Would you choose become hearie?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Not know

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Do you not *feel* the snoring? My gay ex-husband snored *SO* bad the bed would vibrate like those vibrate alarm clock.:giggle:

No, generally don't feel it. We have a Tempur-pedic-type mattress, one of those high-density foam deals, and it is WON-derful. We don't notice any movement from each other at all. Love it to pieces; very, very comfortable and tossing and turning does not wake the other person up. I highly recommend it. Quite expensive but so, so worth it.

No, I would not like to imagine to be hearie. No, thank you. I love being in my Deaf world. That is who I am ever since I was born that way. :)

I would love to be hearing again. So many things I enjoyed about it. For some reason alot of people think to wish you could hear means you don't like yourself as you are. Anybody that knows me knows that I don't have a deficit in self-like :) But there sure were alot of things I enjoyed when I could hear and I would love to do them again.

When I was young I would have said Yes!!! But now that I am older, I'm not so sure. I guess it would depend on what's involved and how good the end result will be. You might guess my answer is yes because I have a Cochlear implant. But I would have to think long and hard on this one. I really like my Deaf Culture and am in no hurry to give that up.

I vote no. I get it that being hearing would make things easier but do I want to be like hearing who decided on communication method for us, type of school we should have or whether we are able to do white collar jobs (like engingeering, etc).

Also I like quiet so I can concretrate at my tasks and also get my beauty sleep.

No i dont need to hear my three screaming dog barking and all the crazyness in nyc the boggy down bronx.. If love the quite.

When you are hearing, it's not like you hear everything.
You have selective hearing, and you chose not to hear certain sounds consciously or it would be unbearable to be hearing.

For example, it's like the people who are living downtown doesn't notice
the traffic noise after a while anymore,
whereas someone who just came from a quite suburbs wouldn't be able to sleep for 10 minutes.

Fuzzy

When you are hearing, it's not like you hear everything.
You have selective hearing, and you chose not to hear certain sounds consciously or it would be unbearable to be hearing.

For example, it's like the people who are living downtown doesn't notice
the traffic noise after a while anymore,
whereas someone who just came from a quite suburbs wouldn't be able to sleep for 10 minutes.

Fuzzy

Yup, and when those people from the city visited the burbs the crickets might keep them up :lol:

But I would still prefer to have my hearing. I could always use earplugs if I needed silence. Actually with my level of tinnitus being deaf is much noisier than hearing.

Yup, and when those people from the city visited the burbs the crickets might keep them up :lol:

But I would still prefer to have my hearing. I could always use earplugs if I needed silence. Actually with my level of tinnitus being deaf is much noisier than hearing.

it's a sad painful truth.

Definitely. As someone who had perfect hearing and then suddenly lost it, I would absolutely love to have it back. Now granted I'm still very, very new to all of this, so over time, my answer might change, but for now, yes, I'd love to have my hearing back.

I am comfortable for who i am and have beautiful family, and awesome friends and have a life. i would say no. I thought Deaf culture is really AWESOME. If i am with others who are the same as I am and i feel pretty much nomral and great life. If everyone lose their hearing then it ll be pretttty much normal. :lol:

I know for sure that hearing will help me with my career in engineering field.

Hard question, being deaf has its own perk sometime. Since I don't consider deafness as one of my identity, I think I'd chose to be hearing. However deaf culture will always be in my heart.

I was going to say 'Yes' as I know there are things that I personally want to do in my life that I can't because of my deafness.

But the most important thing to me and my sense of identity is not whether I'm a hearie or a deafie, but whether I'm a loving caring person. The grief and pain that I've experienced as a result of being a deaf person in a hearing world has made me more sensitive and considerate of others. Would I be as compassionate if I was hearing? If the answer is 'No', then I don't want to be a hearie. But there are hearies who are compassionate so me having hearing doesn't automatically mean I become hard hearted. So in the end I voted for 'Don't Know'. My deafness has given me attributes that are very precious to me and I'm not sure that I'd have them if I was hearing.

Right now, I am not interested and voted "No". But, if it is near future, maybe I can have my 'new' hearing sense, due the technology and populations are still changing. But, I am still undecided.

I was born HOH and never heard high frequency , I heard it can be very painful .

If I could be hearing I would only one thing to be able to hear my granddaughter better on the phone and be able to hear her when she talking to me while in the car. She have to sit in the back , I could sit there too then I would not hear my daughter in the front. I do regret not being able to hear my daughter whistler when she was 6 months! My sister heard it and I am jealous!

Yes, with the caveat that it feel comfortable. Being able to hear well comes with more options, so I would go for it.

I would still like to be fluent in ASL and think it would be great if more people spoke more directly.

I'm not sure how to answer the poll because I would say yes to better hearing but saying yes to being a hearie implies saying yes to some cultural values which I don't ... value.

ETA: It's not something I think about because I have plenty of real options to spend my time thinking about.

I'd love to be able to hear like hearies can!

...But I always then think 'But then I wouldn't quite be me...'

I wouldn't want to be 'stuck' as a hearie. I'd like to be able to choose to come back to myself too.

now I know it's different things but I happen to be on an learning disability forum too and a similar question was there...

I wrote

if I was different than now, I wouldn't be me.
I'm happy with who i am and the way i see things, the way i am in the world

Back