Why are you deaf?

R. E. surgery to remove massive cholesteatoma

L. E. violence and heredity

Deaf is the new "body tattoo and piercings"!

I was told SNHL was hereditary and I was the reason my kids have it. We never found where I got mine.

Far as I know I am the only person in my family to have this. Neither of my parents have mentioned any of their relatives having this. Perhaps it is a recessive gene that shows up only once every six generations or some other oddity like that? My surviving grandfather wears HAs but he is LD I believe, although as long as I've known him he has worn HAs. He was retired by the time I was born. But it's interesting to know that I'm pretty unique.
Left handed, SSD with SNHL, red haired, uhhhh, yeah there's only one of me. :P

My daughter and I have been doing some research into our family history. We always knew that my uncle was HoH from childhood, and so was a great aunt. However recently we checked out the UK census of 1881 and discovered that my great great uncle was also deaf. We're now wondering how many generations our Deaf/deaf ancestry goes back, really interesting stuff! I'd be interested to know if any one else has similar findings in their family history.

My own hearing loss as well as being genetic was made worse by the need to have mastoidectomy surgery as a child.

I was born hearing, but at age 3 I began to lose my hearing by Auto Immune Inner Ear Disease (AIED). And this is very rare, it usually happens to older adults. But It happened to me at 3 years old. I had hearing aids up until i was 8 years old, got a CI done on my left ear, and my right one done last year in september and activated in october.

I have 50% hearing in one ear and was diagnosed at the age of 4. No relative who is HOH or deaf except that caused by the aging process.

I grew up in an area in Sweden that was contaminated by Chernobyl. No, that was a cruel joke. I was already HOH by then and the radiation was far too small so far away from the nuclear plant (it increased the background level of radiation a little bit).

I used HA occasionally until ~5 years ago. I have never used CI. The doctor told me that it is not worthwhile for me. I do not remember the reason that he mentioned. I can just as well wait until our technology has reached a sufficient level of maturity to transfer signals much better from electronics to biological cells. The nervous system is complex indeed. Our knowledge of optics is much better. That is why glasses are fine and no one is bothered by wearing them.

I have 50% hearing in one ear and was diagnosed at the age of 4. No relative who is HOH or deaf except that caused by the aging process.

I grew up in an area in Sweden that was contaminated by Chernobyl. No, that was a cruel joke. I was already HOH by then and the radiation was far too small so far away from the nuclear plant (it increased the background level of radiation a little bit).

I used HA occasionally until ~5 years ago. I have never used CI. The doctor told me that it is not worthwhile for me. I do not remember the reason that he mentioned. I can just as well wait until our technology has reached a sufficient level of maturity to transfer signals much better from electronics to biological cells. The nervous system is complex indeed. Our knowledge of optics is much better. That is why glasses are fine and no one is bothered by wearing them.

aw you do not remember why doctor told you that CI is not worthwhile for you. I really like to know why, is it possible if the cochlea is dying or something inside? i understand.

aw you do not remember why doctor told you that CI is not worthwhile for you. I really like to know why, is it possible if the cochlea is dying or something inside? i understand.

I think that it was like this.

My cochlear nerve in my right ear is working (or I else would not have my 50% hearing). But it is risky to impose a CI there, because you sever the nerve (???), or the CI may make my hearing worse (CI is not as good as full hearing and as compared to 50% hearing, any comparison might be speculative).

The state of cochlear nerve in my left ear is unknown. Perhaps that there is some genetic disorder that makes it not to work, or it could be anything else. You cannot insert a CI before knowing the state of the nerve.

Thanks for you concern, Frisky Feline.

If you have 50% hearing in at least one ear you would not be a suitable candidate for a CI because you have too much hearing. CIs are usually fitted to people who are profoundly deaf in both ears and can get no benefit from the most powerful hearing aids because they have next to no residual hearing.

Also hearing loss is usually measured in decibels, percentages are not generally used. Do you know what your hearing loss is in decibels?

I actually don't know for sure. My greatgrandmother was deaf, no one else we know of. My Mom has a hearing loss, but she still refuses HAs, and her two sisters both have problems with their hearing. So I think it is inherited.

We actually thought we would have deaf kids, since my husband and his brother both are deaf, but you daughter is hearing. I would love to have a deaf child as well as I would love to have another hearing child. Most important thing is health! As long as our children are healthy I don't care if they are deaf or not.

Back