Which best graduate and law schools for the deaf?

nat84

Reaction score
I want to know which best graduate and law schools for the deaf?

Can deaf people enter ivy league schools for master and law and other top schools than Gallaudet in the U.S.?

Do lots of deaf people go graduate or law schools? Where?

I heard lots of deaf people go to Boston or NYU or Columbia or Yale.

How deaf can get in?

I have no idea which are the best schools for deaf people specifically, but I can tell you that there are deafies that have gotten into the Ivy League for all sorts of degrees.

I read an article on how there has been a rising number of deaf people going to law school, too. I'll find that for you. I'm not sure about the number for graduate school, but I'm assuming the rise ties to that too.

I got into Harvard for my undergraduate, but I know that's not what you're asking. I'd like to know how they get in for law school, because that's what I want to do. :p Honestly, it's the same as for hearing people. Work hard, make good grades, do good on your standardized tests.

Let me ask you a simple question...Why do you go to Gallaudet in the first place?

:hmm:

I want to know which best graduate and law schools for the deaf?
any school. Pick one that fits you the best. You are much more likely to be successful at "good school" that fits your needs than at Ivy school that doesn't fit your needs. Look at me - I'm deaf and I graduated from state school (no grad degree) and I got a full-time career with benefit in just couple months. Not bad for a guy with state education, eh? Many Ivy Leaguers are still on the street, holding up the sign - "WILL WORK 4 FOOD"

http://ivyleaguedandunemployed.com/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ivy+league+unemployed&btnG=Search

Can deaf people enter ivy league schools for master and law and other top schools than Gallaudet in the U.S.?
sure why not?

Do lots of deaf people go graduate or law schools?
well I know handful here in NYC. My brother's soon-to-be. Other finished Master's at MIT. Several ADers here have already completed grad school.

everywhere.

I heard lots of deaf people go to Boston or NYU or Columbia or Yale.
so do hearies.

How deaf can get in?
the same way hearies get in. Read any college's Graduate Admission application requirements.

Yes, and the application is no different for deaf vs. hearing. There are many examples, but following is an article I came across when I was first exploring the significance of my daughter's deafness, concerned at the time that she might encounter educational limitations based on her hearing or non-hearing status. This woman, Sarah, became profoundly deaf at 2, used hearing aids throughout her youth, and was implanted as an adult.

After talking with her shortly after she got her MBA from Harvard Business School, and with many other deaf adults like her with advanced degrees, ivy league or otherwise, and who lead amazing lives, I had no worries that Li-Li's deafness will be a negative factor in obtaining a graduate education that's right for her interests, if that's the direction she wants to pursue:

Sarah Sommer: All-American, passionate catalyst, avid listener

When she was two, growing up in rural Danville, Pennsylvania, Sarah Sommer abruptly experienced profound hearing loss. But with a hearing aid and intensive therapy, she went on to become an Academic All-American in golf at Princeton and winner of the Spirit of Princeton Award for contributions to the campus and community.

During a Fulbright year at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand, in addition to her studies, Sommer was a catalyst for improved services nationwide for students with disabilities. “Effecting national policy on an issue so close to my heart was a terrific experience,” Sommer says. “I found that sensitivity, passion, and belief can take you a long way.”

The following year, at the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf (AG Bell) in Washington, D.C., after illness and death struck top executives there, Sommer managed key tasks and projects so well that she was elected to AG Bell’s board. She then worked from 2002 to 2004 at Outdoor Explorations, a nonprofit that brings together people with and without disabilities for inclusive outdoor adventures. She spent last summer doing marketing for Advanced Bionics, a Boston Scientific–owned manufacturer of cochlear implants, high-tech devices that send sound signals directly to the auditory nerve.

Sommer, who with her deaf husband, Paul, also mentors hearing-impaired children, was preparing to enroll at HBS when, in March 2004, she suddenly lost the remainder of her hearing. Tests revealed congenital malformations in both her cochlea. “I was fortunate enough to receive double bilateral cochlear implants,” Sommer says. “Now I can hear a golf ball hitting the bottom of the cup or the sound of rain on the window, all the little things that make this an amazing world to be part of.” Sommer plans to pursue a career in medical devices, to ensure that others with chronic diseases and disabilities are similarly provided with access to a world of possibilities.

There's more from Sarah here.

Gallaudet has the great accomdations and deaf culture can give me everything to learn from this school as undergraduate program. If I never go there, I would not experienced with deaf culture and will Gallaudet think of welcome hearing people a lot if deaf people wont go there cuz of no reason for social life...where they can have to find serious study?

When you ask any schools admisstion, ask how many deaf students there at college like harvard, yale? we had not heard from there, seeems like deaf people to hide themselves from people in community, but these article that people would know who they are...why did deaf people want to hide from deafies that they go ivy league?

When you ask any schools admisstion, ask how many deaf students there at college like harvard, yale? we had not heard from there, seeems like deaf people to hide themselves from people in community, but these article that people would know who they are...why did deaf people want to hide from deafies that they go ivy league?

Maybe some people are humble and want privacy. What's wrong with that?

any school. Pick one that fits you the best. You are much more likely to be successful at "good school" that fits your needs than at Ivy school that doesn't fit your needs. Look at me - I'm deaf and I graduated from state school (no grad degree) and I got a full-time career with benefit in just couple months. Not bad for a guy with state education, eh? Many Ivy Leaguers are still on the street, holding up the sign - "WILL WORK 4 FOOD"

Ivy Leagued and Unemployed
ivy league unemployed - Google Search

sure why not?

well I know handful here in NYC. My brother's soon-to-be. Other finished Master's at MIT. Several ADers here have already completed grad school.

everywhere.

so do hearies.

the same way hearies get in. Read any college's Graduate Admission application requirements.

What he say, they usually transfer you to a disability counselor to work things out for you.

Harvard and deaf?

My, I'm green with envy!

Echoing what you said...law school is mostly a numbers game, unless it's Yale or Stanford, in which case you also need EXCELLENT extra-curriculars (Fullbright/Rhodes). With Harvard, you stand a much better chance at such accolades.

Harvard and deaf...my, the nachas!

Harvard and deaf?

My, I'm green with envy!

Echoing what you said...law school is mostly a numbers game, unless it's Yale or Stanford, in which case you also need EXCELLENT extra-curriculars (Fullbright/Rhodes). With Harvard, you stand a much better chance at such accolades.

yeah...why did you chose gallaudet over ivy league?

Wirelessly posted

matajan said:
Harvard and deaf?

My, I'm green with envy!

yeah...why did you chose gallaudet over ivy league?

I don't go to Gally. I go to a state university. I chose it over Harvard because of the amount of scholarship money I received from them. I decided to save money for law school by doing that, rather than blowing money all on my undergrad. No one cares where you got your BA, they want to know what law school you went to.

alice09 and frisky feline, talk to me

Wirelessly posted

I don't go to Gally. I go to a state university. I chose it over Harvard because of the amount of scholarship money I received from them. I decided to save money for law school by doing that, rather than blowing money all on my undergrad. No one cares where you got your BA, they want to know what law school you went to.

I am talking to alice 09 from previous someone who reply, i ask her question if she is gally student but never reply on me.

I am surprise that someone is from AD who is intresting to talk to me, but seen two girls seems not reply on my message like alice09 and frisky feline, what wrong with them?

I am talking to alice 09 from previous someone who reply, i ask her question if she is gally student but never reply on me.

I am surprise that someone is from AD who is intresting to talk to me, but seen two girls seems not reply on my message like alice09 and frisky feline, what wrong with them?

Hey, show some respect, matajan. They've posted in this thread. Either they haven't been back or have nothing more to add to what appears to be your deluded fantasyland that there is a correlation between girls and ivy league schools. You don't go asking "what's wrong with them?" just because they haven't provided you with an answer you want.

Back