Would you get implanted today if....

... the only risk associated with CI was the surgery. You would hear great, communicate orally easily, talk on the phone without needing TTY relay, enjoy music and so on.
well?

Fuzzy

I forgot to ask if you wear a CI ?

if I didn't already have a CI - my answer would be yes. Surgery doesn't scare me.

I agree.. surgery is a pretty big risk. Maybe the thread should explore people's personal resons for NOT choosing to take advantage of the technology. This could be helpful to people on the fence (like myself) who really need to see both sides of the coin.

I have started the evaluation process and even went as far as to meet up with some CI users to get their opinions and discuss thier challenges/successes. So far, everyone I have talked to have only good things to say about their CI (s). I have not met anyone who has been unhappy but I am sure they are out there.

I really do not understand the anger and debate this technology has produced.

dogirl

There are those outt hee who have not received as much benefit as they expected, but I beleive that this was based more on the protrayal of the CI as a devise fromthe professionals. It is, indeed, a personal choice, and jsut like everything else ahs both pros and cons that need to be examined as objectively as possible. I commend you for trying to investigate all sides prior to making your decision. That is a huge factor is ddeveloping realistic expectations for what the CI can do for you, and is directly related to satisfaction withthe devise.

Actually, the CI itself is not waht spurns the anger and the debate. It is the oral philosophy that is connected to the use of CI, and particulary in the implantation and edcuation of deaf children that creates the anger and the debate. You won't find many onthis board that are that opposed to CI. What many members oppose, myself included, is parents cosnidering the devise for their child that aren't given all of the information they need to make informed choice, and consequently, restrict the child to an oral only environment that inhibits their ability to develop language and to gain maximum benefit from their education.

That's a big IF it'll work, I'm not gonna waste my time in finding out, this is what I am and I'll settle for who I am than to find out what cochlear implant can and can't do for me.

If one wants to have one, then go for one, but that doesn't mean we all should get one.

yes it will work and no other risks but surgery.. so?

Fuzzy

Hmmm.... Some CIers still relay on tty and interpreters.. Please check your facts first before thinking CI solves all your problems... Smh

A CI will work for you 100%. It's just a "what if" game.

Fuzzy

I don't understand the phrase, "only risk is surgery". With surgery, you have additional risk, with anesthesia used to perform the surgery, you have additional risk, etc. Surgery is exactly what makes it more risky. Nor do I understand the need to keep asking the same question over and over and over in different ways.

You just answered yourself.

Fuzzy

I agree.. surgery is a pretty big risk. Maybe the thread should explore people's personal resons for NOT choosing to take advantage of the technology. This could be helpful to people on the fence (like myself) who really need to see both sides of the coin.

I have started the evaluation process and even went as far as to meet up with some CI users to get their opinions and discuss thier challenges/successes. So far, everyone I have talked to have only good things to say about their CI (s). I have not met anyone who has been unhappy but I am sure they are out there.

dogirl

My other thread was more of that nature. ("Aren't we wasting time...")

It's a fear of unknown combined with ignorance.

Fuzzy

Well .... how's about yourself???

No I don't have CI.

If there were no other risks but surgery, I would do it today.
Otherwise I suffer with severe migraines, and I have a lot to risk- it can not be predicted if it would lesser my migs or worsen.

BTW- I think Vallee your apptnm with neuro is going ot be today? or was it already?

Fuzzy

hi I see nothing wrong with your question, you're right, it's just a big "what if?" thing and it helps arrive at some sort of conclusion that's based solely on the cultural and health-related aspects of getting a CI. my answer would be yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat because i have no problem with cochlear implants, and no problem with surgery as i've averaged like 1 operation per year since i was 5.

My other thread was more of that nature. ("Aren't we wasting time...")

It's a fear of unknown combined with ignorance.

Fuzzy

Actually, as jillio pointed out, it's the oralist philosophy which is often tied to the implant that most deaf here oppose. That is what is causing all this debate.

I remember when VP first came out, the deaf took to them like ducks to water. Too bad most couldn't afford them when they first came out. So no, it's not fear of new techology.

Hmmm.... Some CIers still relay on tty and interpreters.. Please check your facts first before thinking CI solves all your problems... Smh

Agreed...my aide who has a CI still needs to make VP calls using the VRS relay. She has to go to court and she was expressing to me today her concerns of the court providing a quality terp.

Agreed...my aide who has a CI still needs to make VP calls using the VRS relay. She has to go to court and she was expressing to me today her concerns of the court providing a quality terp.

Shel, how far along is this person with her CI? Just got it?

yes it will work and no other risks but surgery.. so?

Fuzzy

U really need to get out there and meet different people in the Deaf community cuz there are some CI users that dont like their CIs so how can u say that it WILL work? It works for some and doesnt work for others. Where do u get your info from?

Actually, as jillio pointed out, it's the oralist philosophy which is often tied to the implant that most deaf here oppose. That is what is causing all this debate.

I remember when VP first came out, the deaf took to them like ducks to water. Too bad most couldn't afford them when they first came out. So no, it's not fear of new techology.

The oralist philosophy too, but mainly ignorance is what causes anger and resistance, and that does not only apply to CI but to everything.
Fear of uknown is other thing that prevents ppl for opening up to new ideas.

Fuzzy

U really need to get out there and meet different people in the Deaf community cuz there are some CI users that dont like their CIs so how can u say that it WILL work? It works for some and doesnt work for others. Where do u get your info from?

perhaps I wasn't clear enough - as I've stated in the first post, the question is about "what if" - and I asked IF the only risk involved was surgery, and you could hear well, talk on the phone and so on afterwards - would you implant today?

Fuzzy

perhaps I wasn't clear enough - as I've stated in the first post, the question is about "what if" - and I asked IF the only risk involved was surgery, and you could hear well, talk on the phone and so on afterwards - would you implant today?

Fuzzy

I get what u are saying.

Probably not cuz of the risks associated with surgery.

I get what u are saying.

Probably not cuz of the risks associated with surgery.

I'm sorry, Shel if you felt compelled to answer.

I think "what "if" questions must be grounded in WHAT IS and must have the judgement and expertise of experts and the poser of this question is far from an expert, trying to make us make seat-of-the-pants predictions/answers For the current "what if" question. I would not have suggested that the surgery was the riskiest component of the whole CI thing because it is not. The surgery is NOTHING compared to what lies ahead for the newly implanted person. The real "what if" is in the last part of the question asked because it is the most difficult part of the journey. I have suggested before that the implantee is 90% responsible for the success/failure. Just my two coppers worth.

Last edited:
I think "what "if" questions must be grounded in WHAT IS and must have the judgement and expertise of experts and the poser of this question is far from an expert, trying to make us make seat-of-the-pants predictions/answers For the current "what if" question, I would not have suggested that the surgery was the riskiest component of the whole CI thing because it is not. The surgery is NOTHING compared to what lies ahead for the newly implanted person. The real "what if" is in the last part of the question asked because it is the most difficult part of the journey. I have suggested before that the implantee is 90% responsible for the success/failure. Just my two coppers worth.

I agree, after activation is the most important part. the implantee does make either the success or failure. And each CI user has a different level of success.

Back