Why are you deaf?

Thanks

Thanks for explaining :)
Regardless of what the big medical honchos will say,

please do go to the hearing aid dispensers and see for yourself how much
of a help would hearing aid would be to you. make sure it's TWO.
You'll never know until you try it on.

When I was 18, I was told with the amount of the hearing loss I have no hearing aid will help me anymore.
And it was told this by the head of the otolaryngology department! The 'authority' and all... :roll:

Now I am 54, and not only they DO help but they help enormously.
I can't imagine my life w/o the HAs.

So you'll never know until you see for yourself personally.

As for the CI - there is no rush, but my take on this is as follows- since you were hearing before, there is an excellent chance
that you will have no problem at all adjusting to the CI.

Statistic show the late deafened have little trouble adjusting to CI because they learned to hear and speak BEFORE their hearing loss,
as opposed to the born deaf. That makes a huge difference.

Nor, the CI surgery.
Once again, there is no rush. The CI surgery is nothing however to what you just went thru.
First of all, this is elective, which means it's not a sudden, life threatening disease, non emergency, with unknown outcome.
It is much, much simpler and less invasive.
The hospital stay is at most a few hrs.
You have your basic information about it here:
Cochlear Implant Surgery - Surgery for Cochlear Implants for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People

I would like to encourage you to ask some general info about the CI tomorrow, though, just so you know more or less what to expect
for yourself in your situation, with what you just went thru,

just so you won't be so anxious about it for the future - just so you know,
and in time you will make the decision either way - calmly.

Regardless of if you will or not have the CI and HAs, I would strongly advise to start learning ASL together with your husband.
Together because it makes sense since how are going to communicate with your immediate family, right?
and why not, the more the merrier- and together is fun! :)

Good luck with your appmnt tomorrow!

Fuzzy

Thanks Fuzzy. Great information. Do you think they might try a HA on me tomorrow to see if it works? If not can I go to any HA store and try on HA if I show my hearing test? Really want to find a ASL tutor to come to my house since I have other health issues that seem to get in the way. Hubby and I promised to learn ASL for the start of the New Year.:angel:

Thanks Fuzzy. Great information. Do you think they might try a HA on me tomorrow to see if it works? If not can I go to any HA store and try on HA if I show my hearing test?

My pleasure :)

Hard to say. what's hopeful you've said you will have long appmnt - 3hrs,
so perhaps they'll have the time to see how you fare with HAs on.
The main question is - how they will do that in the dr's office
since the digital aids require programming? well, you'll see tomorrow.

Certainly you can show your latest hearing test at any HAs centre/dispenser
and ask if they could show you their best model for you.
If they say "nothing for your hearing loss- say you'd like to try out the most powerful model anyway - it's your money" :)
And then you'll see :)

There is nothing to lose by just trying it out. Remember,
you don't have to pay for just try them on.

Good luck with your all endeavors!

I am deaf because God made me hearing and later realized his misstake. He fixed it and now I am better! :lol:

I lost all my hearing overnight. Was sick with Sepsis, then had seizures and diagnosed with P.R.E.S. was deaf before I arrived to the hospital. Doctors have no idea why. Sepsis has a very high fatality rate. One month in the hospital. 10 days in ICU. I'm just glad I survived!!

Me too!

Apparently inherited a gene where pregnancy/child birth causes progressive hearing loss. This is my own diagnosis from something I read somewhere and the fact that my mother started losing her hearing around the same time frame. My mother started noticing her hearing loss about 7 years after her first child was born. Mine was diagnosed (through routine hearing test at work) less than a year after my first child was born, but I did not notice the hearing loss until about 7 years later.

Call it a gene or tendency to have hearing loss in various degrees. None of my family members were born deaf or with hearing problems except one niece. My yougest sister was the youngest of all since she lost hers at 6 months so was prelingual. I was 7 and the high fever I had at age 5 that caused nerve damage and result in a very slight loss was complicated with emotional trauma at age 7 which hasten loss. Mother had a bout of pneumonia that stole the last of hers at 32 My brother is now severly hard of hearing after having normal hearing all his life. My middle sister still has her hearing but all 3 of her kids started losting their hearing after high school. My deaf sister has a deaf daughter but the daughter was born deaf and her paternal side of the family has genetic deafness where Deafness is the norm.

My dad thinks i'll be fixed if i get a CI dont want to be fixed. altho wearing HA's are itchy at times.

My GF mother is trying to do the same thing to her. She is finally starting to see that I am not "fixed" and I have a CI. Take it from me, if you get benefit from HA, don't go with CI. If you used to benefit from a HA and no longer benefit from HA, then a CI might be an option for you. But it will not "fix" you at all.

Sometimes I wonder If the people who go around telling people that they need to be fixed, ever had other people wander up to them then insist that they need to be fixed as well. Probably would get very interesting!

I've built up enough good karma in previous lives to be born as deaf in this one. Nothing comes free!

Sometimes I wonder If the people who go around telling people that they need to be fixed, ever had other people wander up to them then insist that they need to be fixed as well. Probably would get very interesting!

You make a good point. I might have to add a new service to my business...

:ty: Fixing the population, one herrie at a time! :deaf:

I was born with congenital hearing loss in low frequencies of about 30dB. Over the past year or so, I've lost more than 40dB in the low frequencies for no apparent reason. They except that I will lose high frequencies as well, and possibly be profoundly deaf by the time I'm 30.

I know my dad needs to be fixed but not me im fine with HA i just need new ones because these are too low any more.

Rh-Incompatibility--Hyperbilirubinemia(Jaundice)

My blood type is A negative and my 2 kids are A positive--developed antibodies to Rh factor with firstborn and those antibodies attacked my daughter all through high-risk pregnancy. Blood transfusions before and after birth saved her life, but the severe jaundice and anemia are probably what caused her hearing loss. I think the bilirubin built up and went into her cochlea, damaging some of the cillia...she has a moderate to severe loss that is more of a mild loss with digital hearing aids. She says she is "not fully deaf"--but she is proud of her deaf identity. BTW: I had the Rhogam shot that should have prevented this problem, but apparently it did not work--very rare in the 90s and beyond. My daughter is happy with hearing aids, does not think she would ever want or need a cochlear implant(assuming she won't lose all of her hearing--may change mind if that happened)--BUT...if hair cell regeneration ever becomes an option, that may interest her(or maybe not)(because that is the reason she lost her hearing, we think--damaged hair cells in cochlea). The reason I think it is interesting to identify the cause--I think it is interesting to meet someone who went through the same experience(Rh-incompatability--and the intrauterine blood transfusions--and the total exchange blood transfusions)--my daughter would also like to meet someone with a similar birth story--just interesting, really. But beyond that: my daughter is awesome EXACTLY as she is! :)

Severe ear infections when I was 4 years old. Long story, but the doctor mis-diagnosed me and told my parents "don't worry, he will be fine". The true cause was never found, since a long time has passed.

My father likes to tell people that I am deaf because he accidentally hit me with a piece of wood....with a nail in it. Hardy har har.

Back