Which gets more attention? Burning the Holy Bible or The Koran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen too many police themed TV series, burning something sometimes represent some type of extreme rage, I guess. *shrugs*

I guess it's just an immaturity way of expressing group's angry. At least, I guess it's safer than killing innocents due to bomb or whatever.

I find the idea of burning any book, no matter how much I might disagree with it's contents, extremely idiotic and just... disagreeable. Disagree with a book all you want, but don't make symbolic gestures of prohibition at the cost of destroying that book.

For what it's worth, the fact that the qur'an burning has gotten attention lately doesn't negate the fact that bible burning also regularly gets attention... but of course, when Christian's struggles are painted in the American media, they just get a bit of sympathy. When Muslim's struggles are in the American media, hateful people choose to come out of the woodwork and whine about "the muslim minority" getting "special treatment".

1: being exploited by the media is not the "special treatment" very many people want.

2: Hi, there's over a billion of us. We might not be the global majority, but we're hardly a fringe group with 5,000 members, here!

Well, let's just say that when there is a cartoon of jesus drawn, calling him a cunt or anything like that, you don't have christians burning down embassy's or screaming infidels. On the other hand, muslims regularly post anti-Semitic pictures and hate messages which they are okay with, and then they make an absolute ruckus internationally, over a few danish cartoons... rather poor taste and hypercritical to the extreme.

To say that the burning of one holy book is worse than the burning of a different holy book is to say that one religion is better than another. Neither should be subjected to burning. And the one doing the burning would do well to study his own religion's teachings a bit better.

Having seen too many police themed TV series, burning something sometimes represent some type of extreme rage, I guess. *shrugs*

I guess it's just an immaturity way of expressing group's angry. At least, I guess it's safer than killing innocents due to bomb or whatever.

For burning a curtain(at school) was a way of expressing rage, angrier,pain,ending my school(getting my own way)

There are radicals in every group, including Atheist...

They give all other members of that group a bad name.

Some so called (group here) do (bad things here) all to prove a point to (another group here).

Humans are scummy in general, with moments of brilliance, either brilliantly decent and good or brilliantly bad and grotesque.

Fire is symbolic...... for both a painful, vengeful end and purifying.

I can remember my father making a big fire in metal barrel and burning his mother's book and bibles right in front of her! It was the most horrible thing he could done to his mother! They came to this country with nothing and to burn his mother bible that she brought from home her home country, Russia was the most hurtful he could he his mother. To burn something mean it done forever. My poor grandmother was in so much pain, she was crying and screaming "not my books!" This was over 50 years ago but I can still remember that horrible scene in my back yard. It is burnt into my brain.

it's a complicated issue. because of all the islamiphobio going on Muslims are very sensitive to anti-islamic demonstrations like the quran burning. Muslims are harassed for no reason and the media is constantly portraying us all as angry america hating terrorist. this propaganda is extremely dangerous because most violence starts that way. just like how the Japanese were labelled enemy aliens before they were put in internment camps. Islamicly anything referencing Allah (Arabic word for god) must be treated with respect and can't be put in the trash... if you need to get rid of something with god written on it one of the permissible ways is actually burning it. so its not the act of burning but the reason for it that upsets Muslims. (hatefulness and islamiphobia)

Last edited:
I can remember my father making a big fire in metal barrel and burning his mother's book and bibles right in front of her! It was the most horrible thing he could done to his mother! They came to this country with nothing and to burn his mother bible that she brought from home her home country, Russia was the most hurtful he could he his mother. To burn something mean it done forever. My poor grandmother was in so much pain, she was crying and screaming "not my books!" This was over 50 years ago but I can still remember that horrible scene in my back yard. It is burnt into my brain.

That is horrible. :(

it's a complicated issue. because of all the islamiphobio going on Muslims are very sensitive to anti-islamic demonstrations like the quran burning. Muslims are harassed for no reason and the media is constantly portraying us all as angry america hating terrorist. this propaganda is extremely dangerous because most violence starts that way. just like how the Japanese were labelled enemy aliens before they were put in internment camps. Islamicly anything referencing Allah (Arabic word for god) must be treated with respect and can't be put in the trash... if you need to get rid of something with god written on it one of the permissible ways is actually burning it. so its not the act of burning but the reason for it that upsets Muslims. (hatefulness and islamiphobia)

I never knew this, interesting, thanks.

I feel that the burning of the bible is more commonplace and used for a lot of demonstrations.
Burning the Koran however, can earn the anger of the muslims and Islam followers.

If we compare the USA vs Islam in terms of religion, it's undisputed that Islam has more affection towards their religion in general. Here we are more 'discreet' about it, if my point is understood.
Secondly, Islamic tradition is more tightly knit and less diverse - hence it's more likely to earn the feedback of many of them as a whole compared to the different sects of Christianity here, where different people may have different approaches to their responses of a bible burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back