Why my wife and I want our children to hear and speak a little.

^Angel^ said:
Forgive me for going a bit off the topic here :whistle:

Oh no, don't worry; I love chatting so anything goes for me.

angel, i was the one that led you off the topic -- ha ha -- have a great holiday weekend, all!

Mookie said:
Not always. Do you have evidence that the oralism method is the perfect answer?

Fragmenter, please do not be a bullshit artist. My wife is also HH. I am not buying your wife’s answers. I am sure that your wife is most likely hearie but not too close to the range of HH.

I bet you have might not understand strange people speaking first time. Nice try, buddy.

I actually read him saying he wasn't saying it was the perfect method. hint no method is perfect, we do not live in a perfect world so any solution...including ASL will have a failure rate. when a person excepts that they finally have peace with any decisions they make regarding themselves or their children.

As to the second part of your post quoted. I have carried on conversations with various people listed. Exactly what is the 'hearie' status vs. hoh? If someone have managed to qualify for a CI what would that persons hearing status be according to you? 'hearie' hoh deaf or Deaf? :dunno:

we do not live in a perfect world so any solution...including ASL will have a failure rate
exactly! There are even deaf kids(nonoral) who don't undy ASL.....That is why you have to do an ala carte thing, when it comes to methodology.

I'd like to say good luck to you and your son in his up coming surgery. I've always heard, just not very well, I'm not as deaf as some but I did just recieve a CI. I really like it. :)

He may decide differently about the device when he is older, everyone is different ;) but nothing ventured nothing gained.

GNU... Fragmenter is right in some way... since I learned that there are lots of deafies in his family and relatives.... one of my dearest friends just callled me on VP confessed to me that she had CI implanted not long while ago... She was scared that I would hate her... I do not hate her for this... It was her choice..I had known her for many years .. she wore the hearing aids and always wants to hear lots of things and even tried to learn to play the piano... Now she told me herself she can hear the birds chiirping.... Yet she still is involved with the Deaf Culture.. she still uses the ASL full time... I guess that CI did not stop her from using ASL .. She did consider herself a hearing person... I can assume that Fragmenter still would use the ASL if he has CI implants... SO BE IT !!!!

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

She was scared that I would hate her...

That is so sad.
Instead of knowing she can come to you with her decision and receive support when she needed it most, she felt she had to do it behind your back - WHY? have you thought about it?

Fuzzy

SxyPorkie said:
GNU... Fragmenter is right in some way... since I learned that there are lots of deafies in his family and relatives.... one of my dearest friends just callled me on VP confessed to me that she had CI implanted not long while ago... She was scared that I would hate her... I do not hate her for this... It was her choice..I had known her for many years .. she wore the hearing aids and always wants to hear lots of things and even tried to learn to play the piano... Now she told me herself she can hear the birds chiirping.... Yet she still is involved with the Deaf Culture.. she still uses the ASL full time... I guess that CI did not stop her from using ASL .. She did consider herself a hearing person... I can assume that Fragmenter still would use the ASL if he has CI implants... SO BE IT !!!!

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

BINGO!!! Thanks for understanding Fragmenter! Again, do you know how we are related?
I'll give you 3 guesses. (if you had read this entire post, you would know who I am)
That is WAY cool that your friend did that!

SxyPorkie said:

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

Sounds like she is a dearly loved friend to you. I think that people have different dreams and interests but I think that this adds spice to any friendship.

It sounds like she values your friendship.

Audiofuzzy said:
That is so sad.
Instead of knowing she can come to you with her decision and receive support when she needed it most, she felt she had to do it behind your back - WHY? have you thought about it?

Fuzzy
yes I understood her feelings... she told me that she should go to me.. she knew I would understand her .. I know her for long time she always wants to hear certain things.... I knew she tried to play the piano.. she even hired a piano teacher... I never critized her for that...

You got wrong impression!!! I was not only one she was afraid... lots of her friends,,, I was first friend she confessed to me.. I was not even angry with her..I told her personallly that I was not surprised!!!!

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

greema said:
BINGO!!! Thanks for understanding Fragmenter! Again, do you know how we are related?
I'll give you 3 guesses. (if you had read this entire post, you would know who I am)
That is WAY cool that your friend did that!

I dont really know you... I did read one of posts i cannot remember which thread that you are the mother of Fragmenter .. I found out about few days ago...One thing really bothered me is that your husband was dead against sending kids to the deaf school.. he went there himself.. I wondered if anything had happened to your husband in the deaf school??????

I am not totally against anyone who wants CI implanted... it is their choice
I am against having babies and toddlers having CI while they are unable to make a choice...

Thanks!!!
SxyPorkie

R2D2 said:
Sounds like she is a dearly loved friend to you. I think that people have different dreams and interests but I think that this adds spice to any friendship.

It sounds like she values your friendship.

Yes.. she is my close friend I keep in touch with her after I moved to other state... we see each other on vp...

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

SxyPorkie said:
I dont really know you... I did read one of posts i cannot remember which thread that you are the mother of Fragmenter .. I found out about few days ago...One thing really bothered me is that your husband was dead against sending kids to the deaf school.. he went there himself.. I wondered if anything had happened to your husband in the deaf school??????

I am not totally against anyone who wants CI implanted... it is their choice
I am against having babies and toddlers having CI while they are unable to make a choice...

Thanks!!!
SxyPorkie

Yes, that's right, I am Fragmenter's mom -- 1st generation deaf. I didn't say anything about my husband being against sending our kids to the state school for the deaf. It was a mutual agreement between us as we did not want our kids living in a residential school and we live in a big city where we had better choices.
What I specifically said about my husband was that he was the one who told Fragmenter we'll support them.
We fully support Fragmenter's and his wife's decision to have their son implanted.

greema said:
Yes, that's right, I am Fragmenter's mom -- 1st generation deaf. I didn't say anything about my husband being against sending our kids to the state school for the deaf. It was a mutual agreement between us as we did not want our kids living in a residential school and we live in a big city where we had better choices.
What I specifically said about my husband was that he was the one who told Fragmenter we'll support them.
We fully support Fragmenter's and his wife's decision to have their son implanted.

That's right you DID NOT say anthing.. but Fragmenter said something that his father did not want him to go to the deaf school in first place,, even tho' his father had attened to the deaf school... I figured that something had happened in the deaf school...

I was born hearing.. but my parents were deaf.. i become HOH at early age.,, were sent to the deaf school where my father had attended... my mother went to the deaf school in other state...I wore two hearing aids at age of 35... now i am fully deaf,, I am not complaining... still am happy with my life,

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

Back