what I have been taught about deaf culture

cental34 said:
One more thing I remembered we were taught: deaf people do not like to be referred to as disabled. I'm very interested to hear comments on this.

That's been an issue burning as long as the cave fires in the midwest. The hardline ASL caste in the deaf communities prefer deaf society to be seen as a language specific group than a disability group. I dont agree with them as being deaf means your ears are not working and you cant fully communicate with the hearies without assistance which is a major life activity.

Richard

Oh SMAHT, you just opened a whole 'nother can o' worms...

I will be SMAHT said:
also dont forget that alot of deaf people never liked to be labeled as "hearing impaired".

I agree but many grantmakers like to see "hearing impaired" in the grant proposals so we have to use it whether we like it or not.

Richard

Right on Richard!

I agree with Richard.
Thats been an issue for many years.
When we apply for grants, the grant writers see "Hearing Imparied" on the grant weather they like it or not.
Most hearies don't know how to commuicate with the deaf I do.
Alot of them think learing sign lanaguage (ASL) is hard, but with practice they can learn.
Margie

Yeah, the "hearing impaired" thing was brought up, too. Basically, we were told, under no circumstances, refer to a deaf person as "hearing impaired." I'm interested to hear feedback on this. :popcorn:

I was taught the same thing as you Cental34. Calling deaf people "hearing impaired" is just focusing on what they aren't and not what they are. Women wouldn't like to be called "male impaired." I would like to hear about what deaf people think about this. I wouldn't call anyone that though. Ever since my teacher explained it to us I have always thought it was really disrespectful.

hearing impaired

i define hearing impaired as your abilty to hear is impaired but you still can hear sounds, like hoh . deaf is you have no abilty to hear sound . i see that some think of it as " what does it matter " well its prity simple if you ask me your either deaf , hoh ,or hearing , ok to all the hearies you want to be called hearing unimpaired or just hearing. :doh:

SunnyDay said:
I was taught the same thing as you Cental34. Calling deaf people "hearing impaired" is just focusing on what they aren't and not what they are. Women wouldn't like to be called "male impaired." I would like to hear about what deaf people think about this. I wouldn't call anyone that though. Ever since my teacher explained it to us I have always thought it was really disrespectful.

Hi new AD newbie here, thought you might be interested to find out more about it, see the link below :)
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=15600&highlight=deaf+hearing+impaired

Eve said:
Ain't that the truth! So many deafies like to use the quote "I can do anything but hear", yet are first in line to cash their Social Security DISABILITY Income checks.

Good point.

This is pathetic to use their deafness for the reason to claim SSDI. They don't have to apply for SSDI if they claimed that they do not consider their deafness as disability. ***shake the head***

I am deaf and working person.

hear P Pronunciation Key (hîr)
v. heard, (hûrd) hear•ing, hears
v. tr.
1. To perceive (sound) by the ear: Can you hear the signal?

im•paired P Pronunciation Key ( m-pârd )
adj.
1. Diminished, damaged, or weakened: an impaired sense of smell.
2. Functioning poorly or incompetently: a driver so tired as to be impaired.
3. Having a physical or mental disability: an impaired child in need of special assistance.

Dunno, it’s accurate, so not worth getting one’s panties in a wad, if you ask me.

deafman6975 said:
well its prity simple if you ask me your either deaf , hoh ,or hearing , ok to all the hearies you want to be called hearing unimpaired or just hearing
hehe, I have heard some hearing people referred to as deaf impaired.

Eve said:
Dunno, it’s accurate, so not worth getting one’s panties in a wad, if you ask me.
The definition is accurate, but the connotation is the problem. The word ****** means stingy, but I don't think many black people would happy if you used that term to describe them. I don't care what a deaf person wishes to be called: deaf, hoh, or hearing impaired; I just go with whatever the person is comfortable with --- I understand some people aren't comfortable with hearing impaired because of the connotation, and some don't like the term hoh because people assume they can hear more than they can, and some people don't like the term deaf because it makes ppl think they must know sign or can't hear anything.

Totally different words....

signer16 said:
The word ****** means stingy, but I don't think many black people would happy if you used that term to describe them.

Actually, the word "niggard" means stingy. It sounds very similar to the racial epithet, but is actually a different word. Completely different word history.

Not criticizing. Just differentiating.

brianb

*light bulb*

One question and wonder who have this.

Who have the disablity handicap parking spot card?

If you deny being disablity ( being deaf ), then you are a fool saying you are not disablity if you have the card.

I do not have one and will not get one!

My ears do not walk! I am walkable!

bigdaddyb said:
Actually, the word "niggard" means stingy. It sounds very similar to the racial epithet, but is actually a different word. Completely different word history.

Not criticizing. Just differentiating.

brianb
You are correct. The two words are totally unrelated. A sad case of "overly-pc-itis."

Hearing Impaired/Deaf

Seems like the world is trying to sugar coat everything these days. We are not allowed to use the "old" signs for different nationalities, etc. I think the term "hearing impaired" was invented by a hearing person -- the kind that are trying to "save" the poor handicapped people! I think hearing people should stay out of our language unless they are CODAS.

As long as the government provides SSI or SSDI, there will always people who will take advantage of it. Some use it for a good purpose and others abuse it.

Being deaf in a large hearing population is difficult and yes, we have to work hard to overcome the obstacles. Sometimes, it is so tempting to give up and live life in peace but then again, I would become "disabled."

did you see the film "Miss Hearing Manners and Miss Deaf Manners"? Just curious!

um OMG!!

Seems like the world is trying to sugar coat everything these days. We are not allowed to use the "old" signs for different nationalities, etc. I think the term "hearing impaired" was invented by a hearing person -- the kind that are trying to "save" the poor handicapped people! I think hearing people should stay out of our language unless they are CODAS.

Really??? Well i am hearing and you think i should not learn your language? Who the F are you? sorry already beat you to the punch i have and continue to learn it. I love my Deaf friends and would not be able to be as good of friends with them with out ASL.

Back