why some deaf people are staying home whom not going to work?

VR has a waiting list of 5 years here. Complete joke. Whats even the point of VR???????????????????

I find it strange when someone says "deafness is not a disability!" but then they collect social security. If you are collecting social security, you are saying that you are disabled. You can't say you aren't disabled and also collect SSI.

Many deafs dont see it as a disability because it does not limit their functioning in any way. We are not like people in wheel chairs who are limited as far as walking or whatever. We can do nearly everything hearing people can we just sometimes do things in different ways.

Many deafs dont see it as a disability because it does not limit their functioning in any way. We are not like people in wheel chairs who are limited as far as walking or whatever. We can do nearly everything hearing people can we just sometimes do things in different ways.

That's not what I'm saying though. I understand why deafness is not a disability, I have been of that mindset myself for a long time. But saying "it's not a disability" and then collecting disability money...well, that is what confuses me.

I use VR before but they don't do a good job to help anyone, so I did it all on my own without the help of VR service. VR used to be great 20 years ago. But now they don't have enough people to help handicap to find jobs. That why so many people complian about VR here in Virginia.

I went to VR in Virginia for help at the beginning of this year, because the hearing aids I needed were so expensive. I was told that now they only help more severely disabled people. Deafness is not considered a severe enough disability to get help immediately, they put you on a waiting list. And eventually you can move up the list, but if a severely disabled person comes in for help while you are still on the list, then you will get pushed back down because they come first.

I realize that severely disabled people need help, I am not complaining about that...but if the state would give the VR services more money to work with, they wouldn't have to do it this way.

like others said there are many reasons why some do not have a job or living with their parents..

Like myself.. I live with my mom for good reason. I have Meniere's Disease so I do have good and bad days. I dont know when it hit me cuz it can hit me out of blue. another reason is that mom is sick and use oxygen full times. She have COPD. she is 70 years old. so I do cook foods for her and take care of her. saving state's money to send caregiver to come here and take care of my mom.

Econmoy is not doing good.. lot of businesses are closing.. high gas prices and food prices shot higher ... so it look like we are going in a depression. :(

That's not what I'm saying though. I understand why deafness is not a disability, I have been of that mindset myself for a long time. But saying "it's not a disability" and then collecting disability money...well, that is what confuses me.

You do realize there are 1000's upon 1000's of people on disability who are not disabled? As to why when they dont consider deafness a disability and disablity is for the disabled? Why not, its free money and its easier then working.

I just started using VR services recently. I've had a really tough time getting hired. I am working part-time and trying to find full-time. So I went to see a VR counselor, not knowing what to expect. And I've been pleasantly surprised. She noted that I only had one hearing aid so offered to buy a 2nd one for me, and I just got it. It's awesome, I wasn't even expecting that. But as far as real help in getting a job, VR has been limited in that. So right now we are researching options for me to return to school so I can find a different type of job that would be easier to get hired on. Minnesota is one state that has a full tuition waiver for deaf students provided they qualify for financial aid (and we've already determined my eligibility for that) so VR would pick up the tab for books, etc.

like others said there are many reasons why some do not have a job or living with their parents..

Like myself.. I live with my mom for good reason. I have Meniere's Disease so I do have good and bad days. I dont know when it hit me cuz it can hit me out of blue. another reason is that mom is sick and use oxygen full times. She have COPD. she is 70 years old. so I do cook foods for her and take care of her. saving state's money to send caregiver to come here and take care of my mom.

Econmoy is not doing good.. lot of businesses are closing.. high gas prices and food prices shot higher ... so it look like we are going in a depression. :(

Yep, you got that right about the " Econmoy " part is not doing so great here. Econmoy have been very poor now and so much have happened with the prices of gas, food, and homes are going up much more higher and it spinning out of control. I belive we are already in depression. :shock:

You do realize there are 1000's upon 1000's of people on disability who are not disabled? As to why when they dont consider deafness a disability and disablity is for the disabled? Why not, its free money and its easier then working.

Deafness is still a disablity, but money is not free, people whom are on SSA, SSI, or SSDI is on "fixed" income is not a lot of money. But once you get full time job, you still have to pay back the money own to the soical security service. But deaf people don't work the system. maybe some of them do, but not all of them are that way. I know it hard for lot of deaf people to get real good job on a low wages. :eek3:

But once you get full time job, you still have to pay back the money own to the soical security service.

I don't think that's true. If they overpay you due to that you don't report your income from any jobs you have on time, then you have to pay back the money that they do should not have owed you.

I don't think that's true. If they overpay you due to that you don't report your income from any jobs you have on time, then you have to pay back the money that they do should not have owed you.

Agree with you. I am on SSDAC. If anyone get a new job and must report to SSA. If not report to SSA about get a new job or married. It will get into trouble. Like my friend's boyfriend owed to SSA about 30,000 because he never report to SSA that he got a new job.

Agree with you. I am on SSDAC. If anyone get a new job and must report to SSA. If not report to SSA about get a new job or married. It will get into trouble. Like my friend's boyfriend owed to SSA about 30,000 because he never report to SSA that he got a new job.

:-o :nono:

You are correct.

I use VR before but they don't do a good job to help anyone, so I did it all on my own without the help of VR service. VR used to be great 20 years ago. But now they don't have enough people to help handicap to find jobs. That why so many people complian about VR here in Virginia.

Personally I think VR and DRS sucked balls 20 years ago. Kudo to you for doing it without the help of VR.

Deafness is still a disablity, but money is not free, people whom are on SSA, SSI, or SSDI is on "fixed" income is not a lot of money. But once you get full time job, you still have to pay back the money own to the soical security service. But deaf people don't work the system. maybe some of them do, but not all of them are that way. I know it hard for lot of deaf people to get real good job on a low wages. :eek3:

Its only free to the one receiving it. Everyone else pays into and funds it. Of course its a fixed ... its suppose to supplement other income not be your primary source of income.

I don't consider my deafness a disability, never have. I can still walk and talk and do most anything a hearie can do.

VR seem to be good at paying your education, but I found that they do not have any better skills than any normal person do to find you a job.

Its only free to the one receiving it. Everyone else pays into and funds it. Of course its a fixed ... its suppose to supplement other income not be your primary source of income.

Sadly, a lot of deaf people consider their SSI/SSDI as their main source of income and wouldn't dare to find a job because they do not want to lose their benefits nor their health insurance such as Medicaid. No matter how often it has been explained to them how having a job will generate more funding than what SSI normally pay out monthly. I understand for some deaf people with secondary severe, significant disability that is making it difficult to work but for those who are able-bodied, come on!

Back