why are American health care so expensive...

Clearly you realize that the first pic you posted didn't show your annual income in USD, otherwise you wouldn't have posted another one. 20%, the only info you were showing.....would be a hell of a lot of money. So why are you even asking me that when all I had was the info you showed us?

Yes I realised the first image failed to show the information, but you can figure that out easily from the cost per year and the percentage rate. I understand nobody goes on the internet to do math, but the annual cost shows as $2500 and equals 108.68% of my annual income, so that right there is a good indicator without having to do any calculation. Lets move on, because clearly it has been established that the calculator isn't working correctly right now.

Yes I realised the first image failed to show the information, but you can figure that out easily from the cost per year and the percentage rate. I understand nobody goes on the internet to do math, but the annual cost shows as $2500 and equals 108.68% of my annual income, so that right there is a good indicator without having to do any calculation. Lets move on, because clearly it has been established that the calculator isn't working correctly right now.

I found why.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/h...r-are-left-uncovered-by-health-law.html?_r=2&

You will not qualify for federal subsides if you are less than 100% of federal poverty so it means you have to get Medicaid if your state government accept the Medicaid expansion.

I believe that VA has government election this year.

I found why.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/h...r-are-left-uncovered-by-health-law.html?_r=2&

You will not qualify for federal subsides if you are less than 100% of federal poverty so it means you have to get Medicaid if your state government accept the Medicaid expansion.

I believe that VA has government election this year.

Oh he/she is, that 20% is wrong, the calculator is wonky. I went to the site and tried with my income from last year and it worked fine. But I guess not for everybody :dunno:

Oh he/she is, that 20% is wrong, the calculator is wonky. I went to the site and tried with my income from last year and it worked fine. But I guess not for everybody :dunno:

Glitches and Glee: 5 Lessons From The Obamacare Exchange Launch - Forbes

There are glitches in many states.

Why so glitchy? Well, the crush of consumers led to some crashes. But blame the hurried process to pull off a complicated, unprecedented IT project. Even before yesterday, a handful of state officials conceded that they wouldn’t be ready.

What if his annual income is $2,304? Why isn't he qualified for subsides if there's no Medicaid expansion in his state?

Please stop calling me a he. I honestly don't understand all the programs available to help people with low incomes, I'm still trying to figure out SNAP, let alone ACA.

Last edited:

There is no mistake with calculator but ACA has some flaws.

Originally, when ACA passed in 2010, all states supposed to accept the Medicaid expansion that will cover all people who earn income that less than 133% of federal poverty level.

After US Supreme Court made ruling that states can accept or reject the Medicaid expansion without any penalty, so that left some flaws in ACA and the congress didn't address those issue for people who earn income that less than 100% of federal poverty level.

It is big mess with some part for sure. :(

What if his annual income is $2,304? Why isn't he qualified for subsides if there's no Medicaid expansion in his state?

See #47.

You have to remove the republican majority from the house so they can fix the flaws that left under ACA.

Here is the fact that would upset your stomach.

My previous employer and I paid together almost $22K each year (Yes, your reading correct, it is K) for health insurance for my family. Isn't $22K excessive? Remind you, I have to pay high co-pay! I was trying to figure out what the hell they are doing with these excessive payment? I know one thing for sure, our health insurance is so F....ED up! If you think I'm wrong, better check your employment handbook, in section how much your employer pay insurance premium and how much you pay, then DO the math, it will give you real shock. Most employer pay 75%, and employee pay 25% plus co-pay, and other out of pocket costs.

And supposedly, a person who has family of four, flipping hamburgers and getting $9.00 an hour, how the hell they can afford $22K a year on premium? This is the reason why Obama is trying to fix this.

I see why my former co-worker was right. He said Insurance industry were intention to put fear in this society to pocket hefty profits! And that only benefits them not the customers, that is YOU!

There is no mistake with calculator but ACA has some flaws.

Originally, when ACA passed in 2010, all states supposed to accept the Medicaid expansion that will cover all people who earn income that less than 133% of federal poverty level.

After US Supreme Court made ruling that states can accept or reject the Medicaid expansion without any penalty, so that left some flaws in ACA and the congress didn't address those issue for people who earn income that less than 100% of federal poverty level.

It is big mess with some part for sure. :(

Foxrac an annual income of 2k is NOT 20% level of poverty level, which what was kicking out the subsidy for her. The amount of you subsidy is dependent on you % of poverty level, 20% is too high to qualify for a subsidy, but that 20% is completely inaccurate. It is a glitch with calculator and has nothing to do with Medicaid.

Wait no it's me being glitchy sorry :D although the problem might be her income is so low they can't do anything for her. Seriously what are going to do with 2k a year?

Foxrac an annual income of 2k is NOT 20% level of poverty level, which what was kicking out the subsidy for her. The amount of you subsidy is dependent on you % of poverty level, 20% is too high to qualify for a subsidy, but that 20% is completely inaccurate. It is a glitch with calculator and has nothing to do with Medicaid.

Wait no it's me being glitchy sorry :D although the problem might be her income is so low they can't do anything for her. Seriously what are going to do with 2k a year?

Try - ABC for Health

There is no glitch with calculator. Lower percent means more poverty, higher percent means less poverty.

$2000 per year will be 17% so she isn't qualify for federal subsides because of less than 100% of federal poverty level, so she was supposed to receive Medicaid but there is one problem with court changed the ACA that allow states to reject the Medicaid expansion.

She needs to earn $11,520 (100.26% of FPL) per year to be eligible for federal subsides.

Please stop calling me a he. I honestly don't understand all the programs available to help people with low incomes, I'm still trying to figure out SNAP, let alone ACA.

Do you prefer to use "she"?

Do you prefer to use "she"?

I think that was because I said "he/she", since I had no idea which it is was, although technically I didn't call her he, I left the possibility of she, you know since I used both :D

Try - ABC for Health

There is no glitch with calculator. Lower percent means more poverty, higher percent means less poverty.

$2000 per year will be 17% so she isn't qualify for federal subsides because of less than 100% of federal poverty level, so she was supposed to receive Medicaid but there is one problem with court changed the ACA that allow states to reject the Medicaid expansion.

She needs to earn $11,520 (100.26% of FPL) per year to be eligible for federal subsides.
Are you sure? If so, then why does it show that her ins premium would be $2,504 per year while her annual income is $2,304? That's fu*ked up.

Try - ABC for Health

I know ;) that why I said I was being glitchy and apologized :giggle: looking at it backwards. I don't think she's actually applied for medicaid and honestly I don't know why she's even looking at ACA making only 2k a year. You can't buy anything for that, hell that would only pay my rent for 2 months. She's got to be living with her parents still. I have no idea how that effects medicaid but if she's under 26 she can still be under her parents plan if they have one.

I think that was because I said "he/she", since I had no idea which it is was, although technically I didn't call her he, I left the possibility of she, you know since I used both :D
That was me calling her a he because I thought it was a he. My small mistake. Now we know it's a she.

I know ;) that why I said I was being glitchy and apologized :giggle: looking at it backwards. I don't think she's actually applied for medicaid and honestly I don't know why she's even looking at ACA making only 2k a year. You can't buy anything for that, hell that would only pay my rent for 2 months. She's got to be living with her parents still. I have no idea how that effects medicaid but if she's under 26 she can still be under her parents plan if they have one.

Yes, I live with my parents, I'm a full time college student and I work as a work study, which doesn't pay much or give many hours per week. I'm 23 and no, my parents don't have any insurance, well, my father does under the VA because he is a disabled veteran, but I'm not eligable under him as that medical care is only for him.

Like I said, all these programs to help people with low incomes confuse me and I either never heard of some programs or just don't understand them very well to apply for it. Like SNAP, I would sign up for that, but there are questions that the office will not give me an answer to.

Yes, I live with my parents, I'm a full time college student and I work as a work study, which doesn't pay much or give many hours per week. I'm 23 and no, my parents don't have any insurance, well, my father does under the VA because he is a disabled veteran, but I'm not eligable under him as that medical care is only for him.

Like I said, all these programs to help people with low incomes confuse me and I either never heard of some programs or just don't understand them very well to apply for it. Like SNAP, I would sign up for that, but there are questions that the office will not give me an answer to.

Have you checked with the college? My sister works for Aetna, and at one point was working with the health insurance for the kids that went to college.

Are you sure? If so, then why does it show that her ins premium would be $2,504 per year while her annual income is $2,304? That's fu*ked up.

Because that's how much the premium is. The premium isn't based on your income, your subsidy is. Her income is just less than even what the premium costs, so she can't buy it. But that also means any fine she'd have to pay for not having insurance would be waived. See if your premium would be more than 8% of your income you don't have to pay the fine. In her case the premiums is 100% of her income, pretty much waaaaaaay over 8%

BUT her patents could get insurance through it and put her on it.

Do you see #47? I explained very clearly.

There is no Obamacare subsides for anyone who make income below 100% of federal poverty level.

Back