Why do people call America FREE when it's not?

Freedom, independence, liberty refer to an absence of undue restrictions and an opportunity to exercise one's rights and powers. Freedom emphasizes the opportunity given for the exercise of one's rights, powers, desires, or the like: freedom of speech or conscience; freedom of movement. Independence implies not only lack of restrictions but also the ability to stand alone, unsustained by anything else
- freedom - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Freedom, what a difficult word to define. Some of you have suggested that laws make us 'less free', although most laws are used to protect our 'freedom'.

Should I be 'free' to have slaves? Should I be 'free' to take another's life?

Laws protect from that, however, laws don't prevent me from doing it. I could kill whoever I wanted at any time, however I would have to pay the consequence for my action. I could drink and drive, I could smoke in a 'no-smoking' area, I could pray out loud in school if I wanted. Laws can't stop me from doing something, they only present a restriction, and define the consequence associated to my action.

For those of us who feel 'trapped' by society, we are annoyed by the pressures created by trying to cope with society. The fact that I am under pressure to get a job, to buy food from a grocery store, to pay taxes to our government, to drive on the right side of the road... or on the road at all...

Why can I not just build a little house in a forest, near a lake, fish and grow my own food, ignore the restraints of your society and enjoy a simple life?
Cause the government owns that forest. The government owns that lake. The government controls the fishing.

We don't fight for our freedom. We fight so our government can maintain control and power, and provide the illusion of freedom to its people.

Perhaps its because people are too stupid to get along. Perhaps people are just 'bad' and will always need to be controlled in some way.
Maybe it's because people are just too dumb to notice what is happening....

- This post has been brought to you by: ANARCHY

Those made me wonder which country treat deaf people the best.

What does that mean? Well, I mean where deaf people can get good education, drive a car (own a driver license), get a job, get married, have a family, and etc. One where they are allowed to fight against discrimination and opportunities to make a change in the society.

Those are a general idea.

Do anyone have list of which countries treat deaf people the best? I think it's America based on what I have read and heard...unless I am mistaken.

The thing about America is that although we have these freedom guaranteed by our Bills of Right, we live in a culture where too many stupid people make mistakes and want to find people or companies to blame for their mistakes. So, they create lawsuits and waste our taxpayers money suing for their own stupid mistakes, making companies have to pay for something they did not have to do. Then we have to create more and more laws to protect everyone. One of these days, we will have too many laws and our freedoms will feel non-existent. People need to be made accountable for their own stupidity rather than be allowed to make money off their mistakes.

Yes, the example of all we Europeans are total speechless about those poodle and micowave story at years ago... We find it´s very stupid and feeble excuse to blame companies for that when she KNEW what micowave is about... We laughed when they add warning signal on all microwaves "Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them" after what happened to lady´s poodle. They forget to add extra for human "Do not put infants and pets in the microwave". I hope anyone won´t find feeble excuse to sue the companies for not warn them to dry their babies in the micowave. We don´t have warning signal like this here in Germany because we know the pets should not in the micowave...

Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them

(idea) by arieh (1.2 d) (print) ? 1 C! Thu Aug 15 2002 at 0:09:31

A warning supposedly found on all microwaves ... somewhere.
"Did you hear about the woman who sued the microwave manufacturers after she killed her dog?

You see, there was this old lady who had a little dog, a poodle or something. It was her only companion, and she used to take it for walks and bath it regularly. She developed a routine. First she'd wash it, then towel-dry it, then put it in her electric oven on the lowest power for 5 minutes. She reckoned this gave her dog the best, smoothest coat.

Anyway, she gets given a microwave oven by her daughter. One day while drying her dog she looks at the microwave and thinks "It's quick, it heats stuff up, I'll use it instead of the oven". She puts the microwave on low power and puts the dog in.

Now the thing about microwaves is that they don't work like ovens, but heat water molecules directly. While the old lady went to put on the kettle, the little dog exploded.

Naturally the woman's upset about this, but rather than buy a new dog she decides to sue the manufacturer for insufficient warnings. After all, how was she supposed to know that it wasn't safe for the dog? She wins her case, and gets awarded like three million dollars for her distress.

That's why all microwaves in the USA now carry the warning "Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them".

True story".

This is a particularly persistent urban legend, and one which keeps re-inventing itself. I was originally told this story as an example of insane American litigation. However, that part was tacked on much later

This story seems to have first occurred in 1976, and has been cropping up ever since then. It even found its way into the 1991 film "The Willies". The animal in question is sometimes a cat, sometimes a dog. The old lady is a pretty permanent fixture. The animal doesn't explode in every version of the story; sometimes it just dies.

It's a lie. There are no genuine recorded cases of people accidentally microwaving their pets. On purpose, sure. People will do pretty much anything cruel. But either nobody has accidentally killed their pet, or nobody wants to own up to it.

Incidentally, the story becomes a bit more credible with the legal action bit, as above. A good reason to admit the stupidity would be to fight a court case. But alas, there has been no such case.

finally, the acid test; the proof that the legend of the poodle in the microwave is untrue:

Search your microwave oven and its documentation for the phrase "Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them".

Did you find it?

I thought not

Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them@Everything2.com

Not just it but also sue companies over cigarettes when they know cigarettes cause their healthy...

Also parents need to take more responsibilities for their children and be more strict than to allow their children grow up quite spoiled thinking they can do anything and get away with anything during troubles. I think it's quite pathetic.

Yes I has to agree with you on this but I can image to myself if I live in USA then I would have much trouble with US law over children protection... CPS would take my children away because I teach my children to respect alochol in my house under parent supersivon, or they will sue me for neglect my children for go to shopping for few hours... Police were at my house that´s time my boys were alone. They told the police that I went to town to get something and will be back soon. They have no problem for that and told them that they will back within 30 minutes. Do police arrest me for neglect my children? No, they are not because I am mother and know my children´s maturity, not CPS or government. Authority would arrest me for sexuality abuse after get the photo of me with my children together in the bath or kiss my baby´s belly from the man from shop who develop the photos for me, and go on.... It´s really scary..... I´m mother and know my children well and know my limit, not CPS or Government... It´s CPS and Government´s job to do something if the parents REALLY abuse/neglect their children.

OK, Maybe America is not perfect, our Government is not
perfect, oh so many problems...but, so what? so does other
countries! Some countries are worse than others...you know
what i mean? Like some communist countries for example..

You dont like the freedom we have here in America, well, then
go live in communist China, North Korea, etc...see how you like
it, heh!
I love USA and im happy living in America, i would not, ever live anywhere else in the world, other than United States of America!!!!

I agree, wholeheartly with Kuifje75 with his comment about America as
he says it better than i can.

Those made me wonder which country treat deaf people the best.

What does that mean? Well, I mean where deaf people can get good education, drive a car (own a driver license), get a job, get married, have a family, and etc. One where they are allowed to fight against discrimination and opportunities to make a change in the society.

Those are a general idea.

Do anyone have list of which countries treat deaf people the best? I think it's America based on what I have read and heard...unless I am mistaken.

Well, I have been compared between England, Germany, Australia & America. There´re many cons/pros about them and would say that England is better advantage than Germany, Australia & America.

My big wish to have videophone for gratis like you all have in USA... what a lucky you all are... wow!!!!!!

I don't believe that quality of life chart that leibling provided. Washington, DC can't have better quality of life than Seattle. The crime there is MUCH higher than Seattle and many other reasons. It's all statistics and it can be wrong sometimes.

San Francisco has a MUCH higher cost of living than Seattle, too. It's misleading..

I don't believe that quality of life chart that leibling provided. Washington, DC can't have better quality of life than Seattle. The crime there is MUCH higher than Seattle and many other reasons. It's all statistics and it can be wrong sometimes.

San Francisco has a MUCH higher cost of living than Seattle, too. It's misleading..

Very true ! WA, DC have soo many survelliance cameras all over places and even, there's lots of FBIs, detectives, and PIs everywhere. They are protectin' the President over there, no matter if, that White House is not that far or close. The crimes are STILL very high over there. I am glad I don't live over there! :lol:

Very true ! WA, DC have soo many survelliance cameras all over places and even, there's lots of FBIs, detectives, and PIs everywhere. They are protectin' the President over there, no matter if, that White House is not that far or close. The crimes are STILL very high over there. I am glad I don't live over there! :lol:

Of course, I'm glad that I don't live over there either. ;)

Well, I have been compared between England, Germany, Australia & America. There´re many cons/pros about them and would say that England is better advantage than Germany, Australia & America.

My big wish to have videophone for gratis like you all have in USA... what a lucky you all are... wow!!!!!!

Really?!? I thought England treated deaf people horribly, and it seemed like they treated gay people even better than deaf people in England, which is opposite from what's occurring in America.

But again, I don't know many pros/cons in other countries which is why I was asking.

For those of you who believe America is not free, I ask this:

Other than complaining, what are you doing about it?

Working to improve the situation?

Planning to move to another country?

Well, at least America is free enough to allow you to complain about freedom without risking your life. :)

:werd:...

Yes, the example of all we Europeans are total speechless about those poodle and micowave story at years ago... We find it´s very stupid and feeble excuse to blame companies for that when she KNEW what micowave is about... We laughed when they add warning signal on all microwaves "Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them" after what happened to lady´s poodle. They forget to add extra for human "Do not put infants and pets in the microwave". I hope anyone won´t find feeble excuse to sue the companies for not warn them to dry their babies in the micowave. We don´t have warning signal like this here in Germany because we know the pets should not in the micowave...
We don't have that warning in USA microwave ovens either. It's a fake story. :roll:

We don't have that warning in USA microwave ovens either. It's a fake story. :roll:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Microwaved Pet

I am speechless after read those snope.com because I never heard in my life about the dry pet in the microwave. We use towel to dry our pets until we heard the happened about a lady and her poodle for a first time at years ago. She sued the microwave company and won because there're no warning label on microwave. This situation spread out to the world. A lady would sue meida to make herself millionarie for defamatry but she doesn't. :dunno:

Really?!? I thought England treated deaf people horribly, and it seemed like they treated gay people even better than deaf people in England, which is opposite from what's occurring in America.

But again, I don't know many pros/cons in other countries which is why I was asking.

:dunno:

I thought it's deaf techology, rights, etc, you question us about. It must be that I misunderstand your first post.

I cannot say that England is the worst than other countries but I would say that all over the world is the same.

I was born and raised in England and have no problem to be treat like this in England before move to live in Germany at 22 years ago. I have many British friends - nobody complaint about this... :dunno: We compared our deaf rights, etc... Of course there're many cons and pros but I think England is more advantage than Germany and other countries is get money from deaf allowance, 24 hours subtitles on TV, free TTY, clock alarm, flash lighting, free transportation (underground, buses,) etc.

Here in Germany do have rights but different as in England. We don't have deaf allowance, 5 or 6 subtitles on TV a day as in England but we don't pay TV annual charge but England yes... I have one choice - % tax discount on car or EUR 60 a year to use transportation... We have % tax discount on our wage slip and 5 days extra leave annual accord disabity rights. Health Insurance cover the cost for flash lighting, clock alarm, baby alarm, etc., not TTY or videophone... We have to pay TTY or videophone out of our pocket because it belong "luxury". At America, they have free TTY and videophone except flash lighting, clock alarm, baby alarm, etc.

Like what I say before that we have cons and pros about disability rights in the world. To my POV that England is better advantage but I live in Germany and satisfy what I have with no complaint... I only answer to your question but honest, I am not really complaint about this...

Back