What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I met about 3 hearing people did BSL signs incorrectly and I autocorrect them without thinking and they became defensive went like I been taught that way!! I like whoa calm down (didn't say that, just inside my head) but with face expression.

Most of them are fine, just those 3 and it happened in 2 weeks. I haven't had such bad reaction for long time!

One of them even said I used wrong signs only because that person did sign wrong. I was bit surprised by that comment even though my sign is perfectly right one.

Making me wonder if I should keep my mouth/hand shut??

When people take advantage of my deafness. Once my brother's teacher told me to report something to my mother, and when I told mom, my brother was like "she probably didn't hear properly, so dont believe everything that she said" and mom believe him too. I really dislike whenever my brother uses that of excuses. Not only this, he does that whenever he want to be excuse. That really pisses me off.

Arrogance and hearing people have vast more job choices , my two biggest piss-offs!

Offering the same opportunities as everybody else, jobs, positions, clergy, promotions, contracts, 10 years ago it was sorry but u need to be able to answer phones. Now with all this tech advancements. What's the excuse? Oh I forgot there's also alot of idiots in charge.now that ticks me off

How about the poeple who assume you are listening in on a conversation that you are not a part of, then ask you a question that you didn't catch, then when asking them to repeat, they say, well sorry, you should have paid attention. Just had that happen a little while ago. This neighbor knows of my hearing loss. MIL has told her over and over. We had to stop on the road when coming home since she wanted to talk to MIL. I put on the emergency flashers and put the car in park and pulled out a book. They are chatting then all of a sudden, MIL taps me on the arm and asks me if I heard the neighbor. I said no, I am deaf, get my attention before asking. Then the neighbor says, it's not important enough, I know you can hear me. Then they move on in conversation.

Today I'm just feeling really angry about hearing people not being sensitive to my loss. I think it's so unfair that they have the full use of their ears which they haven't had to work for, yet they can treat me with disrespect because my ears don't work. It's not as if I self-inflicted my hearing loss. And it's not as if they've worked hard at being hearing. I'm not as bothered about not having my hearing as I am about the unseen arrogance of people treating me badly when their own hearing was a gift. If the dice had rolled the other way, I hope that I would be more grateful for my hearing and more respectful of deaf people.

Then as I write this, I'm aware that people dying of starvation or living in countries with war going on must be envious of me living in peaceful country and it's not as if I've earned my place here through hard work. All that happened was that I was born here. I have to remember to count my blessings. I just wish hearies would be as grateful for their hearing.

Rant over! :pissed:

When I worked at PJP my horrible step-cousin by marriage also worked there. She was trying to get my attention by yelling across the breakroom like an idiot then she started throwing trash at me. She stared at me and said, "Are you deaf and dumb or something?"

I looked at her and said, "No, not dumb. However; my deafness is from birth but it seems that your bitchiness is acquired!"

The lady sitting next to her at the table nearly died laughing at my response. My step-cousin looked at me with this snarled up look like she was mad that she couldn't come up with a witty come back to that.

I hate it when hearing people, especially family, refuses to understand and will even make it out to be your fault that you are D/HH, when it was from birth or from illness/injury.

Needless to say, I don't much care for this family member and I don't hang out with her at all.

When I worked at PJP my horrible step-cousin by marriage also worked there. She was trying to get my attention by yelling across the breakroom like an idiot then she started throwing trash at me. She stared at me and said, "Are you deaf and dumb or something?"

I looked at her and said, "No, not dumb. However; my deafness is from birth but it seems that your bitchiness is acquired!"

The lady sitting next to her at the table nearly died laughing at my response. My step-cousin looked at me with this snarled up look like she was mad that she couldn't come up with a witty come back to that.

I hate it when hearing people, especially family, refuses to understand and will even make it out to be your fault that you are D/HH, when it was from birth or from illness/injury.

Needless to say, I don't much care for this family member and I don't hang out with her at all.
I wouldn't either.

got a lecturer who gets shitty and says i should have a cochlear implant because i cant hear her properly urgh

Last edited:
I hate hearies always say "just get CI already". Even if I can get one (but I cannot) I won't want CI!

I hate hearies always say "just get CI already". Even if I can get one (but I cannot) I won't want CI!

Completely change your life and your body so I don't have to exert any effort. I get that a lot with people who've heard about "voice therapies" from a 2-minute segment on the evening news.

I don't believe I qualify for one but, good gawd, I don't want to walk around the rest of my life with some electrical device attached to my skull!:shock:

I don't believe I qualify for one but, good gawd, I don't want to walk around the rest of my life with some electrical device attached to my skull!:shock:

I never wanted a CI either, but I freely admit that it has been a huge benefit to me. I never encourage others to get a CI, I only share my experience and let others decide for themselves.

The latest was last night - a hearing bloke made a comment about how unnecessary to have a signing actor performed in a music video cos we "deaf people" don't listen to music. I, for one, do listen and enjoy music. So does half of my friends I know so it's necessary.

Video of the week: Ed Sheeran - if you want to see. It was very cool and refreshing to see.

I never wanted a CI either, but I freely admit that it has been a huge benefit to me. I never encourage others to get a CI, I only share my experience and let others decide for themselves.

Same here.

The latest was last night - a hearing bloke made a comment about how unnecessary to have a signing actor performed in a music video cos we "deaf people" don't listen to music. I, for one, do listen and enjoy music. So does half of my friends I know so it's necessary.

Video of the week: Ed Sheeran - if you want to see. It was very cool and refreshing to see.

Whenever some idiot around me made an ignorant comment about the deaf and music, I'd just remind him that Beethoven composed some of the world's most beautiful and renowned music (including my very favorite choral work) while going and then after he'd gone completely deaf. Not to mention there were and are deaf musicians and composers (Smetana went deaf later in life, so did Faure, etc).

Then I'd ask what the futz has he ever done that will stand the test of time like that and gave him my "death" look. Usually shut him up. When I switch from my normal easy-going mode to "adamant" mode, it scares people. :D

Back