What's Your Dinner Tonight -- Part II

ohhh I remember the kosher deli we used to go to, in a frum neighborhood!
it was one of the last ones left in that area at that time<late 70's/early 80's>, and they had real bagels and bialys too.

for a while when I was in high school we had a restaurant in our own neighborhood run by an Jewish-Israeli man and his wife, with traditional Israeli and Middle Eastern food. My dad and I loved to go there together.

Though not at all kosher, while I was growing up we generally didn't have shellfish/shrimp, clams etc

I sure remember those jewish deli kosher hot dogs that were like nothing else!
I only eat good kosher hotdogs still. We have one good kosher restaurant here too, run by the Lubavitcher rabbi. That's where the community menorah lighting has taken place too, although I think it might be growing and seeking a bigger venue now.

I've not had kosher hot dogs for many years since I eat almost no meat.
A few years ago my hub drove my folks and I to Skokie for a "Jewish comfort food" extravaganza.....went to an awesome deli/grocery where people spoke Russian and Jewish and they had multilingual signs everywhere, and like 25 different kinds of real, fresh halavah from different Eastern European regions. My folks loaded up! Hub and I got some stuff too. It smelled good in there and was so fun to see all the foods I hadn't seen for years, authentic Jewish stuff.

My dad still also eats the kosher hot dogs. He loves them the Chicago way:)

This year I hope to get to a community menorah lighting. Last year I had to work.

It taken me few days get over tripe just getting appetite back had mackerel followed by egg custard not evey bodies idea of a mix but was nice

Macaroni and cheese. The real homemade kind. So done with the Thanksgiving leftovers although I'm still working on the pumpkin pie. :)

Macaroni and cheese. The real homemade kind. So done with the Thanksgiving leftovers although I'm still working on the pumpkin pie. :)
Mmmm I love mac and cheese just about any kind (yes even the Kraft and Velveeta kinds- no comments from the peanut gallery needed lol).

I think we finished off our leftovers last night. Though looks like there's still a little turkey left. No pumpkin pie this year- pumpkin cupcakes lol. Maybe for Christmas...

I'm working on a turkey soup with the leftovers right now, got my aromatics sauteing. I'll put in turkey little bit of stuffing and some gravy along with low sodium broth. That will simmer all day and set overnight in fridge and be ready to eat tomorrow.

I'm working on a turkey soup with the leftovers right now, got my aromatics sauteing. I'll put in turkey little bit of stuffing and some gravy along with low sodium broth. That will simmer all day and set overnight in fridge and be ready to eat tomorrow.

That sounds delicious!

Stuffing in soup?

Yup, there was only a tiny bit leftover, it will thicken the soup just a tad and add more flavor.

Sorry but to me I think of bread in stuffing and that makes me think of a soggy mess if put in soup. Obviously, I don't know your whole process but that is my first reaction.

Sorry but to me I think of bread in stuffing and that makes me think of a soggy mess if put in soup. Obviously, I don't know your whole process but that is my first reaction.

Italian bread soup is made pretty much that way, sits overnight and then recoiled.

Do you really like liver and onions? I was served so much liver as a child....I gag at the mention today! :lol:

Liver was the one thing my mom never made us eat. In fact, the only time she cooked it for human consumption was for my Dad's birthday. It was a tradition for the birthday person to have whatever they wanted and the rest of us would eat something else. I think I always chose steak.

My mom would cook liver at least once a week for the cat.

Back