What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
weird. never heard of that. usually here in the us the wage is set by how difficult the job is and what educational requirements are for that job plus previous experience.

Like the general manager of WM earns 65K/year
Cashiers earn 7.80 per hour.

But if you work say in Poultry if you have previous experience in another plant they may hire you in for a premium job right off the street when they normally hire from within the plant for that specific job. But if you have no previous experience in poultry plants then you will be given a very basic job on the line that no one wants for regular base pay of around $9.00/hr which is the industry standard and actual pay may vary from company to company.

Here in the states you essentially have three types of pay:
1. hourly wages which are usually very low. May or may not have health benefits. Depends on the company and how many hours you will be working.
2. salaried wages which are mediocre but you will work around 70 hours per week in these jobs with no extra money. These usually have the best benefits attached to them such as health insurance and vacation time.
3. Contract workers who get paid based on what project they are working on, or like freelancers who get paid by the piece rather than by the salary or hour. These people can make fairly good money but they have no health benefits.

weird. never heard of that. usually here in the us the wage is set by how difficult the job is and what educational requirements are for that job plus previous experience.

Like the general manager of WM earns 65K/year
Cashiers earn 7.80 per hour.

But if you work say in Poultry if you have previous experience in another plant they may hire you in for a premium job right off the street when they normally hire from within the plant for that specific job. But if you have no previous experience in poultry plants then you will be given a very basic job on the line that no one wants for regular base pay of around $9.00/hr which is the industry standard and actual pay may vary from company to company.

Here in the states you essentially have three types of pay:
1. hourly wages which are usually very low. May or may not have health benefits. Depends on the company and how many hours you will be working.
2. salaried wages which are mediocre but you will work around 70 hours per week in these jobs with no extra money. These usually have the best benefits attached to them such as health insurance and vacation time.
3. Contract workers who get paid based on what project they are working on, or like freelancers who get paid by the piece rather than by the salary or hour. These people can make fairly good money but they have no health benefits.
yes, but whats different. For my day job, the salary is based on your experience background, because the salary packages are alwways inbetween on WHO you hire.

Just printed out my resignation letter - will be handing to my boss tonight

Wirelessly posted

We have meat pies here too. Wouldn't eat an Australian one after reading what's allowed in Aussie meatpies.

Dixie, is the extra ~$160 untaxed for 20 work hours worth it on the weekends over being able to be with your kid and rest time?
Sounds like a steep tradeoff, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Just printed out my resignation letter - will be handing to my boss tonight
You found a new job? :thumb:

Dixie, is the extra ~$160 untaxed for 20 work hours worth it on the weekends over being able to be with your kid and rest time?
Sounds like a steep tradeoff, but that's just my own personal opinion.

You found a new job? :thumb:
No, I have the day job F/T still but I am getting rid of my second job, which is no good to me.

That I am not cut out for a vegetarian diet. I can only go without milk (allergic to milk) and be organic at the same time for so long. Yeasts and eggs are not cutting it enough. It's doable if I resort to processed food, but dammit man! I don't want to eat factory food!

All I can say is... I now got an explanation why a few vegetarians I have met appear to be brain-damaged, or kindly put it: think differently, after this horrid, horrid on-and-off five months experiment. I wish I can blame someone for this, but I got no one to blame but myself.

Now it's time to go through my old Facebook status updates, tweets, blog posts and forum posts and start facepalming at what I've posted in the last few months.

That I am not cut out for a vegetarian diet. I can only go without milk (allergic to milk) and be organic at the same time for so long. Yeasts and eggs are not cutting it enough. It's doable if I resort to processed food, but dammit man! I don't want to eat factory food!

All I can say is... I now got an explanation why a few vegetarians I have met appear to be brain-damaged, or kindly put it: think differently, after this horrid, horrid on-and-off five months experiment. I wish I can blame someone for this, but I got no one to blame but myself.

Now it's time to go through my old Facebook status updates, tweets, blog posts and forum posts and start facepalming at what I've posted in the last few months.
son_i_am_disappoint.gif

Well Last night, I watched TV and learn that women's make up mascara makes from Bat's guano! :\

I learned that perhaps "blueballs" is not the best name to save my experiments videos under.... (to be fair, I really am looking at blue glass balls under a microscope)

For me to earn $100 extra dollars per weekend cashiering at WM I would have to work at least 10 hours both days putting in 20 hours over the weekend, then allow for taxes to be taken out and voila 20 additional hours of work for 100 extra dollars. So on a good week at Tyson and WM would be broken down like this:
M-F: 7a-5:30p. 9.50hrs per day at 9.80 per hr equals 93.10 per day before taxes. 465.50 per week before taxes.
S-S: 7a-6p 10 hrs per day at 7.80 per hour equals 78.00 per day before taxes. 156.00 per weekend before taxes.
All together it would be 621.50 USD before taxes every week. 186.45 to taken for taxes, SS, FICA, etc. comes out to 435.05 after taxes per week. Is it worth it? I dunno.

And here I thought I didn't earn a lot of money. Then again, standards are also higher where I live. One flat appartment rent is at least 1000 USD/month. :eek3: I'm not even talking about electricity, water, gas, etc. You get the picture ;)

Personally I spent about 15 USD/month for the phone. My friends don't understand why. I say, that I can't afford to spend more time on the phone and since I have the internet, might just as well send out emails when I have something *useless* and *not urgent* to communicate since most friends are online anyway at least once per day.

Maybe you can try to work 7 days per week, see how it goes and then if it doesn't just quit... But better make sure what kind of contract you sign ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back