WiFi type n or g?

oh? well then looks like your Best Buy has a good business practice! Ignore my previous posts then :) but do be aware of it.
I'll try. :)

Wirelessly posted

When you get a router, be sure password protect it. Personal I don't think best buy was any worst than circuit city.

The brand we found that work the best is cisco router..all other brands would not work for us.it is dual n

Last edited:
When you get a router, be sure password protect it. Personal I don't think best buy was any worst than circuit city.
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Circuit City is out of business? It changed to online store only. I think?????? :dunno:

The brand we found that work the best is cisco router..all other brands would not work for us.it is dual n
Cisco owns Linksys.

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Circuit City is out of business? It changed into online store only. I think?????? :dunno:

Cisco owns Linksys.

Yes they are...but I never found the difference between each two when it was in business.

Wirelessly posted

I'm aware cisco owns Linksys. All I remember my husband going through several routers and returning them. This one says cisco instead of Linksys. I realize now that they don't label it that way anymore.

Last edited:
Yes they are...but I never found the difference between each two when it was in business.

ooh gotcha. I agree with your statement. Around here - both stores were a farce and a dishonest thug.

Cisco owns Linksys.i prevent to WEP that is why protect to your router!!!

Wirelessly posted

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/convergence/router.htm

How routers work, it may help you decide.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Yes, we already have password protection.

I'm getting these things for my daughter's family for Christmas. Not for me. :)

Wirelessly posted

HowStuffWorks "How Routers Work"

How routers work, it may help you decide.
I'm going to put off the router for now. I'll wait until the family sets up the new system. It's possible that their current router will be good enough. That will save me from buying a new one for them. I can't ask what they have because that will spoil the surprise. :)

I suggest you to get an router with dual bands (G and N) Most newer laptops come with N. The N is better than G for long range and high speed that friendly for HD video from hulu.com, youtube.com, netflex.com, etc.

If router with single band (N only) then some old laptop/scanner/printer/mobile with G become useless.

NETGEAR - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4 Ethernet Ports - WNDR3400-100NAS
This is good price.

D-Link - Xtreme N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router - DIR-825
This is good for me due videophone compatible.

Oh, interesting question. Good luck! They will be thrilled to get your present. I'm sure that they will think of you as the best grandmother in the world. It's because we all use some technologies for almost anything.

Oh, interesting question. Good luck! They will be thrilled to get your present. I'm sure that they will think of you as the best grandmother in the world. It's because we all use some technologies for almost anything.
I'm already their best grandmother in the world but it has nothing to do with giving them things. :)

My new Acer Aspire notebook have N wireless adapter (It's actually b/g/n combo) and I have Dlink DIR-655 Extreme N wireless router. I tested with N Wireless connection. It was FAST!! The browser just "dropped" down really quickly better than G Wireless connection. I did not have any issue with Netflix movies on my notebook.

Download speed was rather blazing, I get between 650 kpbs to 1,500 kpbs on Road Runner Plus..

Best to get "N" Wireless adapter or Any laptops or computer with Wireless N adapter.

Catty

Catty

I suggest you to get an router with dual bands (G and N) Most newer laptops come with N. The N is better than G for long range and high speed that friendly for HD video from hulu.com, youtube.com, netflex.com, etc.

If router with single band (N only) then some old laptop/scanner/printer/mobile with G become useless.

It's just like Highlander said that I would say the same.

Just buy a Wireless router N with B/G complicate that will do the rest for you!

Back