What is going on at Gally!!

I understand that they are upset and not happy with King, but throwing apple juice and spitting on him? That's too far. And shit on the floors? omg...it's wrong. It makes the rest of all us deafies look BAD.
I know Lucia.. sigh!! I am glad that I left Gally long time ago. I dont need any drama. sigh

I know Lucia.. sigh!! I am glad that I left Gally long time ago. I dont need any drama. sigh

Me too. I did go to Gally for a collegebound summer program when I was 16 (1997), and felt that it wasn't right for me...glad I made the right decision!

Me too. I did go to Gally for a collegebound summer program when I was 16 (1997), and felt that it wasn't right for me...glad I made the right decision!
It wasnt for you?? Interested. I visited Gally with my classmates during junior year in HS. I saw and thought it wasnt that bad. During my senior year, I was thinking abt going to NTID, but my second mother told me go to Gally bec it was the best for me to meet alot of deaf ppl from all over usa and other countries. I was like oh alright, so got in and realized it was cool college but education was too easy for me. So I left. I wish I've gone to NTID first place BUT I visited NTID and realized it was tooo easy for me too. I decided go to hearing college instead. *sorry off point -- Back to the point*

It wasnt for you?? Interested. I visited Gally with my classmates during junior year in HS. I saw and thought it wasnt that bad. During my senior year, I was thinking abt going to NTID, but my second mother told me go to Gally bec it was the best for me to meet alot of deaf ppl from all over usa and other countries. I was like oh alright, so got in and realized it was cool college but education was too easy for me. So I left. I wish I've gone to NTID first place BUT I visited NTID and realized it was tooo easy for me too. I decided go to hearing college instead. *sorry off point -- Back to the point*

Well, I was all excited to go to Gally and everything, to be with other deafies. When I got there...so many deafies in the collegebound program rejected me right off the bat, was rude, mean, made fun of me, and wouldn't give me the time of the day at all, because I am not very ASL. Guess who I ended up hanging out with, who would let me hang out with? Oral students and CSers...I found I got along much better with them than with the ASLers, they were very nice, easier to communicate with (even though I signed)...it made me feel really sad cause I knew then that I would never fit in at Gally. I came home feeling really depressed. But now I realized that it is for the best, that Gally is not the right school for me.

Well, I was all excited to go to Gally and everything, to be with other deafies. When I got there...so many deafies in the collegebound program rejected me right off the bat, was rude, mean, made fun of me, and wouldn't give me the time of the day at all, because I am not very ASL. Guess who I ended up hanging out with, who would let me hang out with? Oral students and CSers...I found I got along much better with them than with the ASLers, they were very nice, easier to communicate with (even though I signed)...it made me feel really sad cause I knew then that I would never fit in at Gally. I came home feeling really depressed. But now I realized that it is for the best, that Gally is not the right school for me.
Very interested.. I remembered when I was in Prep back in 1987. There were few HoH students who not know much of ASL but mostly oral. It didnt bother me since I am "hoh" (my mother labeled me hoh - but I labeled myself Deaf). I used to it and got know them. I welcomed them into Deaf world, teach them the culture, etc. They didnt feel so reject by us which was good.

Alot of people didnt want to hang out with hoh or not know asl or who have CI. They couldnt understand anything. We all are Deaf so we all are the one! Some dont see it, some do. Life is suck sometimes

All this has me seriously reconsidering attending their HUG program next year. Geez, this is getting ridiculous. I would probably benefit by somewhere a little less.... hmm... how should I say this? Hostile? Radical? While I'm sure immersion would have its benefits, there are tons of different ITPs I would feel safer at.

I think they're doing the right thing.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't like Gallaudet as a college, and I think a good number of the students probably are whiny crybabies. The bottom line is, I still stand by them in agreement that Mr. Jordan and Ms. Fernandes aren't listening to the students, staff, or alumnus. It straight up appears to be a power struggle that they insist on staying no matter what.

Tell me your reasons why you "hate" Jane?

I'm going to NTID in next year, instead of Gallaudet.

I got horrible stories from Dr. Strangelove since he's currently student at Gallaudet right now.

I have personal reason that I don't like Jane, such as some are reason.
-I don't trust her as true deaf.
-She made students went nuts at Gallaudet.
-She's don't trust to deaf culture.
-I believe that she's crappy president at Gallaudet
-I don't like her moral about everything.

All of reason are based on my opinion.

I grew up oral --- learned ASL since I came to Gallaudet when I was 19. Will I be qualified for becoming a president of Gallaudet if I learned ASL later in my life? It hurts when I hear someone mentioned Jane is not qualifed since she learned ASL later on. Her Mom is Deaf too.

It is not about Jane's being an oralist ... but it depends on her potential skills of becoming a President.

Ive never touched Gally campus but heard lots of stories about that famous school. I think its good that college presidents know sign language whether learned late or not--Im not sure how familiar she is with the deaf culture tho which would make the difference to the students. But need to have good leadership skills which is very important and be able to make both the college staff and students happy which is very difficult to do, especially if you are not from the deaf culture background. But if you are talented with managing all kinds of people then that would go a long ways. I am not familiar with Jane and her dealings with the students--they may have a good reason to complain or not.

Taylor,

Jane was raise oral, and learned ASL in her late adulthood years, Those deaf students who stick with their little world, its own unique culture "Deaf Culture" believes that a President of Gally should be a deaf person who shares the same beliefs, values, and language which that would be strong ASL as them! Jane is not one of them, so they don't want her to be the President of Gally. The whole thing is so pathetic and embarrassment to all the deaf people out in the world. That is one reason why I don't hang out with people who are so self-center, spoiled, it's either my way or the highway. :roll:

I disagree with your comment. Why?...

Didn't the DPN back in late 80s students chose Jordan, himself a hard of hearing (not pure deaf) to replace as the Gally prez? Yeah, they did.

So Jane wouldn't make any different apart from Jordan here. She is also a hard of hearing, you see. No difference here.

Real reasons they protest is who she REALLY is (also what her goals were) and how she treated students at Gally beforehand and still is. Not protest over her being raised as oral or HoH, whatever.

You and some should read and read the blogs and such to pick up what the real reasons they protest over, first.

I first thought when I first heard about the protest that it must be done like a copycat or something like that. But I rechecked the stories and blogs whatever it was given as why it was taken in place then I learned and realized more that they actually have real good points.

So appearently some guys here just shoot their mouth and jumped over conclusion without checking thorough their points. It bores me.

Tell you the truth I was both NTID and Gally student before...

Not that much difference between the students shown altogether in both colleges back in late 80s. That's the fact. Just so few has experienced in both cultures like I did. I don't know what it's really like in there nowadays, but I'm sure that it's quite little different now in the campuses unlike I did before.

Hey, please pay some respect to the University of Gallaudet for so many good things they did and still do otherwise than those protests. I don't post any negatives on either NTID or Gally, really. So should you do the same. It varies in all things between them actually, you know better.

Excuse me Web730, You need to check these websites out

"Deaf Enough" | MetaFilter

DeafDC Blog » Gallaudet Students Protest Dr. Fernandes’s Selection

Jobs, News and Views for All of Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed :: Why I'm Protesting

I was a student at Gallaudet some years ago and never graduated. Why? Because I am not ‘culturally Deaf’ and was made to feel very unwelcome by many students there. People would come up to me and tell me to stop voicing (even though I was also signing) telling me ‘this is a DEAF unversity’ and you should not be talking

You need to have deaf parents and as adults marry another ‘real’ deaf person and have deaf children. You need to attend a residential school for the deaf and a host of other items.For them deafness is not a disability that can be overcome with technical aids, interpreters and other accomodation, it is simply a way of life, with a culture of its own. For this reason Dr. Ferandes cannot be accepted—she is not in that image (in spite of having a deaf mother and a deaf sibling) because she grew up as an oral deaf person and she can speak and be understood

You will realized that there are people out there who thinks Gally students are immature and the reason they act who they are. Their attitudes.

I don't have to show any respect to the University of Gallaudet and it's people, My reasons are valid, I don't like those deaf people who stick with their little world who are so judgemental, not very accepting people, and whines and complain about everything. They are there for one reason and that reason only is education.

I was a student at Gallaudet some years ago and never graduated. Why? Because I am not ‘culturally Deaf’ and was made to feel very unwelcome by many students there. People would come up to me and tell me to stop voicing (even though I was also signing) telling me ‘this is a DEAF unversity’ and you should not be talking

Geez, those who tell you to stop voicing are being very rude. If anyone ever tells me to "turn off my voice" I would tell that person to fuck off. It is not his/her voice, it is my voice and I will use my voice if I want to.

I disagree with your comment. Why?...

Didn't the DPN back in late 80s students chose Jordan, himself a hard of hearing (not pure deaf) to replace as the Gally prez? Yeah, they did.

So Jane wouldn't make any different apart from Jordan here. She is also a hard of hearing, you see. No difference here.

Real reasons they protest is who she REALLY is (also what her goals were) and how she treated students at Gally beforehand and still is. Not protest over her being raised as oral or HoH, whatever.

You and some should read and read the blogs and such to pick up what the real reasons they protest over, first.

I first thought when I first heard about the protest that it must be done like a copycat or something like that. But I rechecked the stories and blogs whatever it was given as why it was taken in place then I learned and realized more that they actually have real good points.

So appearently some guys here just shoot their mouth and jumped over conclusion without checking thorough their points. It bores me.

Tell you the truth I was both NTID and Gally student before...

Not that much difference between the students shown altogether in both colleges back in late 80s. That's the fact. Just so few has experienced in both cultures like I did. I don't know what it's really like in there nowadays, but I'm sure that it's quite little different now in the campuses unlike I did before.

Hey, please pay some respect to the University of Gallaudet for so many good things they did and still do otherwise than those protests. I don't post any negatives on either NTID or Gally, really. So should you do the same. It varies in all things between them actually, you know better.

No, I have disagree with you.

I heard about some students have issue because students ask them to turn radio or stereo off and they thought it would destroy deaf culture but... that's totally bullshit. If you ask me to turn radio or stereo off then would ask you to leaving and not want hear about deaf culture. I have pros and cons with deaf culture, and I have rights to turn radio or stereo on, such as bass too, that only I can hear with hearing aids.

Yes I agree.. I use my voice all the time but when I sign I usually have it off .. depends on my mood. I was made fun of at ISD and didnt make me feel welcomed because I was mainstreamed and know how to speak too although I sign. :pissed:

Geez, those who tell you to stop voicing are being very rude. If anyone ever tells me to "turn off my voice" I would tell that person to fuck off. It is not his/her voice, it is my voice and I will use my voice if I want to.

Yea, that's good post. :smoking:

I can speak well enough though I almost never use voice when signing to other deaf or those hearies who are fluent in sign. It's easier for me to sign without voice.

I DO use my voice a lot.

I don't recall anyone critizing me for using my voice since 9th grade but I sure do remember being raked over the coals for being very English.

Foreign languages isn't my forte. If it were my forte, I'd be fluent in spanish after living in a Latino neighborhood for 10 years. :P I really envy those hearing and deaf who can pick up languages easily.

Dino's right.......there's actually a webpage out there by the adminstation, saying that the reason why Jane isn't popular, really has nothing to do with ASL and Deaf identity, it's more her administraive skills.

Back