Why do people become atheists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In school we learned about the Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian gods and religions, and also about Buddhism, Confucianism, and Hinduism. They were very interesting from literary and historical perspectives but I was never inspired to follow any of them.

In school we learned about the Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian gods and religions, and also about Buddhism, Confucianism, and Hinduism. They were very interesting from literary and historical perspectives but I was never inspired to follow any of them.

Yes, it's normal .

How do you know God then if not believing the bible?

I'm not speaking of Religion, I was talking about God, knowing God you would have to know the bible, without the bible You don't know God. It's the truth. :)

Sun? :confused: but others worshiping different gods and goddesses.

I just wanted to make sure that Cheri understand that there are so many different Gods that are not always coming from the bible. So, people have their own belief as God is there, but not believing the Bible itself. That is agnositic. :thumb:

Atheism vs. Agnosticism

What's the Difference? Are they Alternatives to Each Other?

Question:

If atheism is just disbelief in gods, then what is the difference between that and agnosticism?

Response:

Many people who adopt the label of agnostic reject the label of atheist — there is a common perception that agnosticism is a more “reasonable” position while atheism is more “dogmatic,” ultimately indistinguishable from theism except in the details. Is this a valid position to take?

Unfortunately, no — agnostics may sincerely believe it and theists may sincerely reinforce it, but it relies upon more than one misunderstanding about both atheism and agnosticism. These misunderstandings are only exacerbated by continual social pressure and prejudice against atheism and atheists. People who are unafraid of stating that they indeed do not believe in any gods are still despised in many places, whereas “agnostic” is perceived as more respectable.

Atheists are thought to be closed-minded because they deny the existence of gods, whereas agnostics appear to be open-minded because they do not know for sure.

This is a mistake because atheists do not necessarily deny any gods and may indeed be an atheist because they do not know for sure — in other words, they may be an agnostic as well.

Once it is understood that atheism is merely the absence of belief in any gods, it becomes evident that agnosticism is not, as many assume, a “third way” between atheism and theism. The presence of a belief in a god and the absence of a belief in a god exhaust all of the possibilities. Agnosticism is not about belief in god but about knowledge — it was coined originally to describe the position of a person who could not claim to know for sure if any gods exist or not.

Thus, it is clear that agnosticism is compatible with both theism and atheism. A person can believe in a god (theism) without claiming to know for sure if that god exists; the result is agnostic theism. On the other hand, a person can disbelieve in gods (atheism) without claiming to know for sure that no gods can or do exist; the result is agnostic atheism.

It is also worth noting that there is a vicious double standard involved when theists claim that agnosticism is “better” than atheism because it is less dogmatic. If atheists are closed-minded because they are not agnostic, then so are theists. On the other hand, if theism can be open-minded then so can atheism.

In the end, the fact of the matter is a person isn’t faced with the necessity of only being either an atheist or an agnostic. Quite the contrary, not only can a person be both, but it is in fact common for people to be both agnostics and atheists. An agnostic atheist won’t claim to know for sure that nothing warranting the label “god” exists or that such cannot exist, but they also don’t actively believe that such an entity does indeed exist.

Atheism vs. Agnosticism: What's the Difference? Are they Alternatives to Each Other?

Atheism vs Agnosticism

Submitted by Anonymous Coward on Tue, 2008-01-29 01:03.

Question:

As Agnostic (actually im not really an Agnostic as i do beleive a creator exists, i will leave my justificationof this to another debate) And an opponent of western religion, I have to say it angers me to see so many people taking the stane of an Agnostic and calling themselves athiests. To say " I can not prove that there is a god therefore, I am as the definition describes without god" is simply false. To be unsure, or to exept the fact that one can never know the truth of existence and creation, makes one an agnostic. SO what i am asking is If your true belief is not that there IS no god, then why not call yourself an Agnostic. What is it about Agnosticism that is not part of your theology.

Atheist Answer

Atheism is a-theism. Theism is a belief in a god or gods. Atheism is therefore no belief in a god or gods, not a belief in no gods. This means that many people who call themselves agnostics are actually atheists as well. The definitions are not mutually exclusive.

I get your point, and in fact I'm happy to call myself an agnostic atheist. I am an agnostic because I don't know whether there are any gods, and I suspect that I can never know. But I insist to you that I'm also an atheist, because I conclude from this lack of input that there really aren't any. It's a conclusion rather than a belief, and I'd change it if some evidence for gods turned up, but it's my considered opinion that if there were a god, there would be more evidence.

It's like being confident that you won't be struck by lightning tomorrow. You can't say it'll never happen, but it's so unlikely that you live as if it won't happen. In all probability, it never will. If three of your neighbours were struck by lightning in the same week, however, you might reconsider that position.

Atheism vs Agnosticism | Ask the Atheist

Atheist vs Agnostic

Many people are confused about the meaning and usage of these terms. A frequent claim is that being an atheist implies certainty about the non-existence of God. The following explanation is presented to clarify these terms in common usage.

Belief

Theism addresses the issue of belief. For any claim about the existence of a god, theists are individuals who accept that this claim is true. One way of stating this is that the theist possesses the positive belief that this god claim is true.

Atheism literally means "without theism". An atheist is someone who does not accept, as true, claims about the existence of a god. This does not necessarily mean that atheists actively believe that no gods exist.

Considering the claims regarding the existence of a god, there are two possible claims:

1. God exists
  2. God does not exist

For either claim, there are two positions one can take with regard to belief:

• belief or acceptance of the claim
  • disbelief or rejection of the claim

For claim number 1 (God exists), the theist's position is one of belief, while the atheist's position is one of disbelief.

For claim number 2 (God does not exist), the theist's position is one of disbelief, while atheists can hold either position.

Some atheists actively believe that no god exists while others hold that neither claim is sufficiently supported to justify acceptance. These positions are often labeled strong atheism and weak atheism, respectively. Additionally, some individuals confuse the weak atheism position with agnosticism.

Knowledge

Gnosticism (in the sense used here) addresses the issue of what one knows or claims to know. For any claim about the existence of god, gnostics are individuals who claim to know that the claim is true. Typically, this claim of knowledge is esoteric and may be attributed to divine revelation. In some cases, the gnostic will assert that this knowledge is available to anyone though rarely through empirical, scientific evidence.

An agnostic is, literally, someone who does not claim to know that such claims are true. An additional, and common, usage of the term agnostic exists as a label for the philosophical position invented by Thomas Huxley. Those individuals adopting this label claim that the answers to questions about the existence of gods are unknown and unknowable. Additionally, many claim that the questions are essentially meaningless as "god" is ill-defined.

Combining Terms

Notice that the terms "atheist" and "agnostic", by these definitions, are not mutually exclusive. You could be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't think one can know whether or not a god exists, but you don't feel that belief is justified by evidence or argument.

Many people assume that atheists believe that gods can be proved not to exist, but this isn't strictly true and there is no word to describe this. You could call such a person an "untheist" or "antitheist", perhaps. Or, you could just call such a person a "gnostic atheist", one who doesn't believe in a god and thinks that his non-belief can be proven.

As the terms aren't mutually exclusive, it's possible to combine them into four descriptions:

Case 1 is sometimes referred to as weak atheism and case 2 as strong atheism. Only strong atheism positively asserts that there are no gods.

It's important to note, when discussing the complicated issues of knowledge and epistemology, that these claims of knowledge do not necessarily require absolute omniscience. It can be argued that we can never truly "know" anything (see Wikipedia:Agnosticism), yet we constantly make claims of knowledge — you may "know" who your (birth) mother is, for example, but you could be wrong. For many gnostic atheists (strong atheists), their claim of knowledge stems from practical considerations. The positive assertion that "gods don't exist" can be made, and said to be "known", in the same spirit as the statement that "leprechauns don't exist".

Atheist vs Agnostic - Atheism - a Wikia wiki

Ever heard of Apollo, God of the Sun? That's what the Greeks used to believe in Apollo about 2,500 years ago around Alexander The Great's era. heh

Yes I've heard of Apollo, watched the movie "Apollo 13" with Tom Hank.

I just wanted to make sure that Cheri understand that there are so many different Gods that are not always coming from the bible. So, people have their own belief as God is there, but not believing the Bible itself. That is agnositic. :thumb:

I would rather to hear it from Seattle.guy himself to answer which God he is speaking of. :)

Many "gods" but only one God. :)

Yes I've heard of Apollo, watched the movie "Apollo 13" with Tom Hank.
The Apollo space craft was named for the mythological god "Apollo". The Gemini space craft was the first one to have two astronauts on board (like Gemini is "twins"). The first ones were the Mercury (Greek messenger god) series.

Thank you, Liebling for provide those interesting links! Actually I am a notheist, which mean having a belief without a god.

Yes Authentic, thatss true! christians need to understand their own choices and beliefs arent coming from the scripture. Like people of spain came to shore of mexico to see their different beliefs and worship than spain's worshipper. they decided to kill or force natives of mexico follow spain 's belief and worshippers without respect/understand mexico's cultural and traditional thru their genernations. thats why I am here to stopping christians critize other's religions.

Atheist vs Agnostic

Many people are confused about the meaning and usage of these terms. A frequent claim is that being an atheist implies certainty about the non-existence of God. The following explanation is presented to clarify these terms in common usage.

Belief

Theism addresses the issue of belief. For any claim about the existence of a god, theists are individuals who accept that this claim is true. One way of stating this is that the theist possesses the positive belief that this god claim is true.

Atheism literally means "without theism". An atheist is someone who does not accept, as true, claims about the existence of a god. This does not necessarily mean that atheists actively believe that no gods exist.

Considering the claims regarding the existence of a god, there are two possible claims:

1. God exists
  2. God does not exist

For either claim, there are two positions one can take with regard to belief:

• belief or acceptance of the claim
  • disbelief or rejection of the claim

For claim number 1 (God exists), the theist's position is one of belief, while the atheist's position is one of disbelief.

For claim number 2 (God does not exist), the theist's position is one of disbelief, while atheists can hold either position.

Some atheists actively believe that no god exists while others hold that neither claim is sufficiently supported to justify acceptance. These positions are often labeled strong atheism and weak atheism, respectively. Additionally, some individuals confuse the weak atheism position with agnosticism.

Knowledge

Gnosticism (in the sense used here) addresses the issue of what one knows or claims to know. For any claim about the existence of god, gnostics are individuals who claim to know that the claim is true. Typically, this claim of knowledge is esoteric and may be attributed to divine revelation. In some cases, the gnostic will assert that this knowledge is available to anyone though rarely through empirical, scientific evidence.

An agnostic is, literally, someone who does not claim to know that such claims are true. An additional, and common, usage of the term agnostic exists as a label for the philosophical position invented by Thomas Huxley. Those individuals adopting this label claim that the answers to questions about the existence of gods are unknown and unknowable. Additionally, many claim that the questions are essentially meaningless as "god" is ill-defined.

Combining Terms

Notice that the terms "atheist" and "agnostic", by these definitions, are not mutually exclusive. You could be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't think one can know whether or not a god exists, but you don't feel that belief is justified by evidence or argument.

Many people assume that atheists believe that gods can be proved not to exist, but this isn't strictly true and there is no word to describe this. You could call such a person an "untheist" or "antitheist", perhaps. Or, you could just call such a person a "gnostic atheist", one who doesn't believe in a god and thinks that his non-belief can be proven.

As the terms aren't mutually exclusive, it's possible to combine them into four descriptions:

Case 1 is sometimes referred to as weak atheism and case 2 as strong atheism. Only strong atheism positively asserts that there are no gods.

It's important to note, when discussing the complicated issues of knowledge and epistemology, that these claims of knowledge do not necessarily require absolute omniscience. It can be argued that we can never truly "know" anything (see Wikipedia:Agnosticism), yet we constantly make claims of knowledge — you may "know" who your (birth) mother is, for example, but you could be wrong. For many gnostic atheists (strong atheists), their claim of knowledge stems from practical considerations. The positive assertion that "gods don't exist" can be made, and said to be "known", in the same spirit as the statement that "leprechauns don't exist".

Atheist vs Agnostic - Atheism - a Wikia wiki
Lieb, thank you for more clarfication and expose thru #295, #304, #305, #306 posts than other did not give enough infomations.

Many thanks for share and teach me about atheist and agnostic. I saved #295, #304, #305, #306 in my folders. ;) However You or other can't make me the atheist nor agnostic like others can't make me their religion if they believed my word and follow me. they want me their leader. they can't make me become one of them. that what I believe my own beliefs and intincts. I always believe the mother nature where I born. not from magic or religion. thats why I am from natural parents like mamnals. smile

NOTE: There is bother me that Most christians always critize other's religious, whores, wicked people. But they did not CIRTIZE on gays and embrace them. that's very odd and opposite!

Last edited:
Many thanks for share and teach me about atheist and agnostic. I saved #295, #304, #305, #306 in my folders. ;) However You or other can't make me the atheist nor agnostic like others can't make me their religion if they believed my word and follow me. they want me their leader. they can't make me become one of them. that what I believe my own beliefs and intincts. I always believe the mother nature where I born. not from magic or religion. thats why I am from natural parents like mamnals. smile

Yupp believe in anyway by your own heart, which who you really are :)

NOTE: There is bother me that Most christians always critize other's religious, whores, wicked people. But they did not CIRTIZE on gays and embrace them. that's very odd and opposite!

Well, being honestly, I feel the Christians have pretty less respect to homosexuals while they label us as "Sinners", also the MAIN reason why Same-Sex Marriage was difficult to legalize because of Christians! They think it is ok to be Gay, but not ok to DO IT. Remember their word "Love the Sinners, Hate the Sins".

This is one of my big reasons why I never inspired by Christianity religion.

By the way, yeah I can't believe that some of religions actually believe to discriminate against other religions... *sigh* oh well..

Yupp believe in anyway by your own heart, which who you really are :)

Well, being honestly, I feel the Christians have pretty less respect to homosexuals while they label us as "Sinners", also the MAIN reason why Same-Sex Marriage was difficult to legalize because of Christians! They think it is ok to be Gay, but not ok to DO IT. Remember their word "Love the Sinners, Hate the Sins".

This is one of my big reasons why I never inspired by Christianity religion.

By the way, yeah I can't believe that some of religions actually believe to discriminate against other religions... *sigh* oh well..

You saying "Christians" You're speaking about every Christians out there, Christoflove is a Christians and you judging him and You're also judging me too, and other Christians who are on AD that supports homosexuals, we even have friends who are homosexuals.

You should be careful how you wording out on your posts, because it'll backfire right at you.

Since you are so mean to the Christians, now I lost my respect for homosexual people, all because of you.

You saying "Christians" You're speaking about every Christians out there, Christoflove is a Christians and you judging him and You're also judging me too, and other Christians who are on AD that supports homosexuals, we even have friends who are homosexuals.

You should be careful how you wording out on your posts, because it'll backfire right at you.

Since you are so mean to the Christians, now I lost my respect for homosexual people, all because of you.

Oh yup, not all christians are against on homosexual, just mixed of them but conservative christians are more likely to be so.

I'm sorry about you feel like that after Puyo said like that, also I remember about your post from closet section.

Being honestly, I am getting tired of you overreacting my post... I mean SOME, not all, you and I argue the same thing many times.

All I see you kept making me look like I was arguing, but all I do was explain to XBGAMER that not all Christian intolerance the homosexals.

Me mean to Christians? Where? I don't remmy that... Also you obsiviously never social with homosexuals that much, alot of them feel so offended by Christian to label them as "sinner", they felt that Christian have no respect for them.

If you kept making our discussion look like arguing, then I will stop debate with you because I am not looking for DRAMA.

Being honestly, I am getting tired of you overreacting my post... I mean SOME, not all, you and I argue the same thing many times.

Look at your own post "I feel the Christians" If you meant some then say "some". because Christians means "All"
Me mean to Christians? Where? I don't remmy that... Also you obsiviously never social with homosexuals that much, alot of them feel so offended by Christian to label them as "sinner", they felt that Christian have no respect for them.

I never social with homosexuals that much? You know my life, You know who I hang out with? You don't know anything about me zippo.

You started the drama mister.

Look at your own post "I feel the Christians" If you meant some then say "some". because Christians means "All"

See, now you still arguing about what is the different between not saying "some" or saying "some".

I never social with homosexuals that much? You know my life, You know who I hang out with? You don't know anything about me zippo.

Whatever, but I have LOT of glbt friends and have been hearing many glbt's eye toward to Christians.

You started the drama mister.

Nah, you did. You come to my post with overreacting post.

XBGMER, Jillo gave you a correct answer - "No, an atheist and an agnostic are two different things. An atheist says "God does not exist." and an agnostic says, "Maybe God does exist, maybe he doesn't. I just haven't seen any evidence to support that he does."

Yes, that´s exact what you provided the dictionary. Let me to provide my favorite dictonary.

agnostic definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

atheist definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Is atheist and agnostic same thing? My answer is No.

I doubt God´s existence and then next day I beleive God´s existence. Sometimes I say :dunno: It doesn´t mean that I deny God´s existence. I am still look both sides between Evolution and Creatisum. I accept my knowledge that I am an agnostic because I beleive in Reality.

As you said that you beleive God as person, not heaven which mean is you are an agnostic.

If you said that you NEVER beleive God and know for the sure that there´re NO God which mean is you are an atheist.

Thank you, Liebling.:ty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back