What is the law?

aslforme03

Reaction score
I have read through almost all of the posts and if I am repeating another blog I am sorry. I was wondering if a doctor's office MUST provide and interpreter? I had a doctor's office who said they would pay for an interpreter but the Deaf person had to find their own interpreter. Doesn't the law state that they must provide an interpreter? I thought that meant they had to find one and pay for them. Am I right or wrong? :hmm:

Usually in that situation you just give them the phone number of a local interpreting agency or a freelance interpreter that you know. Because they are the ones paying, they have to make the appointment with the interpreter or agency. The law doesn't specify how they FIND the interpreter, only that they pay for it. And because they're paying for it, they have to commit to paying, which means they have to BOOK the interpreter.

Usually in that situation you just give them the phone number of a local interpreting agency or a freelance interpreter that you know. Because they are the ones paying, they have to make the appointment with the interpreter or agency. The law doesn't specify how they FIND the interpreter, only that they pay for it. And because they're paying for it, they have to commit to paying, which means they have to BOOK the interpreter.
Ditto.

Back