• Atheist or Agnostic

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Momoftwo said:
Like jewish doesn't believe about jesus rise and he died for us so they used a group as "jewish" - jewish means to let people know that they don't believe in Jesus who died for us and rise for us. It is just a term to let other people know what they believe in.

I am Jewish, and I just have to correct Momoftwo here, being Jewish has nothing to do with Jesus. It's NOT a name we made up to say we're not Christian. We were Jewish long before there were any Christians at all. Jesus was Jewish - how can the word Jewish mean '...don't beleive in Jesus' when Jesus himself was Jewish? That makes no sense, sorry! The Jewish faith is completely seperate, and has nothing to do with believing in or denying Jesus, he doesn't feature in any of our very beautiful religious expressions, that date back to long before his time. Our faith isn't based on denying another people's faith - that is insulting to us, it is based on our relationship with G-d. :)

HoneyShot said:
I am Jewish, and I just have to correct Momoftwo here, being Jewish has nothing to do with Jesus. It's NOT a name we made up to say we're not Christian. We were Jewish long before there were any Christians at all. Jesus was Jewish - how can the word Jewish mean '...don't beleive in Jesus' when Jesus himself was Jewish? That makes no sense, sorry! The Jewish faith is completely seperate, and has nothing to do with believing in or denying Jesus, he doesn't feature in any of our very beautiful religious expressions, that date back to long before his time. Our faith isn't based on denying another people's faith - that is insulting to us, it is based on our relationship with G-d. :)

Touche!!!!

MOMOFTWO, If you do not belive in Jew's OT, you should not believe in Jesus....

No vote for Baptist, i am Baptism and neutral about religious. Let GOD take care of you. :)

These poll options are not cool. Grouping "Atheist or Agnostic" together is like grouping "Christian or Jewish" together.

I prefer to not go with labels, but the closest I can say is Buddhism for now. I just like to take the best out of every religion and tailor them into my unique non-labelled ideology. It gives me room to consider all things and change whenever I need to.

I'm converting to Judaism, but I was baptised as a Methodist. I abandoned my belief in Yeshua being Son of the Lord and Melich HaMoschiach late last year.

[Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes in Hebrew]

I put "Other" because it best describes my religion. Here's what I believe:

Absolute Reality - There is only one God, who created the universe. God is not entirely a conscious being, as God comprises all things and is effectively the soul of the universe itself rather than being personified as a man on a cloud. Jesus was a man, an intelligent man who started a religion, but only a man. There are angels and demons. I believe there is a Satan, and unlike God Satan is a conscious entity. I believe at various times for various reasons angels take human form temporarily.

Purpose for Being - Humans exist in order to free themselves from their desires, fears and fundamentally give up sin. There is no other reason humans exist.

Life After Death - Humans are reincarnated until they are able to do the above. Humans are never reincarnated as anything other than human. The cycle of reincarnation is infinite and will progress until all of life's lessons are learned, at which point the person's reincarnation cycle stops and they Ascend to Heaven.

Origin of the Universe - The universe was created by rapid expansion of a singularity comprised of all of the matter that now makes up what we call the universe approximately 10 billion years ago. The earth came into being about six billion years later.

Holy Texts - There is no holy texts for my religion, but study of multiple other religious texts, including the Bible, Vedas, Upanishads, Buddhist and Hindu sutras, Tao Te Ching, I Ching, the Qur'an, and others is encouraged to gain a better understanding of the world and of the nature of God. I admit I haven't read all of the above, however. Believing that one source is rarely enough to write a good paper and religion is the same way essentially describes my take on holy books.

Religious Practices - Frequent meditation is important. This includes both conventional meditation (in the Buddhist sense) and the intentional induction of out-of-body experiences. Meditation, both forms, are the only valid forms of prayer. Any tools which aim to assist in the process are acceptable, such as ritual bathing or incense.

Well, that's pretty much it.

No Hindu? No Muslim? Are you against both of them since Polls sound like a majority Christian?

I am a mutt of Catholic and Protestant. My wife is also Hindu. We have some friends who are Muslims....

What is matter with you?

pek1 said:
I gotta say, even though I am a Christian...do NOT assume that I am "right wing." Far from it, really. And, quite frankly, don't ask me my opinion on abortion or gay marriage. James Dobson and Pat Robertson, including Jerry Falwell DO NOT EVER speak for me or represent my views, neither do the likes of Jack Hyles.

This is how I feel, also! Although, I don't mind stating an opinion on issues when asked to.

When I was little, I went to an Independant Baptist Church that was non-denominational. As a kid, I went along with what I was tought. You could say I was spoon fed alot of things. As I grew older, I began to question all of it I became very confused by it all until I finally broke away from it, and stopped attending church all together, when I was in my early 20s.

I still consider myself a Christian, but I am NOT conservative. I DO NOT agree with the churches stance on a lot of issues, and I never will.

Religion doesnt save you. .

I voted for my religion as "other" as its better to say that I'm a Bible-believer and a follower of God. .

Nobody needs to label me by my religion. .
You wont find religion labels in the Bible. . Its just basically split in 2. . You're either a Jewish or a Gentile. .

Or maybe I'll call myself a Bible-believing Gentile. .

I dont need to be hidden by my title. . . I got Christ in me. .

Christian is an ok title. . Maybe the better version could be I am a "Christ-in-me" :)

From my perspective, religion is more of a group of people that believe in same thing. . Kind of like that they believe in the same "rumor"/set of rules/set of laws, etc. .

Some would just make the Bible a 'I agree with that verse - or - that's not for me I disagree with it but I will agree with it if it says/means this way' type of thing. .

Christians are divided into three major groups, and in each of those groups numerous subgroups exist.

The groups are:
Eastern Orthodox
Catholic
Protestant (which includes Mormon/LDS AND Non-denominational Christian churches.)

Eastern Orthodox split from Western Rite (Now Roman Catholic) in about 1054 AD. The Catholic Church split again in 1517 AD which formed "Protestantism".

I am not sure why there is such a need to exclude LDS from the major sub-group of Protestants - it is most certainly from these roots that the Mormons formed, like many other subsects that formed around the same time in history.

For a better diagram of Christian Subsects:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deno.htm

Oceanbreeze said:
When I was little, I went to an Independant Baptist Church that was non-denominational.

Baptist IS a denomination. Do you mean they were a "free" or "independant" church that did not belong to a specific Baptist conference?

I found a list of most of the major current religions:

Asatru (Norse Paganism) *
Baha'i Faith
Buddhism
Caodaism
Christianity
Confucianism
Damanhur Community
Druidism
Druze
Eckankar
Elian Gonzalez religious movement
Gnosticism
Goddess Worship
Gypsies
Hare Krishna - ISKCON
Hinduism
Islam
Jainism
Judaism
Lukumi
Macumba
Mowahhidoon
Native American Spirituality
Rom, Roma, Romani, Rroma, (a.k.a. Gypsies)
Santeria
Satanism; The Church of Satan
Scientology
Shinto
Sikhism
Taoism
The Creativity Movement (formerly called World Church of the Creator
Unitarian-Universalism
Vodun (Voodoo)
Wicca
Witchcraft
Zoroastrianism

Attend to Independent Baptist church .. the best and most trusted of all there is.

Reba is smart to choose that kind of church because she must know the real reasons why I chose it.

I was christian and I stopped because few reasons happened in the church, I rather to not talk abt it.

Right now, Im more part of Native American(Indian people)'s Religion. :thumb: Thats Native American Spirituality

MorriganTait said:
Christians are divided into three major groups, and in each of those groups numerous subgroups exist.

Protestant (which includes Mormon/LDS AND Non-denominational Christian churches.)

I am not sure why there is such a need to exclude LDS from the major sub-group of Protestants - it is most certainly from these roots that the Mormons formed, like many other subsects that formed around the same time in history.

Morrigan Tait,

I am an ex-Mormon. I had joined the LDS church in 1993, left it officially, I believe, in 1999. LDS is not Christian, as it believes that Jesus and Lucifer (Satan) were brothers, which is contrary to Scripture. LDS believe, also, that when each of us die, Joseph Smith will be sitting next to God and counseling Him as to where we, individually, should go...Heaven or Hell. Sorry, God doesn't need any "counsel," especially from a man who wasn't even raised in a church and, at best, it was very shallow and no substance in its beliefs.

HoneyShot said:

HoneyShot,

I am Jewish myself...a "New Jew." The New Testament has given me that right due to [Old Testament] Jews rejection of Yeshua (Jesus) as Your Messiah. Go back and reread all of your Old Testament, especially Isaiah and Jeremiah where it tells about what the Messiah is supposed to be and where He is supposed to come from.

MorriganTait said:
Baptist IS a denomination. Do you mean they were a "free" or "independant" church that did not belong to a specific Baptist conference?

Morrigan Tait,

There are several fellowships of Baptists: Southern Baptist (SBC), Baptist General Conference, General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC) and others that are totally independent (no hierarchy in church government).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back