What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Chase, that is pretty shitty they would mess with someone's livelyhood like that.

If they want to mandate passing a hearing test, they should at least have some kind of grandfather clause for those already driving. changing the rules in the middle of the game is not cool.

I can see why there would be concerns with a deaf driver. If someone got backed over you wouldnt be able to hear their cries. Then again there are mirrors to check so you could make sure no one gets backed over.

Its probably an insurance thing where they dont wanna mess with potential lawsuits.

What ticks me off most?

The hearing person (who is fluent in signing)- talking to someone else in my presence without signing. For example, if this person was talking (in ASL) to me...then another person comes up - he will stop signing and start voicing (without signing) to that person.

How rude.

Trust me...that person usually won't do it but one time ;).

What ticks me off most?

The hearing person (who is fluent in signing)- talking to someone else in my presence without signing. For example, if this person was talking (in ASL) to me...then another person comes up - he will stop signing and start voicing (without signing) to that person.
How rude.

Audism!!! Let's get united and crush Audism!!!

The hearing person (who is fluent in signing)- talking to someone else in my presence without signing. For example, if this person was talking (in ASL) to me...then another person comes up - he will stop signing and start voicing (without signing) to that person. ;).

Ok, I am hearing and this makes me mad too! Some of the girls in my Deaf Culture class would talk (voice) when the teacher was in the room... I thought it was so rude. These girls are all pre-interpreter... they have good ASL skills (for the most part)

For us hearies- at least for me- this thread is vital. We can't read your minds so posting such complaints helps us to adjust our behavior when before a deaf individual(s).

I have to say.I think 8 out of 10 hearies are assholes,but it just could where I live.:mad:

Ouch! Sound like you do or did have alot of problem with hearies. Care to explain what has happened? Because some hearies here would like to know and understanding. That's what this thread is all about.

I have to say.I think 8 out of 10 hearies are assholes,but it just could where I live.:mad:

Ouch! Sound like you do or did have alot of problem with hearies. Care to explain what has happened? Because some hearies here would like to know and understanding. That's what this thread is all about.

Yep!

For us hearies- at least for me- this thread is vital. We can't read your minds so posting such complaints helps us to adjust our behavior when before a deaf individual(s).

The mind-reading analogy is a good one. In making new one-to-one friends in this community, I have to keep reminding each one that I'm a so-so speech-reader, but a terrible mind-reader. I tell them, "If it's important, unless I SEE you say it and CONFIRM it, assume I didn't get it."

pepsiwoman: I am eager to learn all your grievances. Please post them ASAP so I can better learn what turns you off about hearies. Thanks!

God I can write a book on this. Well it is from getting made fun of and hearies not understanding the way I talk.To reading lips because for some reason people hate it when I do that(not all people).And have people tell me that someone (a hearie) can teach my children better speech than I can.It goes on and on. It has more to do with the fact that I would like to be judge on who I am and not my hearing.

what I dont like is the fact tha society keeps putting a glass barrier between us and the sky simply because we cant hear.

I cant tell you how many times Ive been told you can do anything you want - just dont bother trying for this or this or that because you can't hear.

Like when I was in junior high, I wanted to go out for for the basketball team. My parents refused to let me try becuase I couldnt hear. They didnt want me in band because I couldnt hear, they simply didnt want me to doing anything because I couldnt hear. eventually I just quit trying.

It also hurt that I was constantly being compared to my brother who is hearing. Always getting the "Why cant you be more like your brother?".

Its like I couldnt be who I wanted to be and there are times I still cant be who I want to. Im often misunderstood, or not taken as seriously.

This glass barrier seems easy enough to break through, but its like society just wants us to look at the sky and only dream of reaching it, only to realize we cant and never will.

And what's sad is, there are times its taken someone other than family to help me realize that hey I am worth something - you do have the potential. Its these people you need to cling to because these are the people that are going to be there to support you rather than drag you down.

I am so very sorry that you all have had to endure such unjust abuse. Please take note that not all hearing persons feel the same about Deaf individuals as do those stupid ones that have it all wrong. I for one am proud that I do not share that mentally...it's just wrong and nobody should ever be treated in the manner Deaf folks do by (sadly) most hearies.

It all shames me as a hearie. It's so very unjust.

I'm more afraid of the hearing drivers that are driving, talking on a cell phone, grooming themselves in the rear view mirror, and eating a cheese burger all at the same time! Those are the idiots causing all the accidents, and I see them on the road every day.

Exactly, i'm more scared of the hearies driving then the deaf. You never see a deafie do that stuff.

What ticks me off most?

How rude.

We don't talk in Asl we sign in Asl, big difference!!!!!! That talking in Asl stuff is hearie logic and it comes from them.

My biggest pet peeve....

I miss what someone says and asked for a repeat...

"NEVER MIND!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

what I dont like is the fact tha society keeps putting a glass barrier between us and the sky simply because we cant hear.

I cant tell you how many times Ive been told you can do anything you want - just dont bother trying for this or this or that because you can't hear.

Like when I was in junior high, I wanted to go out for for the basketball team. My parents refused to let me try becuase I couldnt hear. They didnt want me in band because I couldnt hear, they simply didnt want me to doing anything because I couldnt hear. eventually I just quit trying.

It also hurt that I was constantly being compared to my brother who is hearing. Always getting the "Why cant you be more like your brother?".

Its like I couldnt be who I wanted to be and there are times I still cant be who I want to. Im often misunderstood, or not taken as seriously.

This glass barrier seems easy enough to break through, but its like society just wants us to look at the sky and only dream of reaching it, only to realize we cant and never will.

And what's sad is, there are times its taken someone other than family to help me realize that hey I am worth something - you do have the potential. Its these people you need to cling to because these are the people that are going to be there to support you rather than drag you down.

That is exactly how I felt like that when I was growing up with my hearing family especially my hearing sister who I love very much but felt jealous of all the accomplishment which I could not do the things like her. I had dreams of what I want to be and was told often that I could not do the jobs or performances which I could have accomplish. I just want to try and have the chance to do something new adventure of making myself succeed as a Deaf individual. I remember the phrase " You can be anything you want to be" which is very important. That is why I get pissed off at hearies not understanding my feeling of being successful. No wonder we give up so easily because the hearies say no, because we are deaf. Grrrrrrr!!! :mad2:

Back