Without HAs - don't you feel....

Thnx your response is interesting, but could you also tell me if wearign HAs or CI makes it easier for you to communicate in hearing world, or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy

It doesn't matter to me because I usually read lips. And no problemo :)

The world does NOT only belongs to the hearing, the world belongs to everyone hears or not.

I don't think the word 'cutting off' seem to fit because nobody must hear to be a very much apart of the world, You must know how to communcate. Even there's spanish language presented in the USA does that mean those spanish people have to learn English to be a part of the world? The answer is no.

So, I don't see the point of feeling cut off or being left out.

Yeah, I has to agree with you on this.

My deaf brother says that when he wore HAs, he felt anxiety and distracted. He hasnt worn them in a long time and still can interact with hearing people. Of course, like me, he prefers to be in a signing environment than a non signing one.

Same with my son. He rarely wears his HAs because he finds the constant noise a distraction and it interferes with his ability to focus visually. Yes he manages to interact with the hearing world on a daily basis.

I do feel like I am missing something when I am around people and I cannot hear. I had an experience of when I heard absolutely nothing for a 2 months and I was very depressed. My lip reading skills were challenged dramatically. I was holding fire alarms that made everyone cringe right up to my ear and not hear a thing. I was blasting my system in my car and only to feel the bass and not hear it. It was rough. Everything I ever learned was based on the foundation of the oral language and having that ripped out from underneath of me wasn't pretty. I just felt disconnected from everything.

Like everyone else, I have a quiet time at night right before bed where I just like to wind down watching some TV in silence. If anything is wrong, I have my little puppy to alert me because she hears EVERYTHING.

I do feel like I am missing something when I am around people and I cannot hear. I had an experience of when I heard absolutely nothing for a 2 months and I was very depressed. My lip reading skills were challenged dramatically. I was holding fire alarms that made everyone cringe right up to my ear and not hear a thing. I was blasting my system in my car and only to feel the bass and not hear it. It was rough. Everything I ever learned was based on the foundation of the oral language and having that ripped out from underneath of me wasn't pretty. I just felt disconnected from everything.

Like everyone else, I have a quiet time at night right before bed where I just like to wind down watching some TV in silence. If anything is wrong, I have my little puppy to alert me because she hears EVERYTHING.

I definately identify with your description of what you felt those two months. While my hearing loss is not as profound as yours, I have ALOT of sound distortion because of Menieres. You could be talking to me and I will not understand a word on a really bad day.

However, being able to turn off the sound does have its adavantages when my "ears" are acting up. The distortion can be frustrating and tiring, Turning it off by removing my HA can provide some relief.

And like Shel90, I can't read lips worth crap either without my HA. How do others do so well at it? I have tried, but I suck. LOL

Same with my son. He rarely wears his HAs because he finds the constant noise a distraction and it interferes with his ability to focus visually. Yes he manages to interact with the hearing world on a daily basis.

Right...some deaf people dont need to hear to be able to interact with the hearing world. Everyone is different. My brother has done well without HAs and he is happy so who is anyone to criticize that? :)

However, being able to turn off the sound does have its adavantages when my "ears" are acting up. The distortion can be frustrating and tiring, Turning it off by removing my HA can provide some relief.

I have this little thing that I clipped out of a magazine. It says

"Ultimate power is being able to turn off one's hearing aid."

I agree with every single word of that LOL!!

How long have you had Menieres? Are you a stage of it where it is controllable with medication?

r without my HA. How do others do so well at it? I have tried, but I suck. LOL

Same here. If I read lips without sound or with poor sound, I get exhausted within 10 minutes. I remember seeing an oral interpreter at work once and wondered how could people follow her? It was such hard work!

Personally, I think lipreading works best in the presence of audition support.

Same here. If I read lips without sound or with poor sound, I get exhausted within 10 minutes. I remember seeing an oral interpreter at work once and wondered how could people follow her? It was such hard work!

Personally, I think lipreading works best in the presence of audition support.[/QUOTE]

That goes for me as well!

How long have you had Menieres? Are you a stage of it where it is controllable with medication?

I was diagnosed in high school (about 16, 39 now), but I can remember having symptoms in JH. I just thought I had the flu or something.

I have not had an episode of vertigo in a while, but I do have days where my equilibrium may be off a bit. Few and far between however. Thank God.

Now, my biggest problem is my hearing loss which has gotten worse in the last few months.

I just started the evaulation process for a CI, so I have been doing alot of reading and investigating on the subject.

dogirl

Hopefully, everyone has been reading my blog (click on the link below) and I've said today marks one week with an ear infection in the right ear. I had my right hearing aid out for two classes out of three today due to not hearing on that side. I even slipped the left one off during class and heard next to nothing. I don't think I could get away with attending classes without them in, as my classmates and professors would find out if I said anything and that my speech may sound like "deaf talk" and very loud.

Well there are times when I feel cut off when people don't communicate much using deafblind manual or block capital letters even and keep trying to speak to me even though they should know by now that I can't communicate that way.

I'm getting a tactiaid which lets you know by vibrating when there are noises as I'm hoping that it will help with road safety but it may also help me know if there is someone around too.

Hopefully, everyone has been reading my blog (click on the link below) and I've said today marks one week with an ear infection in the right ear. I had my right hearing aid out for two classes out of three today due to not hearing on that side. I even slipped the left one off during class and heard next to nothing. I don't think I could get away with attending classes without them in, as my classmates and professors would find out if I said anything and that my speech may sound like "deaf talk" and very loud.

I think if you are attending regular classes where people speak - that would cause you a lot of trouble in the long run - not being able to hear what you usually hear.
And I don't think the way your voice sounds would matter so much as for you not being able to obtain all spoken information...

Fuzzy

I don't feel cut-off . I feel more relaxed when not wearing has.. it is world of peace :) I have been very frustrated with hearing aids as I can't get relieving benefit from them.. I'll try my chance with a CI if possible

... like you are "cut -off" from hearing world?

My other thread suggest that a lot of deaf pple like to use HAs regardless of their ability to communicate via sign, and belonging to the deaf culture.
I suppose it's because hearing even just some sounds IS very helpful not only while communicating in hearing world, but being aware of any other sounds.
It's simply practical to be able to hear as much as one can.

I do feel very "cut-off" if I am not wearing my HAs.
I probably wouldn't mind NOT hearing anything at this point in my life if not for the fact that I communicate orally. That (communication) I need...

Fuzzy

I don't feel cut-off . I feel more relaxed when not wearing has.. it is world of peace :) I have been very frustrated with hearing aids as I can't get relieving benefit from them.. I'll try my chance with a CI if possible

I feel relaxed too, but I can not communicate w/o my HAs.
I mean if I would have to I would obtain an information in some other ways - via writting, or using gesticulation, slow lipreading - but it would be very hard, stressfull.
On the other hand - total silence, by myself = peace. Particularly for my migraine.

Fuzzy

I feel relaxed too, but I can not communicate w/o my HAs.
I mean if I would have to I would obtain an information in some other ways - via writting, or using gesticulation, slow lipreading - but it would be very hard, stressfull.
On the other hand - total silence, by myself = peace. Particularly for my migraine.

Fuzzy

:) I can't communicate without hearing aids,either but I had a bad day ,today cuz of being 'hearing' with aids.

That's why I am so happy to learn ASL cuz it relieves the stress from using spoken language.

Yeah, that is something I regret not having...

Fuzzy

Same here ..I regret believing those "experts" about how I didnt need ASL instead of telling them off and learned ASL at younger age. Could have saved me a lot of misery.

Back