Where do relay companies get their interpreters?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of them don't have sign language interpreters in-house. They probably contract them via interpreter agencies.

If so, what agencies are they?

If not, then how does it work?

I dont think the terps are allowed to say, but I'd say they don't hire through only one agency in a particular area.

The larger companies and even some smaller companies hire staff interpreters that actually work for the company. However they also have contracts with community interpreting agencies in multiple cities that will allow the VRS companies to utilize community interpreters.

The names of the agencies? Too many to list.

Which brings another good question where do relay companies get operators that type for those that use the text relay?

Does putting ads in newspaper seem reasonable to get staff for relay operators' positions? Does "specialized training" supplement operator skills?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Video relay services recruit and hire interpreters to their staffs. Some terps work full time for the companies. Some work part time as video relay terps, and work the rest of the time as school terps, freelance, etc. Sometimes when I attend silent dinners or terp workshops, there are representatives attending who give me their business cards and invite me to interview for their video relay companies. I know some terps who work full time at video relay. So it varies.

Which brings another good question where do relay companies get operators that type for those that use the text relay?

Outta the prison system... True story.

They pay so small for TRS operators... Convicted people usually wind up working for TRS after they get out

I'm sure many of them don't have sign language interpreters in-house. They probably contract them via interpreter agencies.

If so, what agencies are they?

If not, then how does it work?

The bigger companies are in-house. Not many of them have agencies.

This cuts down on the overhead. Sorenson has around 80+ or so locations with 4000ish or so employees to give you an idea.

They pay so small for TRS operators... Convicted people usually wind up working for TRS after they get out
If that's the case, then hope for the best. And hope they do benefit from their new or 2nd career.

The bigger companies are in-house. Not many of them have agencies.

This cuts down on the overhead. Sorenson has around 80+ or so locations with 4000ish or so employees to give you an idea.

I personally know of many interpreters here in the Mpls area who gave up freelancing to work for Sorenson. They said the money was so good they couldn't pass up that kind of an opp. Others have said it's why we have such a shortage of freelancers here now. I have a difficult time myself getting a freelance interpreter when I need one without a ton of work looking for one.

I personally know of many interpreters here in the Mpls area who gave up freelancing to work for Sorenson. They said the money was so good they couldn't pass up that kind of an opp. Others have said it's why we have such a shortage of freelancers here now. I have a difficult time myself getting a freelance interpreter when I need one without a ton of work looking for one.

Yeah. They're not flocking to Sorenson here. Sorenson pays very bad here lol

Interesting observation -a pool of interpreters in prison. Never dull in prison-to say the least.

'Yeah. They're not flocking to Sorenson here. Sorenson pays very bad here lol '
must be bad terp training out west. or just failed snow bunnies looking for a job
down south they give the terps gun training so if a client whines too much the can answer the NRA way

Some friends of mine work for Sorenson from time to time. They put in bids.

Interesting observation -a pool of interpreters in prison. Never dull in prison-to say the least.

:ugh:

PFH can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he meant TRS operators. Cannot interpret without knowing the language, receiving training, & passing a quality assurance screening (if you're a serious interpreter).

it's different story, TRS don't know nothing about ASL. no way for them to able to get their decide to change job to VRS if they don't know ASL at all

Back