who on this sites have native americans bloods in them?

Wirelessly posted

So, you're like me, dogmom.

Grandad's side of the family is from Chilliwack, and they can trace themselves to Captain James Cook. He grew up in Airdere. Grandma is from Linden; her side of the family is self-contained and can trace themselves to the early 1800s Ukraine and early 1600s low Netherlands. Their relationship was always questionable by my mom's six siblings, so it's all moot point.

All I know, I ain't white enough to be British. Them East Europeans always think I am one of them.

I do know I have a Metis (half French, half native) for an uncle, married to one of my mom's sisters. That and my stepdad grew up among the Inuits for awhile; he thinks he could get native status for some reason, even though his mom said he would never be eligable to receive it.

Last edited:
I think I better skip out of this link because I can get on a great big soapbox!!

My grandparents came from a different era when being a blood was the worst thing you could be. Now every fruitcake that thinks they might have some long lost great great great cousin who could have a little blood in them are running around claiming to be shamans or some such thing. It's the height of fashion. Let them spend a little time on Rosebud or Pine Ridge and see how fashionable it is.

I was born towards the end of the Termination policy IN Jacksonville, Florida, where as you say bein ga blood was pretty much the worst you could do. There have been quite a few times and places in my life, and there will be again, when being Cheroke was just.. the worst possible thing. I've hard "Ah, I can't help YOU with that" more times than I can count"

Thing is, Most people don't know that Termination was the officail policy, and they should. The more people who know the better.

And yeah, they should spend some time on Rosebud or Pine Ridge or a few others I've seen this year.

I think I better skip out of this link because I can get on a great big soapbox!!

Oh man ! please don't skip out on us nette !

*hands you a great BIG soapbox*

You go girl !

Wavedancer (hopes she got all that right)

i have blackfoot and cherokees natives americans in me.

I have one and possibly two Indian blood in me...one is rather a long way down in my lineage. I just confirmed a few things with my Uncle now who is a genealogy nut and has done extensive, unbelievable amount of work on my mother side of the family (her brother). He has been doing this for years and is the brain in the family. I just asked him to send me his work on CD since I've been doing some genealogy work on my wife's side (her father's) since her grandfather is 1/2 Native American Indian but he doesn't know which tribe he's from. He's 91 years old though.

I am a direct descendent of the father of Pocahontas. Emperor Powhaton was the chief of that band. Don't laugh. I found this shocking, too. Even skeptical which is why I want to see his CD genealogy work to see how he arrived at that conclusion. Something to write for my blog! Secondly, I have a Cherokee grandmother that go back about 5-6 generations or so. That is without a doubt.

I have an ancestor where people (at the time) claimed he killed Chief Cornstalk in my own initial genealogy attempt earlier on my mother's side. I'll see what my Uncle came up with and see what his results say.

Not sure of the mix, but ...................................

Algonquin (sorry if I murdered the spelling!) my great x 7 or so grandfather (early 1700's if memory serves me), a trader from France - married a Indian woman.

A little closer to our time frame, lol .......... My great-grand father on my dad's side, married a Ojibwa woman.

My wife's great x2 married an Indian woman from Missouri. Unfortunately, nobody knows what tribe now.

-charles

I am not Native American, but I am related by blood to some who are. My two nieces & my nephew are half Oglala Sioux. Their father is currently 'on the rez' getting them recognized by the tribe.

1/16 Cherokee. My father could use the language, and gave me the name Kamama, which means butterfly. Funny, I didn't know that until I was 19 (he left when I was very young), but all the time I was growing up, I drew butterflies on everything!

My dad ran away from home when he was 14. He said his family "cut off his end of the dinner table" when he left. The family was Baptist, but he went to the Cherokee ways.

Painted some beautiful murals on the walls of his home! They looked like tribal activities.

Like Sallylou and Nette said, it was major taboo for family not to talk about with our Cherokee Culture. That was on my father's side. It was a very painful ordeal having my great grandmother to walk from the East coast to Oklahoma. It is a good thing that my great grandmother escape from the group to hide in the mountain in Kentucky or Tennessee. My mother's side of the family is Cree and also not talk much about our Cree Culture too. I chose Cree more than Cherokee, even I have blood between them. There are lots of Cree in Canada, even in Ontario and Quebec. :( I am very proud of being a Deaf Native. I have some Deaf Native friends from other reservation so that help. Right on, Deaf Native!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
My grandparents came from a different era when being a blood was the worst thing you could be. Now every fruitcake that thinks they might have some long lost great great great cousin who could have a little blood in them are running around claiming to be shamans or some such thing. It's the height of fashion. Let them spend a little time on Rosebud or Pine Ridge and see how fashionable it is.

So you have a monopoly? :lol:

Smith from my mother's side, and her mother did die on the reservation in Oklahoma.

I find it so comical that people claim to have 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever of that race. It's totally meaningless. We all started as Africans but whites don't call themselves black, do they?

Cherokee. I remember I had a friend who dressed up for a PowWow (he reminded me of Chuck Norris, not a trace of Native American blood in him) and he was convinced he would blend in but he stuck out like a sore thumb. Several attendees elbowed me and said I was obviously a Cherokee because of my cheekbones :/ I'm surprised no one accused me of being a Blackfoot *looks at feet*

It's about finding out your heritage and history. Nothing comical about blood division. My wife is 1/8 indian bloodline. It's just good to know that I am directly descended from tribes that were here first in this land as native indians.

Last edited:
It's about finding out your heritage and history. Nothing comical about blood division. My wife is 1/8 indian. It's just good to know that I am directly descended from tribes that were here first in this land as native indians.

And sure give us a different spin/perspective on who really discovered American doesn't it!

-charles

I find it so comical that people claim to have 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever of that race. It's totally meaningless. We all started as Africans but whites don't call themselves black, do they?

Argumenative - at best!

-charles

And sure give us a different spin/perspective on who really discovered American doesn't it!

-charles

Yeah, yankees and illegals, go home!

LOL

It's just neat to know your history and heritage.

I have some Mi'kamq bloodline that I found out a few months ago, from my father's side and Inuit (Eskino) bloodline from my mother's side. My great grandmother was a full blooded Inuit.

:wave: souggy, you happen to know where in Ukraine? Are the places you mention like Chilliwack in Canada or...?

I have read some about the Metis people

I do enjoy taking part in the intertribals at the Pow Wows.

yup, while we thought we knew some part of the Eastern European side of my background, there's hidden innuendo and name changes and picture we don't know anything about, that we just started learning about from my dad's <late 70's> older sister- and then she died. My dad has been thought as being Native by Native American people on many occasions.

I have read and heard stories about the Termination policies and other of the genocide that was inflicted.

Back