What hearing aids do you wear

hardofhearing92

Reaction score
I'm new here, thought i'd make a little poll, haha.

1. what hearing aids do you wear?
2. How good are they?
3. Do they help you hear everything you want?
4. Are they uncomfortable?
5. What degree hearing loss do you have

Mine;
1. what hearing aids do you wear? BTE Siemens Reflex
2. How good are they? They're okay, a little loud
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? Sort of, but not music.
4. Are they uncomfortable? Sometimes, coz i wear specs aswel, so not always
5. Moderate hearing loss =]

Thanks! :wave:

Welcome to the AD...

1. what hearing aids do you wear? Sometimes wears Unitrion analouge in left ear, always wears Cochlear Nucleus Freedom in right ear
2. How good are they?Most Ha's i had weren't too bad but they weren't enough, I have tried many on the market nothing is loud enough, Unitrion is Okay, it's only enough to hear some environmental sounds, I Prefered Widex senso (digital) out of all of the HA's i had but it wasn't loud enough for my left ear so had to change.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? Unitrion does not give me the sounds i needed like speech which is why I have Cochlear Implant...
4. Are they uncomfortable?I do find HA's uncomfortable at times when the mould starts to get old they become itchy, As really deaf i used them to max but it keeps whistling which is annoying. I don't have much beneift of using HA but do with CI. Wearing CI is a little heavier than HA's i get tired achey ear at the end of the day but otherwise have no problem with it.
5. What degree hearing loss do you have Left is 120db loss, no high freq recorded, Right is 95db loss, no High Freq recorded Pre Implant operation but don't know what it is post op.

1. what hearing aids do you wear? Widex Inteo Pro, right ear only
2. How good are they? It does fine on environmental sounds, but crappy for speech or music.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? No, it does not, which is why I just had CI surgery last week.
4. Are they uncomfortable?Not usually, except I have an irritation now that I am using antibacterial drops for. Itches something fierce! Oh, and I hate the "clicking" sound my glasses sometimes cause.
5. What degree hearing loss do you have. Profound in both ears. L is 100 db with no speech comprehension and R is 90dbs with maybe 10% speech comprehension on a good day. Not very many good days anymore, another reason for CI.

Prior to receiving my CIs, I wore Oticon 380P analog BTEs and Oticon DigiFocus II digital super power BTEs.

2. How good are they?

The 380Ps were of excellent quality since I have owned them for the past 15 years without any need for repair. The Oticon DigiFocus IIs on the other hand were not and they needed to be sent in for repair several times during the first year I owned them.

The Oticon DigiFocus IIs helped me hear environmental sounds better. Neither the DigiFocus IIs or the 380Ps helped me understand speech. Hence, my decision to get CIs.

Not at all. 99% of the time I couldn't even tell I had them on.

Pre-CI left ear started at 95 dB at 250 Hz, 110 dB at 500 Hz, 110 dB at 750 Hz and no measureable hearing aided or unaided at 1000 Hz and above.

Pre-CI right ear started at 90 dB at 250 Hz, 100 dB at 500 Hz, 100 dB at 750 Hz and no measureable hearing aided or unaided at 1000 Hz and above.

I'm now completely deaf without my CIs.

Mine;
1. what hearing aids do you wear? BTE Siemens Reflex
2. How good are they? They're okay, a little loud
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? Sort of, but not music.
4. Are they uncomfortable? Sometimes, coz i wear specs aswel, so not always
5. Moderate hearing loss =]

Thanks! :wave:
i

What hearing aids do you wear

This week everyone wants to know!!:laugh2:

1. what hearing aids do you wear?Siemens Centra SP BTE's both ears
2. How good are they?They have a good reputation.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want?Probably not, but with speechreading, sign, and a little help from my friends, I get by!
4. Are they uncomfortable?A little bulky with my eyeglasse so I am more comfortable if glasses have thin metal bows.
5. What degree hearing loss do you have?A fairly flat loss of 95db left ear and 70 to 75db loss right ear.

Enjoy your time at AD!:)

I currently have one phonak una but I am hoping to (soon) get phonak exelias

2. How good are they?
The one i have now was good but since my speech discrim went down as well as my hearing it no longer works like it use to

No lol

Not really...I sometimes i forget i have them on cuz they don't work as well as b4 lol

moderate hearing loss with the worst dB currently at 50dB-ish

1. what hearing aids do you wear? Phonak Naida V UP (UltraPower)
2. How good are they? They are powerful and have sound compression, but I still have little/no speech discrim with them.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? No, they give me environmental awareness. If there are competing sounds, it just sounds like noise to me.
4. Are they uncomfortable? No, although it's taking me a little time to get used to full shell soft earmolds. I used to wear acrylic and had no problems with them. I did find it a bit cumbersome when I tried the integrated FM system; the longer units sometimes rubbed me a bit.
5. What degree hearing loss do you have Profound--100-120 dB low frequencies, NR high frequencies.

Seems like my audie subscribes to the idea that "if your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". In other words, the greatest thing she has to offer is amplification. Therefore, everyone with hearing loss must have HAs. I attended the ALDA conference a few weeks ago. In talking with others, it seems like people often feel that they must wear HAs even if they offer little help. It was nice to get "permission" to not have to wear them.

Seems like my audie subscribes to the idea that "if your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". In other words, the greatest thing she has to offer is amplification. Therefore, everyone with hearing loss must have HAs. I attended the ALDA conference a few weeks ago. In talking with others, it seems like people often feel that they must wear HAs even if they offer little help. It was nice to get "permission" to not have to wear them.

Off-topic...

I felt the same way during 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss and could no longer benefit from HAs or an FM system. At the same time, since I grew up hearing, I continued to wear my aids so that I could hear environmental sounds which was imperative for me as a totally blind person. I also used a Comtek FM system via DAI (direct audio input) to increase my ability to hear environmental sounds. Now that I look back at that period in my life, sometimes I wonder why I tried so hard to hear.

Off-topic...

I felt the same way during 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss and could no longer benefit from HAs or an FM system. At the same time, since I grew up hearing, I continued to wear my aids so that I could hear environmental sounds which was imperative for me as a totally blind person. I also used a Comtek FM system via DAI (direct audio input) to increase my ability to hear environmental sounds. Now that I look back at that period in my life, sometimes I wonder why I tried so hard to hear.

Amen! :h5:

1. what hearing aids do you wear? Phonak's Supero 413AZ (digital)
2. How good are they? it's fairly powerful, powerful enough for those with severe-profound losses.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? not everything, but it's better than nothing. with both the hearing aid on and lipreading, I can figure out what people are saying (if I can't lipread, I can't "hear" alone; and if I can't hear, I can't read lips alone).
4. Are they uncomfortable? nah.
5. What degree hearing loss do you have? severe-profound in right ear (VERY profound in left, no HA for left ear)

1. what hearing aids do you wear? two Phonak superpower analog
2. How good are they? It's kinda okay.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? Kinda but not 100% helpful. I can hear my dog's barking, my husband's laugh and coughing, tv with high volume, my husband call my name to get my attention, cars background. I can hear with music but not exactly words in sound like CI.
4. Are they uncomfortable? not really
5. What degree hearing loss do you have? I was born with 90db. Now, I has 110db. It's totally dropped down. I am looking forward to get CI.

1. what hearing aids do you wear? 2 Phonak Naida V Ultra Power

2. How good are they? They help me with environmental sounds and I can enjoy music with them. Speech comprehension not so much but I use ASL most of the time anyway.

3. Do they help you hear everything you want?Yes, I don't reeally care about speech discrimination. If I can perceive voice sounds that is good enough for me!

4. Are they uncomfortable?Yup

5. What degree hearing loss do you have? Profound, around 110-120dB up to 1000Hz with no response past that

They help me with environmental sounds and I can enjoy music with them. Speech comprehension not so much but I use ASL most of the time anyway.

JennyB,
I'm fascinated that you're able to hear music with your Naidas. I just saw my audie today and my hearing is worse again:
Hz R/L
250 100/NR
500 115/115
1K 120/120
2K-> NR :|

Music just sounds like noise to me. I can't pick out the melody or any of the words. If I see the title, I can "imagine" that I follow the song, but that's as close as I get. My Naidas are set on speech in noise at the maximum gain. I know no two people hear the same, even with identical audiograms, but I'm fascinated and happy for you (and a bit jealous *sigh*).

1. what hearing aids do you wear? Spirit 3 Sp hearing aid and Nucleus Freedom
2. How good are they? the spirit 3 sp is not very good, cannot hear much, the freedom is great and can hear.
3. Do they help you hear everything you want? the spirit 3 sp doesnt help me hear much as all the freedom does
4. Are they uncomfortable? not really
5. What degree hearing loss do you have? I was diagnosed at 9 months as severely deaf now severely-profoundly

They help me with environmental sounds and I can enjoy music with them. Speech comprehension not so much but I use ASL most of the time anyway.

JennyB,
I'm fascinated that you're able to hear music with your Naidas. I just saw my audie today and my hearing is worse again:
Hz R/L
250 100/NR
500 115/115
1K 120/120
2K-> NR :|

Music just sounds like noise to me. I can't pick out the melody or any of the words. If I see the title, I can "imagine" that I follow the song, but that's as close as I get. My Naidas are set on speech in noise at the maximum gain. I know no two people hear the same, even with identical audiograms, but I'm fascinated and happy for you (and a bit jealous *sigh*).

Hey there,

My audiogram looks something like this...
R/L
250 105 110
500 110 115
700 120 120
1000 120 120

Nothing past that.

What is your hearing history like? I used to have more hearing than that, for most of my life I was moderate-profound HOH. I had the issues with language development though so I was started in Total Communication. I grew up knowing SEE and using oral communication. Now I am Deaf, I use ASL most of the time but I still speak and speech read as needed.

I love music and I always have. It is kind of interesting actually, I can't understand speech or the vast majority of environmental sounds to save my life but I can understand and enjoy music. It was a lot of work on my part, my audiologists too!

Have you looked at my blog? It's a bit of an overview of my life as a Deaf person...includes lots of stuff on struggles with the Naidas! Believe me there have been MANY problems! I just got a new set on Friday, my last ones were eating batteries! My new ones are purple too! Hehehe

Hey there,

My audiogram looks something like this...
R/L
250 105 110
500 110 115
700 120 120
1000 120 120

Nothing past that.

What is your hearing history like? I used to have more hearing than that, for most of my life I was moderate-profound HOH. I had the issues with language development though so I was started in Total Communication. I grew up knowing SEE and using oral communication. Now I am Deaf, I use ASL most of the time but I still speak and speech read as needed.

I love music and I always have. It is kind of interesting actually, I can't understand speech or the vast majority of environmental sounds to save my life but I can understand and enjoy music. It was a lot of work on my part, my audiologists too!

Have you looked at my blog? It's a bit of an overview of my life as a Deaf person...includes lots of stuff on struggles with the Naidas! Believe me there have been MANY problems! I just got a new set on Friday, my last ones were eating batteries! My new ones are purple too! Hehehe

I had a mild/moderate hearing loss since college (a long time ago...) and had sudden severe loss about 6 months ago. Since then it has progressively deteriorated, now quite profound. Part of my issue is that things changed soooo rapidly that my brain hasn't caught up. I'm hoping that with time, I may be able to appreciate the sounds that I hear (if I don't lose the rest of my hearing before that). I'm pretty borderline for using the Naidas since the only benefit is environmental awareness, not speech recognition.

jennyb,

when listening to music with your naidas, do you use dai (direct audio input)? prior to receiving my first ci when i had severe-profound hearing loss, i had to use dai to hear music.

I had a mild/moderate hearing loss since college (a long time ago...) and had sudden severe loss about 6 months ago. Since then it has progressively deteriorated, now quite profound. Part of my issue is that things changed soooo rapidly that my brain hasn't caught up. I'm hoping that with time, I may be able to appreciate the sounds that I hear (if I don't lose the rest of my hearing before that). I'm pretty borderline for using the Naidas since the only benefit is environmental awareness, not speech recognition.

Yeah, I get nothing in the form of speech. Well...I can hear it but it doesn't make sense. Sometimes I can make the odd words out if I know the person, like my mom, but that is very rare.

Do you sign? How long have you had your Naidas for?

jennyb,

when listening to music with your naidas, do you use dai (direct audio input)? prior to receiving my first ci when i had severe-profound hearing loss, i had to use dai to hear music.

I can hear it through speakers but not as well as when I use Tcoil earhooks. I love music and I always have. It's kind of ironic in some respects I guess! :giggle:

Back