would you stay with an abusive person if your only place to go was to be homeless?

ok. I will see if that works. But it still means I can't take fourteen credits and work too. So, I guess he wins. I quit school.

I guess I am an idiot, but my real friends don't even know, cuz I am just too embarrassed to say much, especially since he has kind of isolated me, with his jealousy and I was stupid enough to appease it. I know that I know better. But, when my husband died, he was a friend, and I should have known he

If you can leave abusive situation by working and supporting yourself, it is easy decision.

Most of us work. School is a luxury.

Whoever "he" is, he does not win.

You win if you stand on your own feet.

"Hard work does not hurt anyone" ( Quote of my smart deaf grandmother.)

If you can leave abusive situation by working and supporting yourself, it is easy decision.

Most of us work. School is a luxury.

Whoever "he" is, he does not win.

You win if you stand on your own feet.

"Hard work does not hurt anyone" ( Quote of my smart deaf grandmother.)

To clarify "school is a luxury", I mean if a choice between being abused or getting a job.

Not that many DV shelters have accessible for Deaf individuals. Check the list of Deaf DV shelters:

Deaf Hope

If you're in an abusive situation, get out as soon as you can. Start researching into options. Call the hotline for abusive women and see if they can refer you to resources that are available in your area. School is not a priority right now...your life is. And trust me...speaking from experience as a child who grew up in that environment, the abuse will get worse and worse as it goes on.

I grew up in a very abusive home life. My father was very abusive to us, but especially to my mother. We were in and out of the shelters. As in most abusive relationships, my mother always ended up going back to him based on empty promises and his roses. To this day I hate the sight and smell of roses because of what it had came to represent in my life. There were times that we had to get out immediately...I've slept in cars, ditches (one time it was snowing), behind buildings, and any place we could find. There were times my sisters and I had to resort to eating out of a dumpster. Ironically at home we were used to eating out of silver silverware with the best tablecloths and expensive five-course meals. Eventually I learned to skip lunches and save the money for emergencies. We sisters even had a code system that we developed...who was going to grab the babies, who was going to open the door, etc. I also stocked up on food and other essentials in a bag. I started doing that as young as seven or eight years old. There were times my mother didn't have time to grab us girls...she had to leave immediately to save her own life. Those were the worse times...and even though I know she had to do it, I still deep down resent her for leaving us kids alone with a manic. Most of my anger is directed at her, not him. She had the options of leaving more than once...and she could have started over. Yes, it would have been hard. She had five kids...and didn't even have a high school diploma. But - I'd rather live in a shack feeling safe than in the huge house we were living in...and feeling scared all the time.

If you're in an abusive situation, get out as soon as you can. Start researching into options. Call the hotline for abusive women and see if they can refer you to resources that are available in your area. School is not a priority right now...your life is. And trust me...speaking from experience as a child who grew up in that environment, the abuse will get worse and worse as it goes on.

I grew up in a very abusive home life. My father was very abusive to us, but especially to my mother. We were in and out of the shelters. As in most abusive relationships, my mother always ended up going back to him based on empty promises and his roses. To this day I hate the sight and smell of roses because of what it had came to represent in my life. There were times that we had to get out immediately...I've slept in cars, ditches (one time it was snowing), behind buildings, and any place we could find. There were times my sisters and I had to resort to eating out of a dumpster. Ironically at home we were used to eating out of silver silverware with the best tablecloths and expensive five-course meals. Eventually I learned to skip lunches and save the money for emergencies. We sisters even had a code system that we developed...who was going to grab the babies, who was going to open the door, etc. I also stocked up on food and other essentials in a bag. I started doing that as young as seven or eight years old. There were times my mother didn't have time to grab us girls...she had to leave immediately to save her own life. Those were the worse times...and even though I know she had to do it, I still deep down resent her for leaving us kids alone with a manic. Most of my anger is directed at her, not him. She had the options of leaving more than once...and she could have started over. Yes, it would have been hard. She had five kids...and didn't even have a high school diploma. But - I'd rather live in a shack feeling safe than in the huge house we were living in...and feeling scared all the time.

This is incredibly good advice. Plus she said she stayed there to not work and attend school. She is 51. She could work the next 11 years, collect social security, and go in retirement to school. Many let seniors take for free.

Well, I would leave that person if the abuse is involved. I would go to my children's or friends' until I find my own place to live elsewhere. :)

Well, I would leave that person if the abuse is involved. I would go to my children's or friends' until I find my own place to live elsewhere. :)

Exactly, and only thing holding her back is doesn't want to work!

Exactly, and only thing holding her back is doesn't want to work!
I agree. Some people make themselves look so pitiful when they could actually do better.

Oh, I'm poor. Get a job!

Oh, I have no money. Get a job!

Oh, I have no friends. Go meet someone.

Oh, no one likes me. If you keep talking like this, no one will like you!

I agree. Some people make themselves look so pitiful when they could actually do better.

Oh, I'm poor. Get a job!

I agree. From now on I will only say positive things!

again.... options are incredibly limited for most people. That's why we have shelters at full capacity, limited budgets, priority ranking, and safety. Some shelters may not be safe for mother with children as it's probably full of male drunks/drug addicts. Typically abused people do not have friends. Social Services are not always helpful. They wait until there is serious damage which is usually too late.

There are millions of women and children in USA alone who are being abused. We can't help them all. All I can say for them is - try to find an understanding friend or relative to live with for a while until you get back on your own feet and to get your legal matter settled (filing domestic complaint against spouse, etc).

DV shelters and safe houses do not take men...only women and children. And they are carefully screened fpr substance abuse problems prior to intake.

again.... options are incredibly limited for most people. That's why we have shelters at full capacity, limited budgets, priority ranking, and safety. Some shelters may not be safe for mother with children as it's probably full of male drunks/drug addicts. Typically abused people do not have friends. Social Services are not always helpful. They wait until there is serious damage which is usually too late.

There are millions of women and children in USA alone who are being abused. We can't help them all. All I can say for them is - try to find an understanding friend or relative to live with for a while until you get back on your own feet and to get your legal matter settled (filing domestic complaint against spouse, etc).

Yes there are million abused women and children, but it the mother who needs to stand up against abusive husband or boyfriends to call out for help if she really want to get out of that abusive home she can always call the help hot lines. There are now more and more funding for abuse women and children to have a place at the shelters.

There are places for Domestic Violences which victims can stay there for 30-60 days until they get the restraining order ... then they will be helped to find a place to live and maybe job...

I work with Domestic Violence for the Deaf part time basis

Oh, I'm poor. Get a job!

Exactly :)

Back