Where Is Deaf And Hard Of Hearing?!

JoshiesWorld

Reaction score
I am considering to move somewhere but I am looking to move a place where it has the most Deaf and Hard of Hearing residents. So I am asking you a question, where is the place that have the "most" Deaf and Hard of Hearing people that lives there?

Some of you may says Galludet, but that is a university and I am looking for a place to "live", not going to school.

Federick, VA?
Rochester, NY?
Austin, TX?

Something like that. These are just my guess based on seeing some old vlogs saying that they are from these areas but I don't know if one of these do have the most Deaf and Hard of Hearing people which that is what I am looking for.

Thank you for any answers you may give me!
Joshie.

You can start with the NAD state affiliate organizations. Those, and local area organization sites can give you an idea of how active the Deaf community is in a specific area. You can also get in touch with the people who live in that area where you might be interested.

http://nad.org/community/state-association-affiliates

Interesting numbers. It looks like West Virginia has the highest percentage of deaf adults and Washington, DC, has the lowest. In shear numbers, CA and TX lead.
When I lived in Berkeley I met more people using W/C than in my state , it didn't snow in Berkeley so people were able to get around in their W/C all year .
I liked living Berkeley as a hoh person a lot better my home state Massauchettes .

When I lived in Berkeley I met more people using W/C than in my state , it didn't snow in Berkeley so people were able to get around in their W/C all year .
I liked living Berkeley as a hoh person a lot better my home state Massauchettes .
What do wheelchairs have to do with this thread?

There is a very large deaf population in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. It's considered the "heart of the Midwest" so many from North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, some from Wisconsin and Iowa come here for jobs. There's a big deaf club here and so many deaf activities.

The listing from Gallaudet only shows the numbers for the entire state. I think Joshie is looking more for specific metropolitan areas to move to. Reba has a good idea in looking at the NAD site.

I know that Silver Spring MD and areas near DC have big populations of deaf. Sometimes you might find a good deaf community near deaf schools. Seattle I know there is a large deaf community. Atlanta too (though there, there is a big deaf-blind community too).

Really most large cities is a good bet to move to- Austin, Houston, maybe Dallas, San Diego etc. Smaller cities and towns- I don't really know.

Wheelchairs?? I'm sure there are people who can get around just fine in snow. *scratches head*...

Thank you guys so much for the replies! As for the West Virginia, irony thing is that I currently resides right on the border of Ky/WV. I would be able to spits from my porch on Ky side to the WV side so that is how close I am to both sides of the states although I am on the Kentucky side. Nonetheless I can safely say that the stats for West Virginia is... I don't know what's the word I am looking for, not trying to say inaccurate but more of "Is that really accurate?" because I never met or sees anyone who's Deaf or let alone Hard of Hearing on the southwestern West Virginia. Maybe they are likely to be closer to Virginia border than it is to Kentucky.

For past a couple of years watching vlogs all over on the internet especially through YouTube, I have seen most of Deaf or Hard of Hearing people says they are in Maryland state (specifically Frederick) but then recently I am starting to recognize on Facebook that there's a lot Deaf or Hard of Hearing resides in Austin, TX (Convo Relay is based there I believe) and they are surrounded by few Deaf clubs.

It make sense to look for any places that's close to Deaf institutions in some of the states because obviously the alumni don't often moves too far away from the schools that they attended and that goes same for Galludet University in Washington, D.C.

As for Silver Spring, M.D. Correct me if I am wrong, is that where Sorenson Communications headquarter located? Even though I may live in Kentucky but I have discovered that there's a lot of Deaf or Hard of Hearing resides in Lexington/Louisville so I might check out these areas as long as they don't empty out of my wallet because any very large cities tends to be very expensive to live in especially the houses to buy as I am not an apartment guy so I am looking for a good family-sized house to buy but that's down the road though because I have to think about the place first before I start shopping for a house. All I know is that I am looking for an area that have plenty enough of Deaf/HOH resides so to feel right in as where I currently live it stinks to not be able to socialize with any of people that shares my culture.

Again thank you for the answers greatly!

P.S. Wheelchair? Well that's good to know I guess.

I know of at least one Deaf person who lives in WVA but I can't remember right now where exactly she lives, will post back when/if I find out. I met her years ago through another friend- somewhere around Beckley, Dunbar and Princeton(?).

I know of a place in Florida from what iv been told it's like an entire town

Rochester that area of upstate ny
Many many deafies

Many

D.c.

And twin city miniapolis many many there too

I was just in Austin a few weeks ago for work and I found that they have a deaf club there. On Facebook search for "Austin Deaf Club" and it should come right up. I imagine you could ask them questions about the community there.

Olathe Kansas. Any place where there is a state deaf school.

they are all over .. but in small groups. rochester, ny, oswego ny, buffulo ny., albany ny, binghamton, olens ny, cleveland oh, dallas tx, washington dc, nyc, these are groups i know of and met them in person.

Interesting numbers. It looks like West Virginia has the highest percentage of deaf adults and Washington, DC, has the lowest. In shear numbers, CA and TX lead.

It is probably because cost of living in West VA is cheap and still within commuting distance to DC where a lot of the jobs are at.

Back