why some deaf people are staying home whom not going to work?

Current it's 4.9% are unemployment in US in Jan 2008, that's about 7.6 millions out of 304 millions.

Bright side, it been improve than 3 years ago which was more than 6.1%

Some states are much higher than national averages.

Most all people have a choice.

I will say for someone who WANTS to work they don

*off topic*

This is why I do not post replies using my pager. This is what happens! I am using the summer school's computer to post. My Internet is down.

I had a good statement but apparently pager screwed it up. OH well.

Pls disregard this quote.

There a lot people moving back home as they can't find a job and it not only deaf people moving back home . The job market is horrible , and when the troops come home they going to have a hard time finding jobs too. They may have to live at home until they can find work. Thimes are really tights right now and I wouuld not judge people for living at home,it better than being on the streets.

In our case, we are living with hubby's mother for 2 reasons. Money got real bad for us and she was in need of help and needed us. He is the only child. We came when she asked. We liver here rent free and she pays electric, water, trash and property taxes. We pay for our phone and groceries. I do all the housework and driving. In the end, we will get the house and all her accounts. She is slowly fixing up the house so we will have less hassle after she is gone. She doesn't think she will still be here after another 5-8 years. My mother (who has lived with us since 1993) may not live even 5 years.

In our case, we are living with hubby's mother for 2 reasons. Money got real bad for us and she was in need of help and needed us. He is the only child. We came when she asked. We liver here rent free and she pays electric, water, trash and property taxes. We pay for our phone and groceries. I do all the housework and driving. In the end, we will get the house and all her accounts. She is slowly fixing up the house so we will have less hassle after she is gone. She doesn't think she will still be here after another 5-8 years. My mother (who has lived with us since 1993) may not live even 5 years.

This was very common at one time. Famlies living together to help out their parents and grandparents. I had a few clients that were living with their sisters or brothers and they all in their 80's. or older. I thought it was really neat that they lived together to help one another.

Just a reminder...this thread was originally posted in June 2008, before the recession got really bad. I think things are very different now.

Today, it is harder for deaf people to get jobs because there are so many unemployed hearing people. It is not supposed to matter in the hiring process, but of course it does.

But when the thread was first started, unemployment was not bad like now. Deaf people could get jobs when they wanted to. I think the thread is more about the people who don't even WANT to get a job, who are happy to collect SSI instead of working.

Just a reminder...this thread was originally posted in June 2008, before the recession got really bad. I think things are very different now.

Today, it is harder for deaf people to get jobs because there are so many unemployed hearing people. It is not supposed to matter in the hiring process, but of course it does.

But when the thread was first started, unemployment was not bad like now. Deaf people could get jobs when they wanted to. I think the thread is more about the people who don't even WANT to get a job, who are happy to collect SSI instead of working.

Yea, I dont know how they do it. To each to its own. I prefer to work when I can.

I used to rely on SSI + DOR benefits during my college years which amounted to $900 something per month. I thought it was easy, free money but I was wrong in the long run. It made me spoiled, lazy, and unmotivated and I refused to look for a job other than working at one of my parent's store, although infrequently.

Then I started to look at the big picture and realized this can't go on forever. So, I begged my cousin to offer me a non-paying job since he operates a successful e-commerce business and told me that the "internet" will be my life and a source of income for me as well. Fortunately for me, he taught me everything on how a successful e-commerce business should run.

I took his words to heart and decided to cut off SSI payments once I managed to save up enough money and opened a brick-and-mortar business with my brother and we started to advertise over the internet, focusing on a certain business niche. Fast forward 3 years later, we're now a respectable company tailoring services to law firms and soon to be small health/medical companies. (Please don't ask or PM me for the name of the company. Personal/business reasons.)

That's not all, I'm planning on opening my own e-commerce business and before that, I've been selling goods on Amazon/eBay which has generated a nice profit for me and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Long story short, don't rely on SSI as your source of income. Anyone here can make more money than what SSI has to offer as long they put effort into it.

Congrats on your success ID! Thanks for sharing your story!

I lost my job ..because I lost my hearing...I was a teller and I knew all the customers (it was a small bank in a small town) and I just could not answer the phone or work drive up anymore...to their "standards"..
what they did was wrong and it made me feel broken ....

I lost my job ..because I lost my hearing...I was a teller and I knew all the customers (it was a small bank in a small town) and I just could not answer the phone or work drive up anymore...to their "standards"..

what they did was wrong and it made me feel broken ....

That's just wrong. Possibly illegal too as well. Did you contact a lawyer to see if there's anything you can do about it?

That's just wrong. Possibly illegal too as well. Did you contact a lawyer to see if there's anything you can do about it?

not illegal if she cannot do the job as specified. I mean - you can't exactly hire a deaf person for telemarketing job or a blind person for car testing. What the bank could have done is reassign her to other job.

Agree with Mr. Banjo....it's so wrong...seems they could have placed you in another position without customer intervention.....
Since it's a small town, you might want to get a lawyer somewhere else (closest city to you). Good luck!

it was illegal, I reported them...they broke the disability act....but other than report them ...what can you do...
they fired me..i moved on...but i did report them...hopefully they wont get away with doing it again...

it was illegal, I reported them...they broke the disability act....but other than report them ...what can you do...
they fired me..i moved on...but i did report them...hopefully they wont get away with doing it again...

but you were not able to do the job as specified, am I right?

I had already been there 2+ years...it was their legal obligation to accomidate my needs...they did nothing...so when they fired me ...i reported them...I didnt sue them...although it did cross my mind, but in the end it would have been bad for my co-workers..they would have shut the branch down that i worked at and it would have ment more people would have been with out a job..people I cared about...not that they stood up for me...but they are not me...I ended up losing alot more than my job alone in the process...try going from living pay check to pay check and then having someone yank one of your incomes out from under you...see what happens...yes, I am bitter a little, but i am moving past it and even DEAF I did my job well! ...they customers were always commenting on how it didnt matter that i lost my hearing, i still did a great job...the manager just didnt wanna answer the phone ever ....he was an arssshole...

I had already been there 2+ years...it was their legal obligation to accomidate my needs...they did nothing...so when they fired me ...i reported them...I didnt sue them...although it did cross my mind, but in the end it would have been bad for my co-workers..they would have shut the branch down that i worked at and it would have ment more people would have been with out a job..people I cared about...not that they stood up for me...but they are not me...I ended up losing alot more than my job alone in the process...try going from living pay check to pay check and then having someone yank one of your incomes out from under you...see what happens...yes, I am bitter a little, but i am moving past it and even DEAF I did my job well! ...they customers were always commenting on how it didnt matter that i lost my hearing, i still did a great job...the manager just didnt wanna answer the phone ever ....he was an arssshole...

if they were to accommodate you - like what?

I would sue them. It's not personal, its business. Now you're in shambles because of them, why be passive?

Back