WiFi type n or g?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm researching a computer purchase.

Some computer WiFi types are n, some are g.

Is one better than the other?

Does it matter what kind of router is used?

If computers are networked (such as a PC and a laptop), do they need to be the same WiFi type?

If one computer is an n, and the other is a g, can they use the same router?

Does the type matter for connecting with a wireless scanner/printer?

wireless-N is typically used for media-hungry purpose and it can work with b/g.
wireless-G is the most common one.

scanner/printer would be using wireless-B/G since wireless-N is overkill for these kind of products. scanner/printer equipped with WiFi(b/g) can work with wireless-N router.

Any suggestions for a family wireless network router? Reliability, easy setup, and security are important. Bells and whistles are not. :)

Any suggestions for a family wireless network router? Reliability, easy setup, and security are important. Bells and whistles are not. :)

the most common one which is what I have been using for several years - Linksys WRT54G

D-Link DIR-615 is fine as well.

the most common one which is what I have been using for several years - Linksys WRT54G

D-Link DIR-615 is fine as well.
D-Link DIR-615 is what I have. :)

N is long-range radius

It's better if have dual wi-fi type, both N and G. Most popular are current G.

What about refurbished laptops from Best Buy? Are they reliable?

What about refurbished laptops from Best Buy? Are they reliable?

hhmmm..... I'd say no but it depends. you'd have to show me the spec and info but overall.... I'd stay away from Best Buy. They're evil :)

hhmmm..... I'd say no but it depends. you'd have to show me the spec and info but overall.... I'd stay away from Best Buy. They're evil :)
What do you mean "evil?"

Well, that's disappointing. I've bought computers and other digital stuff from them over the past couple years, and there's been no problem. They even helped me out with a product that was past warranty time. My neighbor gets her computer stuff from them, too. She did have to return a printer but they gave her a new one that was fine.

I was hoping to get a full network of stuff for my family, and time is getting short. I'm feeling stressed.

Well, that's disappointing. I've bought computers and other digital stuff from them over the past couple years, and there's been no problem. They even helped me out with a product that was past warranty time. My neighbor gets her computer stuff from them, too. She did have to return a printer but they gave her a new one that was fine.

I was hoping to get a full network of stuff for my family, and time is getting short. I'm feeling stressed.

oh? well then looks like your Best Buy has a good business practice! Ignore my previous posts then :) but do be aware of it.

Back