What would happen if all hearing people know how to signs?

gxa2017

Reaction score
What would happen if all hearing people know how to signs? Will deaf people lose control of their language and literature? Will deaf culture change?

just curious.....

What would happen if all hearing people know how to signs? Will deaf people lose control of their language and literature? Will deaf culture change?

just curious.....

Then hearing people should allow deaf person to become the first DEAF US President.

Then hearing people should allow deaf person to become the first DEAF US President.

And it won't be a deaf immigrant.....

Sorry authentic! :)

If hearing people knew sign language, then I won't be able to sign in public as I like talking about hearing people.......:lol:

I think that everyone should learn ASL. It's a beatiful language. The Deaf community has to be proud of their wonderful manual language.

I think something will become more clear. Ya know some hearing people sometimes can't hear mumbles or heavy accent on TV or in classroom. Maybe less misunderstanding, depending on the situation?

If hearing people know only sign language and not using voice, then it will be the blind people instead of deaf people who will get to be left out.

Damn. That would be very nice. But again we re dreaming right? lol.

Btw, I m not sure but someone told me that Sweden or Norway, it is mandate for all people who work for public service to know sign language. Any truth to this?

The playing field would be level and fair with language development in the first few years (of a child's life).

Unfortunately, when you have more than two hearing person in a room, you'll still be left out.

there would be no longer be a need for interpreters, and nor any organisations bent on living of the disabled nature of deaf people we have today. The "industry" of care and help which serves to imprisonate deaf people would cease. And of course they DO NOT want this to happen, which is why they keep spinning information just to delay and confuse against the real social progression.

Obviously, we would also see far far more numbers of far more educated, enlightened deaf people also. The inter marriages between deaf and hearing members of society would be great, more choice of partners, with more compatiability of interests and opinions would be apparent. Literacy that deaf people have no would be the thing of the past. Maybe more sueing perhaps due to hearing people would believe there is a case, due to the understanding of occurances whilst dicussing with deaf people would be on the similar operating panel, in a word, if a deaf says so, there its true, elements of doubt would also be a thing of the past.

In short, it would be GREAT !!!!

If hearing people did know sign language, I would be the happiest woman on earth. :)

If hearing people knew sign language, then I won't be able to sign in public as I like talking about hearing people.......:lol:

Hahaha!
As a hearing person who knows sign, I also find it fun signing with deaf friends or other hearing friends who know sign, about hearing people who don't know it. =) It's pretty entertaining.

Just to answer the questions posed:

Yes, but the question is flawed, because no group can totally control its language and literature. If that were possible, then all of the morons daily murdering the English language and thinking graphic comics are true literature would be banished to Antarctica.

Yes, deaf culture will change, even if no change is forced and the culture is only observed from outside. It's a fact of research that just studying something will affect change in what's being observed.

What would happen? We would all be living in Martha's Vineyard.

If hearing people did know sign language, I would be the happiest woman on earth. :)

That goes for me, too. It would be a bliss, but remember hearing people will have a habit of putting down their ASL to speak to an hearing person even the Deaf is standing there with them. That would be rude. But in the long run, it would be wonderful to have hearing people sign to us to be able communicate half way. I am hoping for the future to change, but it is not likely going to happen overnight. It will take a long time to get there, just like women have been fighting for their rights to be equal and can do anything better than men. That takes guts. :fingersx:

Do you know that I have taught some of my family members certain signs. Because of that we do not have to speak (on an given occasion) the words we need to say- we sign them. For example, I would sign the word for cat and/or keys when I can't find neither, as well as phone and other simple sign words.

It's fun and helpful at times.

Back