what qualifies as "proficient" in a ASL (or any language really)

That's for the education dept only. I dont know about the other depts

My point was: If they strictly enforce that for people who are entering education, why do not they practice what they preach?

When Reba said they don't fool around, I questioned that.

From what I understand medical interpreting is not for rookie interpreters. It is for people who have been interpreting for some time.

I think that to be a interpreter for medical and court purposes, you have to take classes specifically for those areas.

Being proficient means being able to have conversations without writing stuffs or asking others what they are signing.

...I think that to be a interpreter for medical and court purposes, you have to take classes specifically for those areas....
Mental health and legal interpreting require further education. Medical does not, although further training and experience is encouraged.

also, to be "proficient" as an interpreter, one must be able to move between two languages with accurate fluency.

In the Master's program at Gallaudet University, all of us had to pass the ASL profiency test before being able to do our student teaching internship. It involves fluency both expressively and receptively. I dont know what kind of criteria they have set up that defines fluency but it was a tough test to pass. Many people didnt pass it.

The aslpi is required of all new students?

Back