edited:
no, I have a family full of ADDers (on my husband's side of family)... NONE of them have a writing issue (in fact some of them write TOO much) . Just distraction issues.

they don't even have a spelling issue.

so you're saying it is not possible that ADD contributes to writing problem even to some people?

If it is true, I would see it, but I haven't.

even several of my good friends (hearing friends,,, so this is not about deafness) told me they were diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, and they write alot to me. I have not seen a single writing issue from them. One of them never been on ritalin or any medication (her parents believe it is just a personality quirk as well) and she writes just fine.

I think ADD is like deafness... the real issue is hidden under deafness or ADD

so you're saying it is not possible that ADD contributes to writing problem even to some people?

I'm sure it does. My wife (deceased ten years now) had ADD as well as schizophrenia and extreme anxiety and her writing was atrocious and she was raised by foster families. However, I could still communicate with her via TDD, and I did not think any less of her for it. She had a rough time in school, of course, and I did not blame her. ADD surely interferes with studies, seems a no-brainer.

Sigh... Looks like I have to explain myself..... Can't do it through the phone now. Will explain later. Sorry if I've offended people but I encourage to re read my post for the time being.

On seeing the replies, my first thought was that the original poster might have been writing ASL word order, not uncommon if that's the primary and most comfortable language -- especially since most of us relax our writing style, get more casual -- in non-work-related email (and on forums :) ) I think this would be related to (not caused by) the friend's deafness and means of communicating.

But, after looking at the errors quoted, that doesn't read like ASL to English to me, or English as a second language -- just your average young person's overly casual/sloppy writing to a buddy. Not really a big issue, is it? My husband is a high school teacher who runs several online groups in which his students collaborate with one another on creative writing activities, and their online conversations are pretty scary overall, grammatically-speaking. They clean up their acts, though, when emailing directly to him.

Last edited:
I agree that it IS an educational issue but people here are assuming that I said that written mistakes is a deaf thing. INCORRECT. the TYPE of mistake which is "wrong word order" is commonly exhibited by deaf people. I can also tell from the type of mistake that they are foreign. If you look at the emails from my deaf friends versus the emails from my Spanish grandmother, there's a pattern. Again I stress that I am simply pointing out the unique way of making mistakes from the type of individual, that is ALL. Obviously the deaf can read and write as well as a hearing person....

You will need to compare Spanish speaking person using English to another foreign language speaking person using English. They may have their own pattern.

Look I understand that you all don't want to add fuel to the fire and imply in any sense whatsoever that this is anything remotely related to deafness. So I'll just keep my mouth shut and just say that it doesn't have anything to do with BEING deaf.

I'm glad you think so because it would mean there's something wrong with your writing as well, that you have your own deaf writing pattern.

Anyway, people in other countries have their own grammar and synax and so I'm sure have a difficult time breaking that grammar patterns. I read somewhere that spanish speaking have little easier time with English

I'm glad you think so because it would mean there's something wrong with your writing as well, that you have your own deaf writing pattern.

Anyway, people in other countries have their own grammar and synax and so I'm sure have a difficult time breaking that grammar patterns. I read somewhere that spanish speaking have little easier time with English

Deafgal, who are you talking about/responding to?

DD7, she says she noticed the pattern of a deaf writer (and I think she meant any deaf, not deaf people who use ASL) than spanish speaking person

DD7, she says she noticed the pattern of a deaf writer (and I think she meant any deaf, not deaf people who use ASL) than spanish speaking person

Oic, ok, well your point might have been taken a little more seriously had you not said her writing exemplified this....to me hers certainly doesn't....:lol:

I also wanted to point out that she is relying on spanish speaking person to notice a difference, but if she compare deaf writing to other other foreign language speaking person using English, She may not notice a big difference.

Last edited:
Back