Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Not know

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

Sunshine

Reaction score
If there some magic way you can change be hearie, not deaf/HOH anymore, would you?

I've debated this since I've had hearing then lost it. But now I wouldn't change it. I love who I am and my deafness is a part of me. It's the other crap I deal with I'd change.

I don't know. In RL, I have nerve damage so it's not in the range of possibilities. If I could go back to hearing, I'm tempted just because it's so much easier. The more a person "fits" into her society, the easier it is for her.

Yes, absolutely, as someone who has had good hearing in one ear, I'd definitely want it back. I'd rather have the choice than no choice at all, if possible.

I have no cochleas, so never possible, just for imagination question :)

I don't mind not hearing. It's the other medical issues that I want to get rid of.

I'd rather be hearing. I'm tired of missing out on conversations in the breakroom at work and social functions.

There will always be an occasional moment when I say "Oh ! I wish I was hearing". But, those moments are FAR less than the moments that I LOVE being Deaf. It is what I am. So, no, not choosing to become hearing.

Oh yes, I do!,
but still I would love to learn ASL as well and be fluid in signing
and participate in Deaf Culture.

Fuzzy

I think I like try hearie one day only. Probably not like though.

Realize never 100% Deaf like you but when finally hear sounds, with HAs, about 12-14 years ago, was amazing at first but find life *VERY* loud. Annoying and hurt ears. Prefer life as is. Yes, present communication challenge but I would not trade that challenge for anything of who I am today. :)

If I could snap my fingers and be hearing again, sure, I'd love it. I used to sing in a choir - can't do that anymore. Loved music. I still do, but I can't hear it well and accurately any more (more so with vocal music; I still enjoy symphony music and think I'm hearing it reasonably accurately with the music program on the HAs). Loved learning languages. I still do, and I'm still fine with being able to read the languages I know, but hearing them accurately enough to carry on an easy conversation is another thing entirely.

I'd love to be able to use the telephone easily again.

Hearing aids, batteries, all the related issues, are expensive and difficult to compare one brand to another. It's a very frustrating experience as a consumer. I wish there were better ways to give two or three brands or even a couple or three options within one or two brands a work-out before plunking down all that money.

All that said - compared to other problems in the family (my brother-in-law was just diagnosed with a brain tumor; two cousins have MS and have to use wheelchairs; other brother-in-law had a stroke a couple years back - he has recovered, but had to retire earlier than planned), I figure putting up with hearing aids and the aggravations thereof really is not much of a big deal in the ultimate scheme of things. There are other things I miss about not being age 25 anymore, too - my hearing is just one of them.

And life is still good, regardless. I count my blessings more than I count my woes.

The best of both worlds would be hearing with an off switch for ears.

The best of both worlds would be hearing with an off switch for ears.

Very true!!

My husband is a LOUD snorer. Sometimes if he is asleep before I come into the bedroom (and when I still have my HAs in), I am a-MAZ-ed at how loud he is! Then the aids come off, go in the dry-box, and I just hear a faint murmur, if anything at all. :lol:

So there is that advantage of hearing aids, for sure.

Very true!!

My husband is a LOUD snorer. Sometimes if he is asleep before I come into the bedroom (and when I still have my HAs in), I am a-MAZ-ed at how loud he is! Then the aids come off, go in the dry-box, and I just hear a faint murmur, if anything at all. :lol:

So there is that advantage of hearing aids, for sure.

Do you not *feel* the snoring? My gay ex-husband snored *SO* bad the bed would vibrate like those vibrate alarm clock.:giggle:

I've debated this since I've had hearing then lost it. But now I wouldn't change it. I love who I am and my deafness is a part of me. It's the other crap I deal with I'd change.
What's the matter, you don't like the free Tilt-a-Whirl rides in your living room? Not sure I will weigh in here. Having something and losing it makes my choice hard. I miss music far more than conversation. Glad I can still feel a beat.

Back