What's the point?

Sanctum1972

Reaction score
Hello all,

What's the point of CHARGING deaf singles to post and find single deaf people in our nearby areas when this can be done on here? After all, the market is'nt that BIG and we're of the minority.
For instance, deafsingles.com charges us for membership and I think it's ridiculous. Is it really run and operated by deaf people? I don't know. Not to mention, it's wrong and they prey on single people who act out of desperation. Who knows that profiles can be faked just to lure us into buying a membership and going after profiles that may or may not exist.
Believe me, match.com does that and I would NOT advise any of you to join that site.
It's all :bsflag:

-Adam

I joined that website when it was free. Later, they started charging people. I think it's bullshit. It's like taking advantage of people being single and making them pay to find someone that they will probably never get with.

that's why I never bother joing any dating websites cuz it is rip off and plus I don't know if I wud ever find love again but sure.. life is short so pepole are bound to do :crazy: stuff..

Wow, I didn't know they charge you :shock: , I haven't bothered going into those type of dating sites either, but thanks for the head up! ...I'll be sure to pass along this information to others when they are looking for a date....I just hope they don't fall into something that they might end up paying later on.... :shock:

True..

^Angel^ said:
Wow, I didn't know they charge you :shock: , I haven't bothered going into those type of dating sites either, but thanks for the head up! ...I'll be sure to pass along this information to others when they are looking for a date....I just hope they don't fall into something that they might end up paying later on.... :shock:

Believe me, I've learned not to trust those sites anymore. If they charge, they're likely to BS you. I prefer blogger sites or message boards and 'friendster' type sites make more sense.

But to charge for deaf singles? C'mon, that's just ridiculous. If they want to stay in business, just get sponsorship and dump the prices and only use driver's license info as proof of the age. Type in the serial number and the computer will know how old you are. If you're under 18..BYE..F- OFF..underagers not welcome. But if you're 18 (or better yet 21) and over...they can register and use the service.

-Adam

Yeah I agree it is ridiculous...I suppose that explains why there are so many singles out there who is trying to seek a date...It would be more helpful if those dating sites were free to those who wants a date or trying to find the man or the woman of their dreams....

Agreed.

^Angel^ said:
Yeah I agree it is ridiculous...I suppose that explains why there are so many singles out there who is trying to seek a date...It would be more helpful if those dating sites were free to those who wants a date or trying to find the man or the woman of their dreams....

Exactly my point. One reason why I'm disillusioned by those stupid sites and I've learned not to trust them anymore. They're usually full of shit.

-Adam

Ok, if the site you are talking about is free, the BS stops? Hmm, something tells me it would not...and the danger would increase, right, since there would be no way to identify someone who maybe commits a crime, etc? I don't have a need for these places free or not but just wondering.....

well...

Tousi said:
Ok, if the site you are talking about is free, the BS stops? Hmm, something tells me it would not...and the danger would increase, right, since there would be no way to identify someone who maybe commits a crime, etc? I don't have a need for these places free or not but just wondering.....

Increasing the price is not the only solution. There are ways..get professional moderators and set up strict regulations and a system where age can be detected. If someone tries to fake an age or pretend to be someone they're not, they're not welcome to use it. The IP number will be blocked out to which can be done.
Other sites do criminal checks on you if you're single or married. If you're married, you're banned and chances are cops will be at your door to arrest you IF you try it again or your spouse will be told of what you're trying to do.
If you're single, you're allowed to use the service as long as you're not married.

-Adam

Ok, Sanctum, sounds like some good solutions there but that costs money, right?

unless..

Tousi said:
Ok, Sanctum, sounds like some good solutions there but that costs money, right?

Not unless you have a sponsor willing to step in to defray the costs in exchange for advertising.

-Adam

Sanctum, again, you are right; a sponsor would be a good solution and I don't mean to sound negative BUT since we deafies comprise way less than 1% of the population, what sponsor would put up that kind of money for perhaps little or no return on that money?

I understand where you're coming from Tousi, but in my own opinion the danger would increase anywhere whether it may be from those type of sites, in chats, in newspaper, or in real life....It is hard to trust every person that are out there afterall, we don't know really whether this person may not be what we think....Some people do hide their own ID or they're going to lie about themselves etc. just have to followed your instincts or gut feelings before meeting this person in real life....

Just like when you're going on a blind date, you don't know anything about this person, or if anyone knew you were going out with this person and something did happened and no one could ID the person who did it, then who fault is it?

yeahh.

I agree with Angel. I'm hard of hearing and am not sure how hearing women will react with me or like the fact that I have different interests that they do. That's why I avoid those sites nowadays and usually focus on blog sites such as suicidegirls.com, alldeaf.com, etc..things like that. Even though I read lips and can hear most of the time...my right side is profoundly deaf except for the left which is severe in loss.
Besides, being an artist/designer myself...I don't think I have time to put up with the dating website BS because I work mostly in my home studio and try to go to places when I can..such as art galleries or nightclubs to get away from everyone as a form of escapism.

Having alldeaf.com defeats the purpose of a deaf dating website. The means to communicate and get to know who's who is already established on here. The problem is that it's internationally/nationally focused rather than localized. So far, there are at least 3 or 4 of them from Ohio near where I live..but are there more? I have no idea.

Usually the people in the dating sites KNOW mostly what they're looking for but those in this kind of site look to discuss things and have something in common. And usually profiles can be faked in dating sites.

-Adam

Gotta agree with you. It's like whores with pimp. Pimp charges desperate people to date and get f**ked. :-o
F-

Sanctum1972 said:
Not unless you have a sponsor willing to step in to defray the costs in exchange for advertising.

-Adam

I'd be willing to help with something like this as long as its here at AD...eitehr with software or as a sponsor. I hate dating sites as much as the next person. One thing I do like about AD is I learn a little about personalities while reading their posts.

Perhaps Alex would consider setting up a singles area for AD Members only?

Taylor, I see your point. It's a good one. :)

Sanctum. I know what it's like to go into those sites and be disillusioned. Mind you, I have met few nice people who ended up friends. But hey, that's how it work online. Same applies to dating services in real life. *Shrugs*

Back