What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prescription sleep medications work immediately. They don't have to build up in your system to work. There are many reported cases of very unusual things happening while on prescription sleep medication.

Example....Ambien.....people have driven their car in the middle of the night and have absolutely no memory of doing so. They get up and eat a ton of food, make phone calls, order things online. Wild dreams are very common for some people while using prescription sleep meds.

silver alert! silver alert!

I switch back and forth from Ambien to Lunesta. I build up a tolerance to Ambien so when I start to, I pop back to Lunesta for a few weeks, then pop back to Ambien. Any time I am on Ambien... I sleep walk bad though... I don't really dream though... but I sleep walk.... sooooooo bad.... :shock: I hide my keys and luckily I have a door combination lock on my front door to open it... apparently, that's too much for sleep walking Mew to handle... :laugh2: Plus, the latches... :laugh2: I hold sleep conversations too though, but that's apparently just amusing... :P

OMG, there's probably more locks bolts n latches than my entire apt combined! :shock: How about setting up a lamp with a motion detector adapter that would set off a strobe light?

OMG, there's probably more locks bolts n latches than my entire apt combined! :shock: How about setting up a lamp with a motion detector adapter that would set off a strobe light?

With my luck that would just cause me to disco sleep dance or some crap... :laugh2: It's only 5 locks... really not that big of a deal, most have 2 or 3 locks, I just have an extra number lock which all of the condos in my community came equipped with anyways. :P I just added an extra dead bolt higher up and another chain. :D Seriously though, reading some of those Ambien sleep stories where people have driven and run over people and some guy went out and shot people... no thanks, I feel more secure having tons of locks... :shock: :laugh2:

I break them woth my dads equopment. Idk how heck people dont hear this... I jump fences on my sleep. I cant do that awake even if i tried. Lol

I learned very recently that Rescue 911 has episodes on YouTube.

I learned a few minutes ago that my son-in-law has a golf-ball size infection on his leg stump. We're praying that meds will heal it, and that he won't need further amputation. He can't use any prosthetic until it heals. :(

I learned more about SIL's leg problem. He has to keep the prostheses off for at least a week, and try to keep his stump elevated as much as possible. He has a walker that he can use but it means he can't go to work.

I learned from my daughter that these infections are common with leg amputations. The blood in their stumps doesn't circulate properly because of their surgery. Also, when they wear prosthetic legs, the connecting cuff squeezes the stump snuggly. Then, when they take the legs off, the blood rushes down to the bottom of the stump. That why it often looks purple, and whenever SIL takes off the leg at home, he has to lounge with the stump elevated for a while. Something as simple as an ingrown hair can cause a major infection. (Think about the fact that their skin is folded under at the end of the stump, so hairs aren't growing in the normal direction.)

So, I learned a lot today.

I learned more about SIL's leg problem. He has to keep the prostheses off for at least a week, and try to keep his stump elevated as much as possible. He has a walker that he can use but it means he can't go to work.

I learned from my daughter that these infections are common with leg amputations. The blood in their stumps doesn't circulate properly because of their surgery. Also, when they wear prosthetic legs, the connecting cuff squeezes the stump snuggly. Then, when they take the legs off, the blood rushes down to the bottom of the stump. That why it often looks purple, and whenever SIL takes off the leg at home, he has to lounge with the stump elevated for a while. Something as simple as an ingrown hair can cause a major infection. (Think about the fact that their skin is folded under at the end of the stump, so hairs aren't growing in the normal direction.)

yea I read that it still take people several months to even a few years to get really adjusted to prosthetic limb.

poor blood circulation and infection are common issues. I saw this interesting video last week - David Sengeh: The sore problem of prosthetic limbs | Talk Video | TED.com

did you actually TASTED it??:shock::laugh2:

I had some friends that brought a box of dog cookies that where suppose to be difference flavors and the husband tasted each flavor and he said they all tasted the same . Each flavor was a difference color too. If the cookies are homemade I see nothing wrong with tasting it. I wonder if the dog like them.

Reba, I am sorry to hear about your SIL ,that sound very painful .

Yes, very common problems sadly. I hope he gets to feeling better soon enough. I'm sure he'll be doing fine in no time. :aw:

He probably has a long complicated set of care and maintenance instructions for his stump. It is human nature to not do them all. I had a similar list at one time and was a little lax. The resulting infection nearly killed me. At that point for a small window in time I was a truly teachable goodonya. At that point my situation changed me as a person. Not much but enough that I can follow a long list of instructions religiously to save myself despite my inclination to fight them.
He sounds like a real fighter and a great guy Reba, he will battle his way through.

I just learned that my SIL's leg infection is getting better. His doctor told him today that he just barely avoided getting hospitalized. Whew!

I learned that when sending photos in an e-mail, it's best to use the same kind of account the recipient has, so things will go smoother. I learned a few new things about that yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back