What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Here from the description is the reason it should be in the products for deaf.

They mean those two tiny lights? Well, I'm sure to see those if they start bliniking - especially if I'm sleeping. Now, if it had a strobe light...

That's probably why Amazon's search engine picks it up...but, as far as I'm concerned, it is not for the deaf.

They mean those two tiny lights? Well, I'm sure to see those if they start bliniking - especially if I'm sleeping. Now, if it had a strobe light...

That's probably why Amazon's search engine picks it up...but, as far as I'm concerned, it is not for the deaf.

I agree, but it is cheaper and may do good for some people.

On my break at work. Try this one on for size: You are eithet completely deaf or completely hearing. 0% or 100%. Fluctuations based on background noises don't exist. Like an on/off switch. One or the other.

I love customers...

On my break at work. Try this one on for size: You are eithet completely deaf or completely hearing. 0% or 100%. Fluctuations based on background noises don't exist. Like an on/off switch. One or the other.

I love customers...

Seriously? A coustomer told you this?! :shock:

Yesterday, my husband and I were arguing because I wanted him to go to a dinner party with me at a friend's house, and he didn't want to go. We argued about it, then I finally gave up and left by myself. 15 min after I drive away, he texts me and says, "I dont know why you left without me. I said I'd go like 5 times." :mad: NO he didn't! But because I am hoh, he thinks he can make up that he said something when he didn't, and that I can't argue back about it. And kind of, I can't really argue back because I can't say, "I hear perfectly fine." But I know he is lying because I was looking at him the whole time we were arguing, and I would have seen him say it (I read lips and I have risidual hearing). Now he thinks I can't be mad at him because he just going to lie and say that he said something he didn't, and blame my hearing to make it my fault. Ugh! Any of you have something like this happen?

So not cool.

Why are you teaching your baby ASL? He is not deaf.

--Pflugerville Independent School District.

Told to me and my wife at our TSD ard meeting. The entire room gasped but they held a straight face through it all.

Saying joke stuff.

There was a particular guy at bar that I went to. He would often come up to me and tell me jokes about deaf people.

Like "Hey, you know, I heard that deaf people have tiny dicks...."

Seriously? A coustomer told you this?! :shock:

Customers are so unbelievably rude sometimes. Most of them are awesome or at least normal. The crazy ones really take that ball and run with it. Only 6 more weekends after this one at this job then I'm outta there. I can't freaking wait. I'll never do retail again.

Ever had this problem with audologists?

I went to the audiologist this week to get my hearing checked to find out how bad my hearing had gotten. I haven't had a test in two years or more. At the end of the test she looks at me and says "before you consider having children, you might want to reconsider wanting to have children because they have a chance of being Deaf as well", I looked at her and told her we are pregnant now. She then says "you might want to see some counselor on genetics to find out what we may be up against". I don't want to see that dr. again.

It's just one of my big ticks to not come up and tap me. If you want to get my attention get in front me. I nearly got run over by a biker yesterday because I didn't hear him coming at all. The Next thing I see is the bike wheel going past me. Don't tap me on the shoulder(it's also partly because it's an uncomfortable feeling for me) If I can't see you, walk beside me and then in front of me to get my attention. Saturday my BFF from Grade School did exactly that she tapped me on the shoulder(she works with her mom at the grocery store now) taps me on the shoulder and makes me jump and i'm having to look for the source of where the person is. So I got her attention and sign and spoke and told her that now consider myself HOH and she's like how long have you been like this and I'm like 16 and pointed to HA's then she asked don't they hurt and i'm like at first they do but of course you get use to them.

I'm pretty crotchety, so do a good bit of snapping as well when things escalate. Things sometimes end in the dreaded "NEVER MIND!" from either side.

I'm not quite to the point where I'm HoH (right now, it's just annoying and I can't hear much in areas with any background noise), but I don't ask anybody to repeat themselves more than once.

My sister's infamous for mumbling and "neverminds." I hate it.

I went to the audiologist this week to get my hearing checked to find out how bad my hearing had gotten. I haven't had a test in two years or more. At the end of the test she looks at me and says "before you consider having children, you might want to reconsider wanting to have children because they have a chance of being Deaf as well", I looked at her and told her we are pregnant now. She then says "you might want to see some counselor on genetics to find out what we may be up against". I don't want to see that dr. again.

Exactly.. while we want to be realistic about the chances, we also realize that it's not a death sentence. In fact, if there's any positive aspect about it at all, it's that if you are in a country with good social support, you might actually end up with a pretty good living (better than a lot of people who can hear.)

However, in a country with no social support, that actually does merit some thinking and careful consideration, at least more than it would if you were in a country with good social support.

I wanted to get crazy bread at Little Caesars the other day. I did not want sauce with it. They wanted $3.52 with tax for it. I walked out. I'm not stupid!! I know that crazy bread doesn't cost that much!! Some people thinks it is funny to take advantage of retarded people!! I just walked out.

I hate when hearing people talk to me in a controlling way. Like since I'm HOH that means they're in charge and I have to do what they say. Problem is; I have an IQ of 140 and lots of technical education and the hearing person in front of me has only a high school education; no public vocational school or private technical college or college degree (I have all of those plus three college degrees), and I know that the hearing person doesn't know what they're talking about and so I say no I'm going to do it this way and now they want to argue about it which I won't do because I'm not going to waste my time arguing with an idiot and I tell him to eff off.

I hate when hearing people talk to me in a controlling way. Like since I'm HOH that means they're in charge and I have to do what they say. Problem is; I have an IQ of 140 and lots of technical education and the hearing person in front of me has only a high school education; no public vocational school or private technical college or college degree (I have all of those plus three college degrees), and I know that the hearing person doesn't know what they're talking about and so I say no I'm going to do it this way and now they want to argue about it which I won't do because I'm not going to waste my time arguing with an idiot and I tell him to eff off.

Oh yeah!...Happens all the time....Many times I've just laughed at them...then seriously saying..."YOU don't know what you're talking about"....and if their insults realllly bothered me...I would say..."do you have ur HS diploma?"...and "come on over sometime...I'll show you my many degrees I've got hanging on my wall.".....and "you need to go back to school...so just keep ur mouth shut until you do.....it sounds as if you're pretty stupid."....

It really gets these types of people to thinking...and they just sort of "slink off"....embarrassed to death....but does it really change their minds about Deafies?...Nah!...

Oh yeah!...Happens all the time....Many times I've just laughed at them...then seriously saying..."YOU don't know what you're talking about"....and if their insults realllly bothered me...I would say..."do you have ur HS diploma?"...and "come on over sometime...I'll show you my many degrees I've got hanging on my wall.".....and "you need to go back to school...so just keep ur mouth shut until you do.....it sounds as if you're pretty stupid."....

It really gets these types of people to thinking...and they just sort of "slink off"....embarrassed to death....but does it really change their minds about Deafies?...Nah!...

yup i get it all the time too
and you know what?
thats gonna be the very thing covered in one of my chapter, entirely on that

and yup , nuope they not gonna change their mind about deafies, hearies dont like being less, its similar to how men dont like women beating men at something, like racing cars, or sports...

its exactly the same!!

Well, guys, deafies don't like being undermined for being a deafie so why bash on hearies? How about we all just try to understand and live with one another?

Well, guys, deafies don't like being undermined for being a deafie so why bash on hearies? How about we all just try to understand and live with one another?

Do you want frustration when you can not make head and tail of what the hearies were talking about?

That is why we need to teach them about us being D/Deafies so the hearies can understand our d/Deaf perspectives and why we need ASL very badly. Without ASL, we are absolutely lost and that we don't get our rights to use the accommodations for us. Our life would be comfortable and easier to understand with ASL. ASL rocks!!!! :cool2:

Hmm.....

When we're in a really quiet setting and they try whispering to me. I tell them that wont work and they do it anyways.

When they are walking in front of me and trying to talk to me. I can't see their lips. For the same reason, I hate when teachers are lecturing and they start walking around the classroom and turn their backs to me.

When they just say "nevermind" if I ask them to repeat something.

Back