What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

These emotions toward hearies are definitely deeply rooted. Wow! :eek3:

If u got a heavy deaf accent, youre better off not speaking at all.

Youll automatically seen as retarded or intoxicated.

A hearing superior whom I work for is so clueless how to talk to me that oftentimes she looks just like a horse wildly trying to use her lips to grab a carrot dangling in the air, seriously. I'm, like, what is wrong with you?! If you could see a video of it I'm sure you'd laugh 'til you cried.

Some hearies asked me if my children were "mine." I told them that we make children just like you do. They asked me "but your children are hearing. How come they're not deaf since they were born from you?" I explained to them that about 90% of deaf parents have hearing children. Not all deaf people carry deaf genes. The hearing people were just curious, that's all:)

If u got a heavy deaf accent, youre better off not speaking at all.

Youll automatically seen as retarded or intoxicated.

Lucky, I ain't one of these. I have a normal speaking voice (Australian Accent) also with a deaf tone to go with, but in the overall, my friends and others can eventually understand my speech clearly.

Speaking of babies...two of my deaf friends had their babies around 7 to 10 years ago. They have deaf husbands...they told me that the hospital called social workers to talk to them after they had their babies. They were :confused: and eventually they found out why. The hospital was scared to release their babies under their care thinking that they wouldnt know how to take care of their babies due to their deafness. One of my friends said she was so terrified that the social worker would misunderstand her and declare them unfit parents and not let them bring their baby home. My other friend said she hit the ceiling and threatened a lawsuit.

Can u believe that? These mothers just had their babies and they are tired, emotional, and excited by the special moment only to get it ruined! They cant cherish their children's births without thinking about the social workers. I was shocked.

When I had my boys, 31 and 28 years ago the nurses in the hospital spent quite a bit of time peering round the door at the "deaf" mother tho nothing was said out loud. At the time my husband was a travelling salesman who was away from home every second week. This left me having to work out how to hear a new born baby wake up for night feeds....answer....put him in my bed and leave h/a on (old box one in those days) with the box near baby, and hope like hell he made enough noise.

Since then I have had people gasp in amazement that I am married and have kids.........yeah like I pulled them out of my ear!!!!

Also have come across several people who think lipreading involves them getting so close to me they are just about rubbing noses, with me leaning over backwards trying to focus........lol

All the other gripes on here ring bells too, like the "oh never mind" "sorry your deaf" and "your a snob" when I havent even heard them speak.

What ticks me off most?

The hearing person (who is fluent in signing)- talking to someone else in my presence without signing. For example, if this person was talking (in ASL) to me...then another person comes up - he will stop signing and start voicing (without signing) to that person.

How rude.

Trust me...that person usually won't do it but one time ;).

Happens to hearing people too. :) Before my hearing started to fail I visited some friends in Norway and they would talk to each other around me in Norwegian! Both were perfectly fluent in English too!! I understood a few words (I study Norwegian) and they were just talking about the weather. Nothing super scret! :squint:

A hearing superior whom I work for is so clueless how to talk to me that oftentimes she looks just like a horse wildly trying to use her lips to grab a carrot dangling in the air, seriously. I'm, like, what is wrong with you?! If you could see a video of it I'm sure you'd laugh 'til you cried.

:giggle: I hope you don't end up calling her Mr. Ed by mistake!

Last edited:
Pro-oralists are what tick me off the most because the education is priceless to me. I mean why make us speak when we have only 4 senses. They don't even try to sign when they have all 5 senses. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Jobwise - I notice that the job placement often attempt to put me in computer operating which is more menial than the one I want (programming). I have a brain but they don't look further in beyond my ears.

Ooh that's nasty.

That happened almost daily when I was growing up in an all oral-environment both in the educational setting and outside of it. Everytime someone said that, my stomach would just tighten up and I would feel so heavy-hearted afterwards. I guess that was my heart breaking little by little.

WOW, what a great forum/thread. It is a real eye opener, from the deaf culture side as well as the hearing side. I'm hearing, but have been trying to get together with people/students learning ASL and deaf people. I even started a MeetUp group for ASL/deaf but after 6 months, that is going to fold. Over 150 people signed up to be notified when a group started, I got 18 members, and after 3 meetings, only 1 member showed up. Fortunately, I was able to meet the co-host of the DeafChat at a local Starbucks, his name is Armando and he is deaf. So finally, I will have a group of people to gather with and learn more about the deaf culture and practicing and learning more ASL.

I guess what I really wanted to say is that speaking from the hearing side I think there are so many misunderstandings and lack of communication on both sides. But, from having read all the posts in this thread, I do believe I'll be able to interact much better the next time I'm in a situation or meeting with someone who is deaf or hard of hearing.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll be back because I want to learn more!

Yizuman's post on hearing people usually saying "Nevermind" and Shel90's post on how a hearing person would drop ASL when a third person interrupt the converstation are very common occurances. Those two has happened to me often.

What pisses me off the most though is they're always telling me to talk. I don't know about other deaf people, but telling me to talk is equivalent to telling me not to sign.

Last edited:
Back