Which Laptop is best?

coolworld

Reaction score
Hey Guru,

I wanted to know which laptop is best for warrior road traveler? I'm looking for reliable, long lasting battery, powerful--fastest computer, and uhh definetly, i'm saying again.. stable stable stable operation system.

I'm guessing your brain??? lol.. for me I'd like a Dell or Sony, but u gotta do the homework to compare the specific model u want. I've used my XP laptop for traveling, no problem since I bought summer of 2002 ;) nearly 2 years old and still going strong...

I'd probably say DELL. They are pretty fast and cheap. Gateway usually adds a bunch of things that you don't even need. I've got a Gateway Desktop with a lot of shit I don't even need. Ugh!

VamPyroX said:
I'd probably say DELL. They are pretty fast and cheap. Gateway usually adds a bunch of things that you don't even need. I've got a Gateway Desktop with a lot of shit I don't even need. Ugh!

Dell???? *vomiting* I heard Dell is pieces of Junk.. to be honest my dad own 3 of them they have not been working properly for him when he finally learned that Dell is not a good computer or laptop he has 5 laptops and 3 of them didnt work anymore cuz of Dell now he has two compaqs never had a problem ever since....

Really? I always thought Dell was the best, I was going to make my next one a Dell. Yeah Compaqs are pretty good. :)

Last edited:
coolworld said:
Hey Guru,

I wanted to know which laptop is best for warrior road traveler? I'm looking for reliable, long lasting battery, powerful--fastest computer, and uhh definetly, i'm saying again.. stable stable stable operation system.

I would vote for an iBook or Powerbook.
stable = Unix core gives it a server heritage that required staying up years.
When you account for the fact that many problems with windows' stability stem from viruses and the like, or hardware incompatibilities... why Macs become almost bulletproof. There are no viruses for Mac OS X. zero. Hacking into it? Not likely. services off by default, and its related the most secure OS, period. (OPENBSD).
hardware problems? Apple makes the entire widget. Its not likely their OS would have a problem with their HW.

battery= 5+ hours (6+ for ibook)

power = full desktop power WITHOUT sacrificing battery, size, etc.
No 'speed stepping', or throttling the chip down to improve battery life. Small form factor, without having excessive heat.
The chips in these are the exact same ones in the apple desktops, without compromising anything due to size restraints.

reliable = apple has a excellent record with its hardware quality. There is always a chance to get a lemon from any one, so the key is really the warranty and service. DON'T buy a laptop without a decent warranty. Apple has a one-year warranty, full service (ship it to them, one week turn around max, including shipping. You can also bring to their stores for repair). This can be extended to three years.

A problem with many laptops is you usually have a choice of Power, Size, and Battery Life. Pick ONE. It is difficult to find a good combination of the three. And to repeat, don't skimp on the warranty.

all PC laptop are TOTALLY BORE. Get something behind Dell, HP (and Compaq), Sony, etc...

Cheri said:
Dell???? *vomiting* I heard Dell is pieces of Junk.. to be honest my dad own 3 of them they have not been working properly for him when he finally learned that Dell is not a good computer or laptop he has 5 laptops and 3 of them didnt work anymore cuz of Dell now he has two compaqs never had a problem ever since....
He probably didn't use them properly. From what I've seen, DELLs are pretty good in hardware... but not in software. My friends usually just buy the hardware and install their own software. They have no problems.

weekend said:
all PC laptop are TOTALLY BORE. Get something behind Dell, HP (and Compaq), Sony, etc...
Yeah, laptops do get a bit behind. One big con about laptops are that they can't be upgraded easily. Some could be upgraded, but are extremely costly. Desktops have a lot of empty space for easy and cheap "do-it-yourself" upgrades.

Thanks guys

Thank you very much. If powerbook comes with G5, then it would be my choice.. but it's still G4 and not even at least 2GHZ... But now.. I needed it asap.. I guess it would be either HP or DELL.

I presume that DELL is good choice based on popular of suggests.

Are you looking for buy used laptop?!?

hi adv users, dell is piece of sucks that i telling you. as i am witness that what i learned it from my friend bought dell pc last year. few months later, his dell pc got problem of piece sucks!

anyway, guess what? i selling my 2002 model of Compaq Presario notebook PC 700us:

CD / DVD Type DVD-ROM

Hard Drive: Hard Drive Capacity 20 GB

Display 14.1 in. TFT Active Matrix XGA; Max. Resolution 1024 x 768

Installed Memory 512MB (SDRAM)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Processor AMD Duron 1.3 Ghz.

Modem 56 ITU V.92 and Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

Floppy Drive Floppy Drive..

it would selling for $650.00 included with carrying bag for portable computer, recovery cd, and Accessories!!! no bsing!

Check this Presario 700 series - 2002 MODEL out, that site look exactly like my definitely laptop!

The Presario Notebook 700 series features reliable, stylish and affordable notebooks. The feature-rich dual-tone design includes brilliant displays, full-sized keyboard and built-in Mini-PCI slot to always be connected. The Presario 700 series is perfect for mobile users seeking performance and functionality at a price that fits your budget.

if you interest to buy this for real. let me know please. just email me at ckfarbes@juno.com ..

Note* I just got new laptop toshiba satellite! i want to selling compaq that why.. get it?

thank you for interest in my this laptop..

what I like about Mac laptop... there is simple wireless card insert inside the laptop instead show outside as what all PC laptop usually have.

Built-in wireless inside of laptop seem good idea, but it's not. What if something happen to built-in wireless that need to be repair. You have no way to use the laptop while that laptop has to be at the repair. That's suck, huh?

Thanks...

Thanks, but I'm only interested laptop that has to be at least 2GHZ for some reason that it has to run heavy on media players-- tv, movie, interchangable images animates.

I am really surprised to hear that DELL is not better. I used to love a DELL desktop computer and used to advise people to buy DELL computers. I sold my old DELL computer in order to buy an iBook, and later bought a G5 desktop and a 20" LCD Apple monitor. They are very nice. My mother purchased a 15" iMac G4, and she really loves it. I am not sure why Apple company did not build a G5 for new 20" iMac this year.

Unfortunately, most IBM companies are making re-used electronic parts for new computers for better prices. I like recyle things, but I am not quite sure about the used parts that might be okay...
It seems that DELL is doing the same thing for the recycle parts.

Perhaps, some companies don't like Pres. Bush for all the troubles. My opinion is that most U.S. presidents both sides of Democratic and Republican are just the same.

coolworld said:
Thanks, but I'm only interested laptop that has to be at least 2GHZ for some reason that it has to run heavy on media players-- tv, movie, interchangable images animates.

lol! Apple laptop at 1 Ghz can handle movie, images naimates, movie, Tv and making movie and more.

Don't forget, G4 speed is different processor than PC processor.

I think best thing is to do some heavy-duty research on all types of laptops. I did and ended up buying this refurnished Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 series and I'm fully satisfied with it. ;)

Mhz is pretty misleading when you are comparing different chips.
Even when comparing chips from the same company..

The Pentium 3 is actually faster than the Pentium 4 at the same Mhz.
Intel just ramped up the Mhz of the P4, while sacrificing performance.
Trade-off, but makes the Mhz rating entirely misleading.

Like I mentioned, the powerbook uses the same chips as the apple desktops, not true of most laptops.

Most PC laptops use 'mobile' processors. Mobile processors usually sacrifice performance for battery life, especially when you are talking about 'speed stepping'. (Speed stepping will drop the Mhz of the chip to almost half of its rated speed.)
Keep in mind that all things being equal, a chip with more cache will perform much faster. Usually, a laptop chip has its cache size dramatically reduced compared to the desktop chip. When this happens, the Mhz rating won't mean squat. The Celeron chip is pretty well known for cache neutered.

So when shopping for a laptop, you REALLY need to take its rated Mhz speed with a grain of salt.

The Powerbook is plenty powerful enough to be used as an on-site in-line film editing machine for movie studios. Might not be enough for you.
:dunno:

Check this out with latest PowerBook!

This is for Cool World,

I recommend that you should take a look at PowerBook. If you are living or working in one or near one of major US cities, you should try and stop by one of retail Apple Computer stores and try it out. I guess it speaks for itself. You'd be deeply impressed with professional and high quality of PowerBook.

Good luck with your decision making to purchase your next laptop computer. cheers, ventiCM

What gets the job done.

You need to do your research! This is a site I suggest reading through to help determine what you need.

http://www.laptopadvisor.com/laptop-buyers-guide.html

Most important is to sort out what you need.

As for Mac. I agree with less to worry about and the power of Unix. Apple has a great e-mail application called "Mail". The nice feature about Mail is the program is powerful at managing Spam. I used to get tons of spam, I used to be a Outlook advocate! Switching to Mail, the "Training Mode" was run for 2 weeks. Till this day 100% of my spam is filtered and i have not once had it mistaken a friends/clients e-mail for spam. A real time saver.

When I shopped around for a PC and Mac laptop - Mac was able to offer me more software such as Microsoft Office X included with the purchase of my iBook. Don't get caught up in the Mhz myth. The G4 has a shorter pipeline than the P3 and P4 will ever hope to have... (well until the Itanium hits the public market in bigger numbers.)

Generally speaking - today Macs and PCs are really close in how they perform for users. Mybusiness has both Mac and PC. Both get the job done hands down. I will always be a Machead, but open to whatever gets the job done.

Best of luck to you!
MTIV

(Loving my G5 dual 1.8 running OS X Panther on 2 Gigs of SDRAM.)

Back