What kind of mac should I get?

webexplorer said:
You would have not to worry about paying a lot of money if your computer goes wrong. For a G5 desktop, the AppleCare cost around 270 dollars for 3 years. If your warranty is already expired, then you would end up a hundred to a thousand dollar for a repair service.
What is the length of time for a normal Apple warranty without AppleCare?

A month ago, a tree branch fell and knocked the power line. Somehow the electricity killed my computer's logic board. It was my fault that I did not buy a battery backup device (UPS). It could cost me approximately $1,000 for the logic board replacement without the AppleCare.
AppleCare replaced your logic board for free, no cost?

Okay I've decided a mac mini would be best. But I have a couple questions. Could I plug in a normal PC monitor into it or would I have to use a special adaptor? Does it have a built-in modem or would I have to use an external modem?

Thanks!

Ziusudra said:
I'm considering buying a new mac, but I'm trying to decide whether an ibook, imac, emac or a mac mini would be best. I need a faster mac to do all the things I want to do.

I just wondered whether any of you have had experience with different models of macs so I can get an idea of a good, reliable one to use.

I would say, it depends on what u want to do with a Mac, for power users u would need a G5 tower for complex stuff, otherwise basic internet, basic graphics and gaming u could go for a iMac G5 or a ibook. :) There are many Macs to fit ur needs and demands.

Reba said:
What is the length of time for a normal Apple warranty without AppleCare?

AppleCare replaced your logic board for free, no cost?

Buying a new computer that comes with one year warranty. You could buy an AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within a year as long as the original warranty does not expire...

Yes - they replaced it for free.

webexplorer said:
Buying a new computer that comes with one year warranty. You could buy an AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within a year as long as the original warranty does not expire...

Yes - they replaced it for free.
Thanks for the info.

Ziusudra said:
Okay I've decided a mac mini would be best. But I have a couple questions. Could I plug in a normal PC monitor into it or would I have to use a special adaptor? Does it have a built-in modem or would I have to use an external modem?

Thanks!

You have everything u need to get on the internet on the Mac Mini, the modem is built in even the network port, too. All is there. :) A normal PC monitor will work on the Mac Mini, they come with the DVI to VGA converter with the Mac Mini. You may need to know what ISP is compatible with Mac, though.

Why dop I need to know what ISP is compatible with the Mac?? Would there be a problem if I was going to be networked to a PC via broadband?

I am sure that there are many internet provider services accept both computers. A router device would be fine (it connects two computers). I would rather for you to check the info before you pay your ISP service because some tech supports never response back because they did not have the resource - I think it is a dirty business.

My Verizon Company provides a DSL service, and I still use it. I found out that it is a third party company, and they won't tell me a name of the company because it does not have a tech support e-mail address. It only gives me a phone number. I hate an automatic voice machine asking me several options for the departments. You know what I mean.

Back