Which word you prefer to use?

What label do you want to use to identify yourself?

• Deaf

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Hearing Impaired

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • HOH (Hard of Hearing)

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Miss*Pinocchio said:
Yeah I guess I am not the only one insecure about myself...
Deaf people are insecure with the word disabled or hearing impaired.
I dont mean to say this but similar concept, I know you're black and you dont care about skin but do you like to be called n-i-g-g-e-r? I don't think so. This is not offensive but just a concept that's' all

Meg said:
But that would backfire, MissP.

You complain that no one understands your deafness in the other thread yet you are implying to everyone that you can hear a little ..thus they will assume you can do that or that.

My Mississippi Vocational Rehab Counselor told me not to put down on
paper that I am deaf, hearing impaired or HOH...
because he won't hire me to work with him and other people with disabilities.

He want me to lie. He reminded me the other Vocational Rehab Counselor
who won't give me interpreter for my class.

I think it isn't right. What is wrong with giving me interpreter if I ask for and what is wrong with saying I am hearing impaired, HOH, or deaf???

People said I am using my deafness as a crutches.
If people think that way.... they might as well give a blind person
a job as a Dentist... :Ohno:

Then they wonder why people sued them. Doh!!!!!!

And also, people can't put me or anybody with disability in an emergency exit row seat of the airplane...
cause I wouldn't know when to open it in emergency.

So I gotta say I am hearing impaired. People are so stupid.

Last edited:
nozobo said:
I dont mean to say this but similar concept, I know you're black and you dont care about skin but do you like to be called n-i-g-g-e-r? I don't think so. This is not offensive but just a concept that's' all

Then all deaf people should not get SSI, cause it is only for disability people and disabled. Right?

It don't bother me much - D/deaf or Hearing Impaired except
Deaf and Dumb
and Deaf mute.

SSI is alrighty ONLY as temporary assistance. They don't pay you well! 575 dollars a month isn't much! Only enough to cover rent, barely for food or anything else!

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Then all deaf people should not get SSI, cause it is only for disability people and disabled. Right?

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Yeah I guess I am not the only one insecure about myself...
Deaf people are insecure with the word disabled or hearing impaired.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
So I gotta say I am hearing impaired.

i respect ur feeling insecure about urself as a hearing impaired person.

first of all, :deaf: = Deaf.

please do not speak for :deaf: people because u do not consider urself :deaf: and u assumed how :deaf: people feel. assume stands for u made an ass out of u and me.

i view myself as a :deaf: person. hearings label :deaf: disabled because hearing are insecure for their lack of knowledge in :deaf: ness.

Oceanbreeze said:
I'm gonna jump in here, if you don't mind? I can't speak to being deaf, per se, but I can speak to what you said about political correctness, which basically, gets on my last nerve! :lol:

Another term that has been batted around in recent years, is "physically challenged..." Basically, it means the same to me as "hearing impaired" does to most of you. It seems to white wash what we face, and "make it pretty" for other people.

Well, I believe in calling something what is it... I was born disabled, and I have absolutely no problem saying it. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but tough. It's who I am, and I'll be damned if someone is gonna to change that about me!

:lol: Oceangurl -- DO feel free to jump in! ;)

yea i agree with ur thoughts on the "physically challenged" being quite similar with "hearing impaired" -- i DO think theyre used to whitewash the realities that are ACTUALLY out there on the various levels of disabilities ppl have regardless of WHAT type of disability it might be -- physical or mental -- there are varying degrees of disabilities! no one person is the EXACT same as the other in terms of gauging the severeness of the disability :roll:

Miss*Pinocchio said:

plenty hearings, not just disabled collect welfare or financial assistances like food stamp, umemployment claim, housing, tutions and on.

I consider myself both deaf and hoh, if that makes any sense. The amount of loss that I have makes me hoh, but the type of loss I have makes me deaf.
I know a lot of other dhh people who label switch too. The term hearing impaired just sounds so clinical and blah.
within every avenue of disability like hearing impaired, Visual impaired, etc etc...
Well in the blind community there is debate about what to call oneself. Blind, partially sighted, low vision etc. Why use the term impaired? Impairment just sounds so negative!!!!!!!

net0man said:
i respect ur feeling insecure about urself as a hearing impaired person.

first of all, :deaf: = Deaf.

please do not speak for :deaf: people because u do not consider urself :deaf: and u assumed how :deaf: people feel. assume stands for u made an ass out of u and me.

i view myself as a :deaf: person. hearings label :deaf: disabled because hearing are insecure for their lack of knowledge in :deaf: ness.

Deaf mean I can't hear anything? But I can hear a little.
Hearing people don't understand.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Deaf mean I can't hear anything? But I can hear a little.
Hearing people don't understand.

ok, the way i see it. no, :deaf: has nothing to do with ability to hear. it's how u present urself like a lifestyle ur living. for example, my language preference is ASL and i require interpreters for meetings at work, church, theater or places i go to. i hang out with :deaf: friends like dinner, movies, professional sport games, and more. i participate :deaf: activities like group vacation, basketball league, golf tourey, investment club and fraternity. i hire :deaf: contractors to work on my homes. i visit :deaf: dentist, CFP (certified finanical planner), mortgage brokers and on. i have many :deaf: networks like job search, travel and etc. i know many :deaf: employees at both VRS, CSD/Sprint and Soreson. i use VP everyday.

it is like the more ur into or involved w/ :deaf: community, the more :deaf: u are.

:deaf: has nothing to do with ability to hear. it's how u present urself like a lifestyle
YES!!!!! There are hearing people who are Deaf b/c they use Sign b/c of other disabilties like tracheostomies or apraxia. Deafness is more of a mentality...a sociological concept. Someone can have unilateral hearing loss, but not be culturarally Hearing. Ever hear about black (or other minorities) accusing others of their race of acting too white? My brother had a professor in college who said that we need to get rid of the sociological construct of whiteness (keeping up with the Joneses, overprogramming kids, going to Harvard b/c of the prestige and other dumbass suburban middle class type dealies)

net0man said:
hearings label :deaf: disabled because hearing are insecure for their lack of knowledge in :deaf: ness.
Bingo!

And my answer is simple: deaf.

Oceanbreeze said:
I'm gonna jump in here, if you don't mind? I can't speak to being deaf, per se, but I can speak to what you said about political correctness, which basically, gets on my last nerve! :lol:

Another term that has been batted around in recent years, is "physically challenged..." Basically, it means the same to me as "hearing impaired" does to most of you. It seems to white wash what we face, and "make it pretty" for other people.

Well, I believe in calling something what is it... I was born disabled, and I have absolutely no problem saying it. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but tough. It's who I am, and I'll be damned if someone is gonna to change that about me!
You are a member of deaf community, you can jump in any kind of topics included deaf-related topics! :P

Fly Free said:
:lol: Oceangurl -- DO feel free to jump in! ;)

yea i agree with ur thoughts on the "physically challenged" being quite similar with "hearing impaired" -- i DO think theyre used to whitewash the realities that are ACTUALLY out there on the various levels of disabilities ppl have regardless of WHAT type of disability it might be -- physical or mental -- there are varying degrees of disabilities! no one person is the EXACT same as the other in terms of gauging the severeness of the disability :roll:

Exactly. Now, on the other end of the extreme, the terminology most people preferred years ago was "crippled". I have to say that I find this word offensive. When I was a young girl, I referred to myself as "handicapped". It seems the terminology has evolved over the years, but the perceptions of people haven't. *smh*

I think I'd be really happy if people would simply stick to terminology that reflected the realities, and stop trying to force down our throats how to act and how to be. After all, it's not *my* perception of myself that needs to change here, but the perception of the Knucklehead that is sitting next to me. If it wasn't for that Knucklehead, we would probably be a lot better off.

:lol:

Last edited:
:gpost: hmm this is an interesting thread. As a teacher, I can see what you mean about IEPs and how it affects the "hearing impaired" child. I would rather know if the child is profoundly deaf, moderately deaf, or has a mild hearing loss. I currently do not have any deaf/hoh students but I might have some this fall.
As a person who is "hearing impaired," I am a bit confused myself. I mostly label myself HOH to deafies and hearing people. With my hearing aids, I hear pretty well (and can speak very well too). But without my hearing aids, I am profoundly deaf in my right ear and have a mild hearing loss in my left ear. So its like with hearing aids, I am close to normal hearing, but without, I am deaf. But I rarely go anywhere without my aids on, unless the battery is dead, then its useless to even wear them.
Anyways, I am pretty active in the deaf community, but more active in my deaf church. So I am pretty much always with deaf people except at work. And my husband is completely deaf, so we always communicate with ASL (and ofc, pagers when we aren't in the same place.)

So I guess RavenSteven is hearing. Cause he doesn't want to be deaf.

I don't go around telling people that I am deaf. People
know that I can't hear right. So they speak up for me automatically.
They said I read their lips... but I didn't know that.

And my English professor said I use too many baby words and my grammars are all messed up. I went to the English Tutor, and she was like whoa...
And it took her all day to correct my papers.

And in class at the hearing college, I liked this guy... he
was taking notes for me... and I got rid of the interpreter :P
So that I can spent time with the guy alone, lol. :hug: :naughty:

I put down HoH, although I'm considered Deaf in our community. I also think that non-signers here are a part of *this* Deaf Communuty.

The DMV has only two options for our drivers license in Iowa.
  • Deaf
  • Hearing Imp

I'm an Imp ...wasn't too happy with that.
It's all sticks and stones, eh?

Steve

Yes, oceanbreeze! I do too! I have multiple disabilties (a couple besides being hoh) and it just irritates the heck out of me when I hear prissy wittle descriptive terms, like "mobilty impaired" or visually impaired or "wheelchair bound"......Most people with mobilty issues can get around...and are mostly part time wheelchair/crutch/ whatever users. It just irritates me that the language of disabilty is defined by nondisabled people's terms!

I picked out Deaf becuz I always think of deaf and schools, clubs & services have everything for the deaf.

Back