Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good posting. I really get tired of people accusing parents of not accepting their child because they decided to get an implant for them. Nothing can be further from the truth for most decisions.

RD,

Are there people out there who actually still believe that? :)
Rick

Yep, just like there are people out there who beleive oral only provides the greatest benefit to a deaf child. Amazing that people wouldhold onto such outdated ideas, isn't it?

Good posting. I really get tired of people accusing parents of not accepting their child because they decided to get an implant for them. Nothing can be further from the truth for most decisions.

That is a shame! When are people going to realize that it is not true.

Yep, just like there are people out there who beleive oral only provides the greatest benefit to a deaf child. Amazing that people wouldhold onto such outdated ideas, isn't it?

Yea..and I am not biased because if I was, I would advocate for the oral-only approach for deaf children. Have to step back and see what can work for ALL deaf children and since ASL is a language fully accessible to them (and hearing kids)..I dont understand why the resistance against ASL along with spoken English approach? It baffles me.

I dunno about CS as I believe it can be great as a teaching tool for developing literacy skills but I need more experience with it.

I am the kind of person who is looking for policies in Deaf education that can work for all ..not the kind of policies where each deaf child is passed thru each educational system/approach to find which works the best cuz so many critical years of language development will be put at risk for being wasted. I am very much against that view in Deaf education.

Yea..and I am not biased because if I was, I would advocate for the oral-only approach for deaf children. Have to step back and see what can work for ALL deaf children and since ASL is a language fully accessible to them (and hearing kids)..I dont understand why the resistance against ASL along with spoken English approach? It baffles me.

I dunno about CS as I believe it can be great as a teaching tool for developing literacy skills but I need more experience with it.

I am the kind of person who is looking for policies in Deaf education that can work for all ..not the kind of policies where each deaf child is passed thru each educational system/approach to find which works the best cuz so many critical years of language development will be put at risk for being wasted. I am very much against that view in Deaf education.

Welll said!!

That is a shame! When are people going to realize that it is not true.

Vallee,

The sad part is that they already know its not true but they resort to lies and misrepresentations to further their agenda of denying parents their right to make decisions on behalf of their children.

Rick

Vallee,

The sad part is that they already know its not true but they resort to lies and misrepresentations to further their agenda of denying parents their right to make decisions on behalf of their children.

Rick

The more I read blogs and talk to other parents of deaf children, the more I see the decision for cochlear implants is not a quick decision. I have never heard the words saying the child is not deaf anymore. I read a good blog from Kim at face me about this topic.

How come hearing aids do not cause as much problems?

Yes, there are so many lies about cochlear implants, just because you know a friend or a friend of a friend does not really give the details. I don't even feel that adults can compare what a child has to go through to learn sound. It is a totally different ballgame.

Shel, Do you honestly believe that there is a silver bullet that will work for all kids. My impression is that there isn't which is also why I believe there are so many different approaches. Exactly because one size does not fit all. This is re-enforced by the success stories that we hear from varying approaches.

The more I read blogs and talk to other parents of deaf children, the more I see the decision for cochlear implants is not a quick decision. I have never heard the words saying the child is not deaf anymore. I read a good blog from Kim at face me about this topic.

How come hearing aids do not cause as much problems?

Yes, there are so many lies about cochlear implants, just because you know a friend or a friend of a friend does not really give the details. I don't even feel that adults can compare what a child has to go through to learn sound. It is a totally different ballgame.
Exactly. I have not read one post on this forum that leads me to believe a parent went into the decision for a CI lightly. It's a very difficult decision that requires many considerations. I would challenge anyone to show me one post from any of the hearing parents on this forum that said I chose a CI because I don't accept my child or my child's deafness. And if you can't find such a thing then please stop accusing the loving caring parents of not accepting their child because they opted for a CI.

First of all, I have never been put in that position, but, the role of any parent is to do the very best they can for their children. To give them tools that they will need to thrive in this world. If the parents have researched, gotten second opinions and are fully aware of all sides, then yes, if they feel their child should have a CI, I can fully support that decision.
Face it, we live in a predominantly hearing world and not everyone lives in an environment that fully supports the deaf/hoh. If a CI succeeds in making that child's life a little easier, it has done it's job as would any other tool a parent provided their child to grow. It is hard enough to raise any child in this day and age. Heck, it's tough Being a kid these days... but the truth remains..give them tools they can use and they have a better chance of blossoming into an adult that can take on any challenge.
JMHO and perhaps I am a bit biased since I did not have any hearing problems until later in life.

First of all, I have never been put in that position, but, the role of any parent is to do the very best they can for their children. To give them tools that they will need to thrive in this world. If the parents have researched, gotten second opinions and are fully aware of all sides, then yes, if they feel their child should have a CI, I can fully support that decision.
Face it, we live in a predominantly hearing world and not everyone lives in an environment that fully supports the deaf/hoh. If a CI succeeds in making that child's life a little easier, it has done it's job as would any other tool a parent provided their child to grow. It is hard enough to raise any child in this day and age. Heck, it's tough Being a kid these days... but the truth remains..give them tools they can use and they have a better chance of blossoming into an adult that can take on any challenge.
JMHO and perhaps I am a bit biased since I did not have any hearing problems until later in life.
Outstanding points. Thank you for sharing them.

My parents implanted me CI When I was only Four...the youngest age that can be planted back then in 91' and you know what, I'm glad that they made that decision because I love it, I love to able to hear...

Then in '94 when my CI broke due going down to Plastic Slide, (No one knew that CI can't be in plastic, and I was one of the first) and after numbers of testing and Xrays, they found out that my CI is broken. I remember this so clearly, Mom and Dad Asked me if I want to go to Learn ASL and not have CI again, or I can get CI and get bunch of new Barbies toys. So clearly, I picked having surgery again to get new CI and got bunch of new Barbies toys.

I honestly don't regret having another surgery for CI again, but part of me regrets that I didn't learn ASL, and then again, My parents refused for me to learn ASL at all until I entered High School.

I would implant my Child with CI if they are deaf...because I want them to have same opportunities as I did...but this time, I would let them learn ASL same time as learning ORAL. I want my child to know his/her Deaf culture, something that I was deprived of until I entered middle school and met bunch of Deaf kids.

As for my husband...He refuse to implant his Child with CI...he would just let them be deaf, completely deaf because he sees CI isn't necessary risk of having surgery so close to the brain. If the child wants to get CI, he'll accept the decision...but he won't put CI on the child that can't make decision yet...it's his/her body so it'll be his/her decision when the child gets older.

That's what I disagree with my Husband...I rather put CI on my child at the youngest age it can be planted on and give the same opportunities as I have. So it'll be interesting when it happens, that is if we have a child that's deaf.

"Although cochlear implants improve the ability of profoundly deaf children to understand speech, critics claim that the published literature does not document even a single case of a child who has developed a linguistic system based on input from an implant."

RD,

This is yet another example of the misrepresentations and lies about cochlear implants. Harlan Lane would go around saying that there were no prelingually deaf children who had developed language with a ci. Myself and others challenged him to meet our children who were the exact kids he said did not exist.

One of my friends even walked into a lecture he was given and stated that her child was outside and that she could bring him in to prove that Lane was wrong. Lane actually stated that he did not need to see her son. So much for "academic curiousity"!
Rick

Recently we have unintentionally caused some discomfort to other parents by exposing their children to Drew. After they've met him they begin to wonder what is "wrong" with their kids.

They figure if a deaf kid is out-talking their hearing kid, there must be a problem there. I must admit, it is pretty bizarre.

Recently we have unintentionally caused some discomfort to other parents by exposing their children to Drew. After they've met him they begin to wonder what is "wrong" with their kids.

They figure if a deaf kid is out-talking their hearing kid, there must be a problem there. I must admit, it is pretty bizarre.

Drew's Dad,

Thanks for a great laugh! I will come back and re-read this later tonight after the final game at Yankee Stadium, it will cheer me up!
Rick

my daughters choice

I am going through the CI process with my 9-year old daughter. She has decided she wants one. I really never talked about CI with her, until she told me she wants one. She told me over the summer, that she wants to listen to music. From there we talked about it, and she is set that she wants one. When we went to get new ear molds for her HA, she was asked what color she wanted, and she told them "no, i dont want HA, I want CI" She has an appt on thursday, to see another Dr, and speak some more about it. Then we will be going the following week to figure out when the surgery will be.

She is very excited about getting one. She is ready NOW, every time i mention appt, she gets excited thinking it is time for surgery. She wants it badly, even after watching the surgery start to finish. She can explain what will happen during surgery, from being put to sleep, to waking.

I am going through the CI process with my 9-year old daughter. She has decided she wants one. I really never talked about CI with her, until she told me she wants one. She told me over the summer, that she wants to listen to music. From there we talked about it, and she is set that she wants one. When we went to get new ear molds for her HA, she was asked what color she wanted, and she told them "no, i dont want HA, I want CI" She has an appt on thursday, to see another Dr, and speak some more about it. Then we will be going the following week to figure out when the surgery will be.

She is very excited about getting one. She is ready NOW, every time i mention appt, she gets excited thinking it is time for surgery. She wants it badly, even after watching the surgery start to finish. She can explain what will happen during surgery, from being put to sleep, to waking.
Hi and I wish all the best for your daughter. I am a bit puzzled and would also like to offer some advise. I am puzzled because I don't beleive you are a candidate for a CI if HA's are beneficial. Secondly you must make sure that both you and your daughter understand that no all CI's are successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back