why are American health care so expensive...

It is said that it's because we have no collective bargaining power for bidding. :shrug:

Because we use it for EVERYTHING!!! Insurance is for "just in case", but we use it for ear infections or because we want to go see our doctor for that prescription we saw a commercial for. OKay back up

a) we are not the consumer. Doctors and hospitals etc don't set prices by what WE are willing to pay for things, the first thing you got to realize is Medicare and Insurance companies are their customers, they bargain for the prices and they'll pay more than you and or I they don't shop around. There is no competetion between doctors and hospitals to keep prices competitive.

b) we use it for everything. If doctors had to compete, office visits would be much more affordable and it wouldn't kill you to pay for a simple office visit yourself, actually I've been doing that for freaking 7 years and it's really not that bad. BUT we don't use health insurance like insurance is supposed to be used, like your car for instance. Imagine how much you car insurance would be if you used it to fill your gas tank, get your oil changed, buy new tires, replace your engine etc etc etc of course our premiums sky rocket every year. What happens when you use your car insurance because you got in an accident? Your rates go up. Same thing with your insurance, we use it and use and use it so the rates go up and up and up.

It's a broken business model and it's stupid.

The End

thank god for NHS....i read somewhere lots of elderly americans are going on cruises and getting health care that way

Because we use it for EVERYTHING!!! Insurance is for "just in case", but we use it for ear infections or because we want to go see our doctor for that prescription we saw a commercial for. OKay back up

a) we are not the consumer. Doctors and hospitals etc don't set prices by what WE are willing to pay for things, the first thing you got to realize is Medicare and Insurance companies are their customers, they bargain for the prices and they'll pay more than you and or I they don't shop around. There is no competetion between doctors and hospitals to keep prices competitive.

b) we use it for everything. If doctors had to compete, office visits would be much more affordable and it wouldn't kill you to pay for a simple office visit yourself, actually I've been doing that for freaking 7 years and it's really not that bad. BUT we don't use health insurance like insurance is supposed to be used, like your car for instance. Imagine how much you car insurance would be if you used it to fill your gas tank, get your oil changed, buy new tires, replace your engine etc etc etc of course our premiums sky rocket every year. What happens when you use your car insurance because you got in an accident? Your rates go up. Same thing with your insurance, we use it and use and use it so the rates go up and up and up.

The End

Did you know women paid more for their health insurance because being a woman was consider a preexisting condition . It's now illegal to make women pay more for their health insurance .

One comment under the video:

actually the reason for the problem IS SIMPLE. its so simple I can describe it with two words.
Corruption, Greed.
I agree with that 100%. It pisses me off that the federal government has no control over their pricings (health care costs). My insurance premium always increases every year (about $10/biweekly = $240 more per year).

Did you know women paid more for their health insurance because being a woman was consider a preexisting condition . It's now illegal to make women pay more for their health insurance .

that disgusting treating woman as condition when did that get repealed

The End

a deeply flawed understanding of health insurance. it's not the same as car insurance.

having a car is a choice - something that you have a full control over it including accident, speeding, etc. having a disease is not a choice and you don't control what happens to you.

it's a social responsibility that we all should take care of each other if a person gets sick. that's what villages/tribes have been doing since Day 1. It amazes me to see that the thought of taking care of each other disgusts us.

the reason why the medical cost is rising higher and higher is because they simply can. the hospitals and doctors set the price as high as they can because we would pay for it anyway. this malicious act ought to be outlawed.

Obamacare is designed to keep the cost low and to make it competitive... and to deliver a peace of mind for us all.

Jesus Jiro way to go completely misunderstanding post. Good job :giggle:

A deeply flawed understanding of what I said, ooooooh boy.

Jesus Jiro way to go completely misunderstanding post. Good job :giggle:

A deeply flawed understanding of what I said, ooooooh boy.

most likely you didn't convey it correctly.

Let's not forget the expenses caused by our litigation happy society.

Kff.org subsidy calculator shows this for me and I find it to be quite rediculous.

1zbwaj6.png

Men have to pay more for auto insurance just because they are of the male gender, that isn't fair either, but nobody seems to care about that.

The main reason for insurance cost increase in American is the amount of tests being done on patients. Not long ago there were only a limited amount of tests being done, but today there are many more and some are not needed.

Drug prices have gone through the roof and are always used as a solution to health problems.

Also, hospitals are not allowed to not treat patients so people who don't even have insurance are getting care at a cost to the provider. Because of this, the providers and insurance companies are passing on that cost to other patients who are insured.

Above all, the number one reason is because they can charge more. The government doesn't regulate it enough. Depending on the state they can reject a premium hike, but eventually it will always pass.

The End

My ex husband worked for Walmart and when I was not able to work as health aide anymore I had to go on my ex insurance . Walmart was the that decided what kind of treatments I could get not the insurance company .
I wonder if this will change will the new health bill? Walmart should not be deciding what DR. a person can see.

Men have to pay more for auto insurance just because they are of the male gender, that isn't fair either, but nobody seems to care about that.

That is because women are better drivers , it the teenage boys that drive up the cost of the insurance rate. This is not the came as women having to pay more for health insurance just for being a 'woman' .

Making everyone pay health insurance is just a nice(and more expensive) way of taxing everyone for it.

Regardless of whether anyone wants to pay for another person's health care, the reality is we are already paying for it in higher premiums. It is what it is. There is no magic wand that is paying for healthcare. It was only a few years ago that healthcare was virtually paid completely by companies, those days are gone.

England did it right and we need to move to that system.

That is because women are better drivers , it the teenage boys that drive up the cost of the insurance rate. This is not the came as women having to pay more for health insurance just for being a 'woman' .

Generalizing an entire gender on the actions of the few is quite sexist. Most drivers that almost hit me are female, but I don't think I can say all female drivers are bad drivers because a few aren't paying attention to the road because some text while driving. Judge everybody on their individual driving history, not on what reproductive organs they have.

Emotion should always prevail over actuarial science. :ugh:

Back