What did you learn today? Part II

I don't want to sound ignorant as I'm curious and don't know how to ask this in an appropriate way, but...: let's say you are deaf or have symptoms lending to hearing loss and you marry a normal hearing. Would the newborn child have a greater chance of being born deaf? What if both parents are deaf/Hoh?

I just want to get this out the way. Could you also provide a scientific resource to your answer? Thanks

I wish I were in Florida right now. I know of 4 families that have either already gone, or are planning on going down there this summer. I wish I could get the time off from work to go, I'v never seen the ocean and I want to know what it's like.

I don't want to sound ignorant as I'm curious and don't know how to ask this in an appropriate way, but...: let's say you are deaf or have symptoms lending to hearing loss and you marry a normal hearing. Would the newborn child have a greater chance of being born deaf? What if both parents are deaf/Hoh?

I just want to get this out the way. Could you also provide a scientific resource to your answer? Thanks

You could probably look this up yourself, but you would need to know the cause of your hearing loss first of all. And know it has a genetic basis.
'Then you could try to apply Mendel's law.

It depends on whether it's genetic. There have been other threads pertaining to this. If you incurred a loss due to a fever, say spinal menigitis, for example, that would not be passed on. However, I am a CMV child, so future children of mine would likely have been deaf as that is hereditary. And so on .. In other cases, both parents could be HOH/deaf, yet not carry any genetic factors, so their child could be hearing. If you're curious for yourself, you would need to know what caused your loss, and what caused the loss of the person you wanted to carry a child with.

You could probably look this up yourself, but you would need to know the cause of your hearing loss first of all. And know it has a genetic basis.
'Then you could try to apply Mendel's law.

Mendel law! I remember that back in school, but of course for me, it wasn't 'interesting' for me at the time. :lol:

Random articles upon Google search, so ill keep this in mind. Thanks

I learn it how professional php easy firefox css wow!

It depends on whether it's genetic. There have been other threads pertaining to this. If you incurred a loss due to a fever, say spinal menigitis, for example, that would not be passed on. However, I am a CMV child, so future children of mine would likely have been deaf as that is hereditary. And so on .. In other cases, both parents could be HOH/deaf, yet not carry any genetic factors, so their child could be hearing. If you're curious for yourself, you would need to know what caused your loss, and what caused the loss of the person you wanted to carry a child with.

Thank you. It makes sense. I looked up CMV and its symptoms. Likely, but not absolutely passable onto a child. Percentages? It would be interesting.

If a parent loses his/her hearing due to excessive loud noise, it wouldn't be passed onto a child as its not genetic from the parents.

My loss doesn't stem from any hereditary or genetic factors as far as I can tell and it wasn't due from a fever, German measles, or other childhood diseases. From what I gather - I was born without hair follicles in my L ear. No one has been willing to tell me the whole story, and I'm not sure of how to go about finding out the rest of it. But I am not sure if this is completely correct as I noticed a while back that my DD screamed in my L ear, it didn't hurt but it was like I felt this odd vibration in there from the sound, so I am thinking I have *some* hearing there - but nothing that is actually measurable. I am considered severe-to-profound in my L ear and moderate in my R. If there were absolutely no hair follicles in the ear canal - I would be absolutely stone deaf.

My loss doesn't stem from any hereditary or genetic factors as far as I can tell and it wasn't due from a fever, German measles, or other childhood diseases. From what I gather - I was born without hair follicles in my L ear. No one has been willing to tell me the whole story, and I'm not sure of how to go about finding out the rest of it. But I am not sure if this is completely correct as I noticed a while back that my DD screamed in my L ear, it didn't hurt but it was like I felt this odd vibration in there from the sound, so I am thinking I have *some* hearing there - but nothing that is actually measurable. I am considered severe-to-profound in my L ear and moderate in my R. If there were absolutely no hair follicles in the ear canal - I would be absolutely stone deaf.
Okay excuse me if I don't have the right words to put it this way:
So you just happened to be born without hair follies with no connections from your parents whatsoever? Is that like 1 in the thousands for that to happen? Because of this (no genetics passed on) can you pass it on to a child as your own? What about your right ear as its "moderate" hearing? Could it overcome your left? You know what I'm trying to say?

I wish I were in Florida right now. I know of 4 families that have either already gone, or are planning on going down there this summer. I wish I could get the time off from work to go, I'v never seen the ocean and I want to know what it's like.
:eek3:

just do it Tom Sawyer style on Mississippi River!

Salty :lol:

I have no scientific resources to provide, but I was born with SNHL, my hubby is hearing. When we got married I had a moderate to severe hearing loss. I am now total deaf. Our children (2) were both born with SNHL. Daughter (child 1) has a very mild loss, but has speech recognition problems. We don't know if it stems from her hearing loss or from birth related issues. She had an oxygen cut-off at birth. Son (child 2) has a moderate to severe loss. His has gone from Mild to Mod/Severe from birth to age 16. We have been told that he may lose more, but it is not definite.

From what I understand, it depends of the type of hearing loss a parent has to know whether it can be passed on. SNHL is hereditary, but we don't know where I got it as no one in either family had it at all and both my brothers are hearing. Hubby is an only child and there is no hearing loss in his family at all.

I am tried on work hard figure out issues on problem pretty tough! I think so sound interesting! I am very lots of best :D

Finally heard from the mortgage broker and now I have a crap load of documents to scan into the computer as a PDF file and email to him. We don't have it all gathered, but so far, it's close to 40-50 pages. Since my scanner is only a flat bed scanner, that means a different file for each page. Anybody got any ideas on how to combine them?

Recently If suppose happened reason pretty lots of raining suck! worst happened it sunshine awesome!

:shock:

2ihnqqt.jpg

I just learned that there is a nice beach off the Chesapeake Bay near my house. That will be our swimming hole if we don't feel like driving 2 hours to the ocean.

Finally heard from the mortgage broker and now I have a crap load of documents to scan into the computer as a PDF file and email to him. We don't have it all gathered, but so far, it's close to 40-50 pages. Since my scanner is only a flat bed scanner, that means a different file for each page. Anybody got any ideas on how to combine them?

adobe acrobat can combine them

Are you serious???? The ocean and beach are wonderful! Which beach is the closest to you. You live in Alabama?

Okay excuse me if I don't have the right words to put it this way:
So you just happened to be born without hair follies with no connections from your parents whatsoever? Is that like 1 in the thousands for that to happen? Because of this (no genetics passed on) can you pass it on to a child as your own? What about your right ear as its "moderate" hearing? Could it overcome your left? You know what I'm trying to say?
Both of my parents are hearing and have no issues with their hair follicles and have no hearing loss. I don't know if I can pass it on, but DD has been tested and she shows normal hearing in both ears. I can hear out of my right ear w/o an aid but there are times I really struggle with hearing like today we had a guest pastor speak at our church and I had difficulty making out most of what he said - although what I did catch was pretty revealing. I really had to pay attention and speech read to understand him. I guess I should have asked the church to provide me his sermon notes ahead of time. Also, I use CC on my TV although I do find it annoying if it's 5-10 secs behind the actual speech and it cuts off mid-way during commercial breaks. I don't know what the chances are of passing this on to offspring, but apparently this is a recessive trait for both sides of the family and I wound up being homozygous recessive for it, which means, the rare trait shows up for me, if it is a genetic-hereditary issue.
:eek3:

just do it Tom Sawyer style on Mississippi River!
If the economy continues as it has been, I may have to resort to this option, :eek3:
Ya think??
Yeah, I have seen it in photos, but I have never seen it in real life. Sad, huh? Thing is I will be turning 30 in two years. I wonder if I can accomplish this before I turn 30??
Are you serious???? The ocean and beach are wonderful! Which beach is the closest to you. You live in Alabama?
:rofl: I live in Arkansas, a landlocked state! I have been to Alabama, but it was extreme northern Alabama. I have never ever seen the ocean and I wish I could go see it. People tell me how much fun it is, and I see photos of people I know at the beach having the time of their life and I feel like I am missing out. I'll be an oddity in my 30s when I have never seen the ocean and I have never flown in an airplane whereas most people my have done both by age 25. It's almost like I am a 'have not' in a sense. Maybe I should go down there during the off-season while the chickens are out, if possible, and I need a logical reason to be down there. :hmm:

Back