What did you learn today? Part II

I'm learning that either I'm getting spammed or there are a hell of a lot of lonely deaf people out there who are willing to email just about anyone seeking for love and money. I keep getting emails from a deaf woman looking to marry a man. Last I checked, I'm a female. Argh.

:squint: Fe Fi fo fum! I smell Nigarian scammers.

Learnt that my private health provider can cover 85% of the cochlear implant :)

How much do you have to pay? Doesn't Australia have National Health like England?
I dont know, will find out over the phone.
and yes, we do, that's medicare, a public medical levy and it is all free, but the wait is longer than the private one.

I cannot believe my eyes. Someone else has discovered the same thing that I did a while ago. If your hearing gets worse, then those cells that were used for hearing get occupied with other tasks. The brain is said to be 'plastic' meaning that cells can be reprogrammed.

I have always liked sitting in the front in cinemas while my friends liked sitting in the back. This has always confused me. Then I read this article: BBC News - Deaf people 'can rewire brains'. It says that a deaf cat had better vision than otherwise and more brain regions were involved in processing vision. It is assumed that the same phenomenon occurs in our species, Homo Sapiens.

I was so excited, and the Dr. Was amazed :)

I haven't developed enhanced visual powers yet. I don't even know if that's possible. :hmm:

My kid got a scholarship. I'm really proud of him. Now, the hard part will be whether to accept it. :cool2:

That's great news! Is it a full scholarship?
Hope he won't turn it down.

I'm learning that either I'm getting spammed or there are a hell of a lot of lonely deaf people out there who are willing to email just about anyone seeking for love and money. I keep getting emails from a deaf woman looking to marry a man. Last I checked, I'm a female. Argh.

What is worse? Silence or the wrong kind of attention?

I learned my best friend has asked another friend to teach her ASL. She wants to be able to communicate with me when my hearing is gone. I am thrilled!

I learned that son of the girl whose family lived two next houses to my family house for many years, got engulfed with fire that his friends and he played fire with gasoline in the wood. He has suffered a third degree burn over his body and he is going to stay in hospital for a long while. The doctors initially thought he was going to be blind and in the end he was able to regain his vision. Sighs. :(

Boy burned in fire airlifted to St. John's - Local - The Western Star

That's awful. I have a close friend who was severely burned too. He was in the hospital over 4 months. Sorry for your friend's son.

I learned that son of the girl whose family lived two next houses to my family house for many years, got engulfed with fire that his friends and he played fire with gasoline in the wood. He has suffered a third degree burn over his body and he is going to stay in hospital for a long while. The doctors initially thought he was going to be blind and in the end he was able to regain his vision. Sighs. :(

omg... that is terrible! i'm glad he is okay though... i hope he has a speedy recovery. that sounds very painful :(

Third degree burn all over his body? I dunno man... but he's got probably about much less than 50% of chance to survive past 1 week if he doesn't succumb to simple infection.

you definitely don't want to hear how burn patient is being treated to clean off the charred skin :(

Third degree burn all over his body? I dunno man... but he's got probably about much less than 50% of chance to survive past 1 week if he doesn't succumb to simple infection.

you definitely don't want to hear how burn patient is being treated to clean off the charred skin :(

Yes I know what you meant. My sister whose good friend is his mother, has kept my family updated as soon as she receives news. I know one guy from my old SD and he had bit of third degree burn on side of his throat from gasoline on campfire. He has had to wear nylon bandages and undergo skin graft operation for a lifetime. Believe me, it is not a pretty sight when he changes his nylon covers.

If his mother asks for my help like a donation, I am more than willing to do it.

I learned that it's easy to mis-sign the word "hungry/wish" and make it "horny".

I learned that it's easy to mis-sign the word "hungry/wish" and make it "horny".

Oh do tell mbrek! It would make sense that they could be similar since being horny is a kind of hunger or wish :giggle: but the sign I know for horny (maybe CSL not ASL) is nothing like hungry so very curious :lol:.

Oh do tell mbrek! It would make sense that they could be similar since being horny is a kind of hunger or wish :giggle: but the sign I know for horny (maybe CSL not ASL) is nothing like hungry so very curious :lol:.

There are three or four different different signs for horny in Canada depending on regions.

Back