What NOT to do in a freezing house

I'm guessing the CO levels were high which is why they removed you from the building. You're lucky it didn't happen while you were sleeping or you may not have awoken.
I don't know if there is a deaf friendly CO detector. If there is, you should get at least one for your place.

That's what I was thinking, too. It was thanks to a housemate alerting me to the problem by leaving me a message on my ntouch mobile, and that's how I found out.

We DO have CO2 detectors, and the flashing fire alarm that the building has is also outfitted with the CO2 detection system, which would automatically alert the Fire Department, and send the proper people here (There are two fire stations less than 5 miles from my house).

i did not know the PD could help like that in these extreme situations. i am impressed. I am very happy you are safe.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

How about a letter to the editor of one of the major newspapers, I am sure the police department would welcome some favorable publicity.

How about a letter to the editor of one of the major newspapers, I am sure the police department would welcome some favorable publicity.

Now THAT'S an idea I would consider, for sure.

Also, we have moved to a more secure location while the furnace is being repaired, and hopefully we'll be back home in a few hours.

i did not know the PD could help like that in these extreme situations. i am impressed. I am very happy you are safe.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

They certainly can, if you know how to get their attention quick enough.

I had two options: I could call 311, and wait forever for a police officer to come, and potentially seal my fate, OR I could call the station directly, and explain my situation, and I did the latter, and that got us to a safer place, and got the attention it needed.

And how did you get the AllDeaf app for Android? I've been searching for that, and haven't been able to find it.

Next time, you should buy electric heater and use for emergencies only.

They're actually trying to fix it right now. It's the first time it's ever had any serious problems like this.

No place warmer than a toasty police station and friendly officers.
One of the 24-hr shelters that they opened during this cold weather emergency here is the county detention center work camp facility. (It's a branch of the Sheriff's jail.)

One of the 24-hr shelters that they opened during this cold weather emergency here is the county detention center work camp facility. (It's a branch of the Sheriff's jail.)

And not a place I wanna end up-- unless I wanna wear orange.

And not a place I wanna end up-- unless I wanna wear orange.
But I thought you went to the police station?

Anyway, you should request the Mods merge this thread with your other one about your furnace crisis. It's really a continuation of the same topic.

:wave:I'm very glad that at least you got some help,ChicagoBlue, and things may be more promising!

But I thought you went to the police station?

Anyway, you should request the Mods merge this thread with your other one about your furnace crisis. It's really a continuation of the same topic.

Yes, I did, but not to the jail cell area. More like a common area where officers catch a break and enjoy a snack and beverages. And you're right-- I probably should do that.

(Hey mods! Let's go ahead and do that, shall we? Keep the thread "What NOT to do in a freezing house and lose this thread subject line. Thank You!!)

I dunno seems odd to me. Then again i've been as far north as the arctic circle so maybe the cold isn't that hard on me.
In the coldest of days. If you still have power and you remain inside. Your fine. So you will freeze a bit. Its good for you.
If you loose power even int he coldest days. I'm talking if outside is -35. -40 you will be ok. You need to use the human mind. You need understand your body and what your dealing with. You need to know how to stay warm, maintain body core temperature, and you need to know to think it through. never panic. what ever happens no matter what remember. your a human. on top of the food chain. nothing phases you. your mind will get you through it. That time is on your side. The sun will come up. What to do inside when its that cold? If you have blankets its easy. If you have multiple blankets its easier. If you have another human being male/female doesnt matter its very very easy. snuggle tight to conserve body heat. i mean really snuggle tight.
stay of the floor-it conducts heat away from your body
Pitch a tent with you blankets. As in have yourself completely covered by the blankets with an air pocket between you and the farthest blanket. or think it through and have fun. im sure you can come with multiple ways to pitch a tent with a blanket even if you only have a chair and a hanger. Think. this will allow you to maintain better heat control
do not go outside or open any windows.
Light a candle (yes trust me, one candle will help keep the edge off, of course don't have it close to the blanket)
If your up and cant remain in a position anymore then train.
Work out, move around get your body core temp warm.
If you feel your body going into defensive mode (shivers shaking) then repeat above.
its fun. especially when the power goes out, and its -35 outside, and you see frozen animals dead in their tracks. no power, no heat, just you and your mind inside to get to tomorrow. its fun. its my favorite part of winter.
Calling the cops is something id never do. The best way to handle the cold is the human mind. You have all the tools you need to bunker down inside during the worse colds even with no heat. I've done it. I've done it at the edge of the world
you can too.

Wow!!! Is that Rogers Park police department? Either way, I'm really impressed with courteous service.

It was my idea. :lol:

No heat in house while weather is extreme freezing is dangerous.

It certainly is, and had we not gotten out when we did, we likely would be in body bags this morning-- all five of us. Thanks to my housemate bringing attention to the matter, she potentially saved all of us.

It certainly is, and had we not gotten out when we did, we likely would be in body bags this morning-- all five of us. Thanks to my housemate bringing attention to the matter, she potentially saved all of us.

oh stop it.

I dunno seems odd to me. Then again i've been as far north as the arctic circle so maybe the cold isn't that hard on me.
In the coldest of days. If you still have power and you remain inside. Your fine. So you will freeze a bit. Its good for you.
If you loose power even int he coldest days. I'm talking if outside is -35. -40 you will be ok. You need to use the human mind. You need understand your body and what your dealing with. You need to know how to stay warm, maintain body core temperature, and you need to know to think it through. never panic. what ever happens no matter what remember. your a human. on top of the food chain. nothing phases you. your mind will get you through it. That time is on your side. The sun will come up. What to do inside when its that cold? If you have blankets its easy. If you have multiple blankets its easier. If you have another human being male/female doesnt matter its very very easy. snuggle tight to conserve body heat. i mean really snuggle tight.
stay of the floor-it conducts heat away from your body
Pitch a tent with you blankets. As in have yourself completely covered by the blankets with an air pocket between you and the farthest blanket. or think it through and have fun. im sure you can come with multiple ways to pitch a tent with a blanket even if you only have a chair and a hanger. Think. this will allow you to maintain better heat control
do not go outside or open any windows.
Light a candle (yes trust me, one candle will help keep the edge off, of course don't have it close to the blanket)
If your up and cant remain in a position anymore then train.
Work out, move around get your body core temp warm.
If you feel your body going into defensive mode (shivers shaking) then repeat above.
its fun. especially when the power goes out, and its -35 outside, and you see frozen animals dead in their tracks. no power, no heat, just you and your mind inside to get to tomorrow. its fun. its my favorite part of winter.
Calling the cops is something id never do. The best way to handle the cold is the human mind. You have all the tools you need to bunker down inside during the worse colds even with no heat. I've done it. I've done it at the edge of the world
you can too.

Uh, yeah..... not with a 70-plus year old woman in the house. Had I not called, I would likely be facing reckless homicide or manslaughter charges, and I'm not gonna do that. It's not worth it. Better safe than sorry. I'm way smarter than that.

Back