What vehicles did you used to learn shift stick driving in?

Toyota Corolla 1986

Hmmm, remember you doubted that my car will NOT last past 130k miles due to crankshaft throwing a rod thru the crankcase....you failed. My car currently has 154k miles now and still running great.

Please do not make fun or I will diss you back. :)

One more thing....good luck driving a stick shift car on steep hills and in stop and go traffic. I've been there and done that for more than 10 years. *whacks with a soap in a glove*

Oh that's nothing! That is what I went though to learn shift. Don't forget Pittsburgh, PA is almost like San Francisco.

Very tricky for those who grew up flats

One more thing....good luck driving a stick shift car on steep hills and in stop and go traffic. I've been there and done that for more than 10 years. *whacks with a soap in a glove*

more than 95% of new cars coming out of the mill is Automatics

After trying to learn stick shift after hours and hours of trying. I just gave up on it. This was some 20 years ago. hehe Even my grandfather got annoyed when I couldn't do it. I was more frustrated back in my younger years.

Now I wouldn't mind attempting to learn how to drive manual. But I don't know anyone who has a manual vehicle.

Oh that's nothing! That is what I went though to learn shift. Don't forget Pittsburgh, PA is almost like San Francisco.

Very tricky for those who grew up flats

Agreed. I grew up driving stick shift cars on steep hills and lots of stop n go traffic on hilly streets. Seattle have really hilly streets similar to San Francisco. I did that in San Francisco, too.

Hmmm, remember you doubted that my car will NOT last past 130k miles due to crankshaft throwing a rod thru the crankcase....you failed. My car currently has 154k miles now and still running great.

Please do not make fun or I will diss you back. :)

I never said that. You get wrong person. I do like Honda and it's pretty good even I plan buy Honda motorcycle. What's made you think I said that?

I never said that. You get wrong person. I do like Honda and it's pretty good even I plan buy Honda motorcycle. What's made you think I said that?

That was a long time ago. :) That memory is fuzzy like a cartoon hairball on legs.

I think you talk about Toyota truck that it have issue with crankshaft or something since Toyota truck have a lot recall.

I think we did talk about some 1996-2000 Honda Civic were prone to engine failures. Probably from not changing oil often or too much power on a stock engine, I don't know what's their story anyway. I'm glad it didn't happen to my car.

I had a VW bus when I lived in Northern California and I was learning how to drive it on the mountain . A friend was helping me and the roads on the mountain had a lot sharp turns plus there was only enough room on the road for one car at time so you had to honk your horn to encase another car was coming the opposite direction. They would not be able to see my car and there was no room to pull over, you would end up going over the mountain! My friend was very brave or very crazy to teach me know to drive shift stick on the mountain side. I almost got it down how to drive my car.
I got the VW bus really cheap for $200 in the 70's and it only needed a little work done on it.

Learned manual in my friend's old '85 Ford laser, once or twice in my father's old 1999 Subaru Impreza and then became skilled into the shift stick in 1998 Ford Festiva which was my first manual car, but now as of today, driving manual still in 2011 Honda 4WD :mrgreen:

The secret is using emergency brake ;) Pressed just enough to let it move very slowly, when green comes back, let go of clutch and press gas at same time release e brake.

Agreed. I grew up driving stick shift cars on steep hills and lots of stop n go traffic on hilly streets. Seattle have really hilly streets similar to San Francisco. I did that in San Francisco, too.

A friend's VW Jetta

Parent had the '76 Volvo wagon but sold it before I could get a license.

I still prefer a manual honestly. I have a Scion tC and I LOVE the fact that it's manual. More control over the car in general! Which is always handy the way the rain here in Tampa Bay has been the past few weeks... -_-

Back