White noise?

LittleCat

Reaction score
I get a bit of white noise in my HA's-is this normal? I have only had them for 4 days so I'm thinking this is part of the noise my brain needs to learn to ignore?

Do you still get "white noise" after you turn your HA's off? If so, it's tinnitus.

When you turn up the volume on your HA, does the White noise go up as well? If so, then something's up with your HA (I doubt it though because it's brand new)

Also, when was the last time you had HA in that ear? The longer you go without a HA, sometimes causes white noise feel...because your ear hasn't been simulated.

That's all I could think of!

One could be dealing with recruitment. That may be why the "white noise" increases with volume.

What exactly do you mean by "white noise"?

You know how on TV, without cable connected, and you see like "snow"? The sound is "white noise". Same goes for the white noise machine (which I absolutely hate!) that supposedly makes conversations quiet and can be used for soothing babies (don't ask!).

That's white noise. If you never heard of it, it's hard to explain, but it happens often for people with tinnitus.

What else are you hearing or feeling with that white noise, LittleCat?

You know how on TV, without cable connected, and you see like "snow"? The sound is "white noise". Same goes for the white noise machine (which I absolutely hate!) that supposedly makes conversations quiet and can be used for soothing babies (don't ask!).

That's white noise. If you never heard of it, it's hard to explain, but it happens often for people with tinnitus.
Ah... perhaps, it's the sound settings on your hearing aids?

Anything that's abnormal is usually caused by a lot of things... volume control, ear-mold, ear-mold tube, microphone, T/M switch, etc.

When the ear-mold ages, it shrinks. That causes it to be loose.

When the ear-mold tube ages, it shrinks... hardens... and/or breaks. Sometimes, it gets moist inside and makes things sound clogged or nasal... perhaps funny.

When the battery gets low, the volume control won't work well. Either the volume will die instantly or it will become weaker and sound funny when the battery becomes weaker.

Microphone can get dirty from the oil or dirt in the hair. A hearing aid cleaning kit should have a tiny brush that can be used to brush off dirt anywhere on the hearing aid.

T/M switch is for telephone and microphone use. Sometimes, the switch is accidentally turned to 'T' mode or 'TM' mode. When that happens, we pick up weird sounds that a normal human can't hear. For example... security systems, automobile brakes, cell phones, etc. One time, my old hearing aid was stuck in TM mode. I could still hear like normal, but I could also hear anything that was giving off electrical signals. If a friend of mine was sitting behind me and someone called his phone, I could tell he was receiving a call... even if his cell phone was in silent mode. If I was at a local Blockbuster Video and was leaving the store through the security system, I could hear the long pitched tone as I walked out.

VamPryoX - LittleCat says she only had it for 4 days, so it's brand new. I highly doubt that it's anything that has to do with old hearing aid, old molds, old tubings and what not.

It might be environmental background noise, a fan in a computer, an air vent who knows. I had a similar experience with my new hearing aid and in certain places I wouldn't get it, such as the inside of my car before I turned anything on and the door was closed.

if you can't find a place anywhere where you don't get the white noise, I'd ask your audiologist to see if he or she has any suggestions.

VamPryoX - LittleCat says she only had it for 4 days, so it's brand new. I highly doubt that it's anything that has to do with old hearing aid, old molds, old tubings and what not.
Okay, strike out the comments related to being "old"... but the others still apply.

Moisture comes from humidity and sweat. Dead batteries can be bad batteries. (I had this problem a few times because I found an unopened pack of batteries from a couple years back.) M/T mode is common and isn't related to the hearing aid being old. :)

It might be environmental background noise, a fan in a computer, an air vent who knows. I had a similar experience with my new hearing aid and in certain places I wouldn't get it, such as the inside of my car before I turned anything on and the door was closed.

if you can't find a place anywhere where you don't get the white noise, I'd ask your audiologist to see if he or she has any suggestions.
That could be the case.

Is this your first time ever to hear or hear better? Sometimes, hearing for the first time or hearing much more for the first time can be disorienting at first due to not being used to hearing so much.

I had that problem when I got my new digital hearing aid. A year ago, I got a digital clock as a gift. While playing around with it, I set the alarm for 12:01 am. This was when I was wearing my old analog hearing aid... which I hear well with, but not as well as my digital hearing aid. A few weeks after getting my new digital hearing aid, I would start hearing strange beeps. At first, I thought it was the beep telling me that my hearing aid battery was dying. So, I replaced the battery. A few days later, I heard it again. I would get up and walk into the kitchen thinking that it was something from in the living room or kitchen... nothing. After a few months, I began to ignore it. Finally, I found out what it was... my digital clock! Mystery solved! :)

Thank you all for the info-

Yes, this is the first time I have heard better-and the first time I have heard some things-

I think it may just be the sound noise-I hear it mostly when I first put them in, and it seems to slowly go away during the day. So I imagine that my little brain needs to learn to drown it out.

:ty:

Back