what if fcc cut vrs already right then what you do next?

Did you miss the part where i said Sorenson is training new people to become interpreters? Cut funding and programs like that will be cut, leaving fewer interpreters all around. Sorenson isn't taking interpreters. People like YOU are using VRS and there is a need for vrs interpreters.

People bitch and whine when they have to wait for VRS hold times (because there ARENT ENOUGH interpreters.) then they bitch because "vrs is taking all the interpreters."

I really can't dumb it down anymore.

Actually, I use relay services via AIM because VP isn't as portable as I'd like it to be. If I had to make a call using VRS, I use HOVRS.

If I had to choose between an education with excellent interpreters versus great VRS service.. An education is more important.

You should know and agree with that point of view. But your wallet and your greed will say otherwise. Right, you're bitching about getting paid more than you should be!

Really. There's a lot of Deaf people who don't need you to "dumb it down".

Who asked you to dumb it down?? Are you being a paternalistic Audist??

O. M. G. I despise "those" kind of interpreters!

vrsterp,

Seems your sweet "You're anti-VRS because you're anti-ASL and anti-interpreters. WE GOT IT. Now stfu and give it a rest." makes me laugh.

I just wished the VRS industry was a lot more compassionate with the supply than they have been. Show me where any of the VRS companies provide training for interpreters? Show me!

Richard

vrsterp,

Seems your sweet "You're anti-VRS because you're anti-ASL and anti-interpreters. WE GOT IT. Now stfu and give it a rest." makes me laugh.

I just wished the VRS industry was a lot more compassionate with the supply than they have been. Show me where any of the VRS companies provide training for interpreters? Show me!

Richard

Stop badgering him, Nesmuth!

I knows that using VRS helps better understanding communications than using yahoo IM, AOL AIM, MSN IM and E-mail or the chatroom...

I was told that face to face on VRS or in person is the better than typing talking to people on aim, msn and yahoo, because every one of us get each other misunderstanding which leads to fighting alots...

I was told that writing letters, or E-mails, talking on phone, tty or on the computer don't works which everyone get alots of misunderstanding, most of us don't understand what the person is trying to says or to explains, so there's a VRS to see the person to try to sort out the problems face to face works better in communicating and better understanding...

It's unfair that hearings can speaks on phone and using webcam, we deaf-hearing impaired had a hard life back then, finally we got the VRS which makes our life much easier, now what ?

Yes .. it is true... i rather use VRS... this way i can show facial expressions.. it is sooo easy to talk to VRS.....

huh, HOVRS n CSDVRS didn't ask for help about being cutting, they are fine, only SORENSON begs for our help to stop FCC cutting, rme. SORENSONVRS asks too much, and they threat deaf ppl who have SORENSON VP to take VP away if they didn't use calling through SORENSONVRS interpreters. forget it so I didn't send FCC, sorensonvrs should be cut!

huh, HOVRS n CSDVRS didn't ask for help about being cutting, they are fine, only SORENSON begs for our help to stop FCC cutting, rme. SORENSONVRS asks too much, and they threat deaf ppl who have SORENSON VP to take VP away if they didn't use calling through SORENSONVRS interpreters. forget it so I didn't send FCC, sorensonvrs should be cut!

Right. Sorenson has been trying to sponsor and fund medical research to help "cure" deafness. They're all about "hearing" and the company is run by hearies. Sorenson's head quarters are in Salt Lake City, Utah. Utah has this reputation that precedes itself as an "Oral" state than a signing one. It's too bad that the Sorenson's Deaf employees are quickly being considered as "scabbies" or versions similar to "Uncle Toms"!

If FCC cuts VRS, I'll celebrate the end of a perfectly waste of service. ;)

Really, I don't care. I never use it. I hardly know anyone who uses it properly.

When I say "properly", it's when people use the video phone or relay services the right way... without using their pagers/computers or talking to someone else in the background during a conversation.

When I say "properly", it's when people use the video phone or relay services the right way... without using their pagers/computers or talking to someone else in the background during a conversation.

LOL :)

Richard

Where did you see that Sorenson is going take the videophone away from us?

Sorenson didn't begging about VRS Fund. Why not you ask another VRS to see if they are conernce about impact their business. Sorenson isn't alone.

Sorenson quote "VRS FUND" not "SORENSONVRS' FUND".

I have seen HOVRS and CSDVRS can impact them too. Just and wait that will impact if VRS fund cutted.

Who will fixing the Sorenson's product of videophone? You blash at Sorenson? I thankful to SORENSON.

Why some of you guy hate Sorenson or hate HOVRS or hate CSDVRS.

Don't you guy think thats thanksful each one of them because we don't have to depend on one VRS for rest of our life or otherwise it will be long long long and longer wait to get interpreter for our calls.

We should something we thanks for VRS but not that FCC's decision to cutting VRS Fund.:bowdown: VRS

Why some of you guy hate Sorenson or hate HOVRS or hate CSDVRS.

Don't you guy think thats thanksful each one of them because we don't have to depend on one VRS for rest of our life or otherwise it will be long long long and longer wait to get interpreter for our calls.

We should something we thanks for VRS but not that FCC's decision to cutting VRS Fund.:bowdown: VRS

I don't like Sorenson because they're taking away the quality of Deaf education at mainstream colleges and universities. Argue all you want, I have lived in 3 different states since 2004. I know what the problem is because I saw it myself.

Sorenson is really hurting Deaf education. They'll tell you they're donating and funding schools to train more interpreters. *insert sarcastic tone here* Yay!! More jobs for hearies! But what about the Deaf people?

Really, you have to learn to think twice before you'd go support a big corporation like a headless chicken.

I don't like Sorenson because they're taking away the quality of Deaf education at mainstream colleges and universities. Argue all you want, I have lived in 3 different states since 2004. I know what the problem is because I saw it myself.

Sorenson is really hurting Deaf education. They'll tell you they're donating and funding schools to train more interpreters. *insert sarcastic tone here* Yay!! More jobs for hearies! But what about the Deaf people?

Really, you have to learn to think twice before you'd go support a big corporation like a headless chicken.

How a deaf person becoming an interpreter on VRS? It's impossible.

Yes, it sounds bad for not hiring deaf someday after they completed helping and installing the VP for their demands. Do you have a better idea for deaf people to work at Sorenson?

I don't think that we should not blame that company. It improves our communication thru the VP interpreters which is great. The only thing that I don't like to hear about taking VP away from their clients if they do not use the VRS often. That's something not right about it. You said that to us.

yeah, and some deaf work such as reps sale, tech support or market relative jobs. I have meet several staff at different deaf expo/event where VRS booth is there, seem most are deaf and few hearing. Of course, interpreter are always hearing. oh well..

got this in email...

Subject: Amy Cohon-Efron did Challenge SorensonVRS company..

Do you know who Amy Cohon-Efron? She did great job and do her research about Sorenson VRS... She said she challenged to Sorenson VRS.... because she wonders why the company is worrying about cuts the money from FCC because the Sorenson did fund to Gally for new SLCC building... how they have that money from??? so she did doing her research and found evidence... Go check her webpage... Go to link:
DEAF WORLD AS EYE SEE IT

June 8, 2007
The Sorenson Challenge - Follow Up
Filed under: Amy's Blogs — abcohende @ 12:26 pm
Whoa — is that interesting?

One commenter pinpointed me to the specific website. The link is: NECA.org and I did little bit more digging (what else is new, eh?) and whoa… fascinating website. It is NECA, also known as National Exchange Carrier Association.

Let me explain little bit about NECA, and what are their responsibilities. In 1983, The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) formed NECA to perform telephone industry tariff filings and revenue distributions following the breakup of AT&T.

So basically, it is an association who make the decision about rates, and they collect data how each carrier (telephone, VRS, TRS, and etc.) performed per month.

There are several reports - and I want to present the first one that you will be most interested, the history of TRS rate cuts.

Second report which I am presenting is the growth of minutes used for Video Relay Services, and you can see the huge surge.

Now, next report that you WILL want to know how much VRS companies earned from these minutes. Remember, this amount consists of several VRS companies, but let’s assume by being safe, that Sorenson claimed that they own approximately 70 percent of share (for VRS, TRS and IP services) … and I want to be little bit conservative by underestimating their share… to maybe 50 percent? Let’s see how much Sorenson received their money from FCC rates…

This is March 2007’s data:

Last report, you will see the chart depicting the growth of VRS and how VRS may surpass the IP relay services in next several months! Poor TRS is in decline… which means we are not using our TTYs anymore, and obviously, the services are becoming worse. I just spoke one business company and they told me how much they loved VRS than TRS, and explained how frustrating for them to leave text relay message with TRS service. That didn’t surprise me.

So, you be the judge of this — analyze data and let us make some kind of determinations… yes VRS are in rise, and the rates are going fall, and who reaped the most money?

Then, Sorenson - its your turn to tell us why the threat of reducing rate is gonna to hurt you?

Twiddling my thumbs…

Amy Enron's "challenge" really goes out to all VRS; this was aimed at Sorenson only because they initiated the discussion/appeal.....

Where did you see that Sorenson is going take the videophone away from us?

Sorenson didn't begging about VRS Fund. Why not you ask another VRS to see if they are conernce about impact their business. Sorenson isn't alone.

Sorenson quote "VRS FUND" not "SORENSONVRS' FUND".

I have seen HOVRS and CSDVRS can impact them too. Just and wait that will impact if VRS fund cutted.

Who will fixing the Sorenson's product of videophone? You blash at Sorenson? I thankful to SORENSON.

I was asked to return VP100 so I happily sent it back.

I m not against Sorenson but it's interpreters, I have seen them not translate exact what i m saying/asking. Ok, here when I was asked for my full name I warned the interpreter to spell my name, and I spelled she wouldnt spell, waited to get my full name then speak, wow she ignored me! she was lost my name is unique, from other country, she asked repeat I see I have warned and asked to spell earlier. Other, Interpreter was upset and said she didnt understand me and kept asking again... again, I know I m from other country but I know ASL, I simply asked her to replace one she said ok I will have to hang up :ugh: I start losing interest to call Sorenson. HOVRS and CSDVRS interpreters have no plms understanding me.

Back