What did you learn today? Part II

Well, it's true that Americans do have a lifelong right to vote (from 18 years on) unless they do something wrong and lose their right. There are only a few Constitutional ways to lose that right. One is to be convicted of a felony, and the other is to lose one's citizenship.

And yet, people make a big fuss when states like SC want voters to show a picture ID to reduce chances of fraud.

because getting free photo ID is full of red tape and they have to get required documents that aren't free.

Elderly, people with disabilities and poor people are hit hard, even some states like Texas doesn't accept student ID but they accept CCW license.

https://newrepublic.com/article/119900/texas-voter-id-allows-handgun-licenses-not-student-ids

Originally Posted by DeafDucky View Post
. . .

"So what WDYS seems to want is lifelong right to vote (that may extend into her death...). "

HUH?? Do you know people do vote when they're 90 plus years old ?? My mom voted when she was in her 90's and she was very much still alive ! :roll:

Well, it's true that Americans do have a lifelong right to vote (from 18 years on) unless they do something wrong and lose their right. There are only a few Constitutional ways to lose that right. One is to be convicted of a felony, and the other is to lose one's citizenship.

And yet, people make a big fuss when states like SC want voters to show a picture ID to reduce chances of fraud.

I think one reason people made a fuss about needing to show photo ID is that not everyone drive or have a photo ID. And that meant poor people wouldn't be able to vote. I live in a small city and the ladies at the voting poll know most people in my ward so we don't have to show any ID yet, but the last time I voted I was ready to show mine . You have to show your ID when going to a new doctor now b/c people are stealing people health insurance by giving someone personal info. So it's really a bad idea posting your real name and DOB etc on line.
http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/s...to-id-laws-preventing-fraud-or-discriminatory

I think one reason people made a fuss about needing to show photo ID is that not everyone drive or have a photo ID. And that meant poor people wouldn't be able to vote. I live in a small city and the ladies at the voting poll know most people in my ward so we don't have to show any ID yet, but the last time I voted I was ready to show mine . You have to show your ID when going to a new doctor now b/c people are stealing people health insurance by giving someone personal info. So it's really a bad idea posting your real name and DOB etc on line.
http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/s...to-id-laws-preventing-fraud-or-discriminatory

Yes but states offer free ID with lengthy red tape.

Reba, I think that you oppose to red tape so why would you think that free ID program is easier and simple? It discourage people from voting rather than encourage them to have opportunities.

I had to deal with a lot of red tape with absentee ballot and my state made absentee ballot more difficult after passage of voter ID law.

HUH?? Do you know people do vote when they're 90 plus years old ?? My mom voted when she was in her 90's and she was very much still alive ! :roll:
Yes I do know people well into their 90s vote. My grandfather did until his death at 90.

My POINT was that it HAS happened that votes were from DEAD people and in a way having active voter lists with DEAD people on them is a possibility. That is why I'd like to see some checks and balances with voting- miss 2 elections, get put on in inactive/removed list.

:roll: right back atcha (and I know you only see my posts indirectly now)

Deafducky think you can , I was responding to what they said.
I never said that I think that dead people can. I said that dead people on the rolls can conceivably "used" to vote. Which is why I think that active/inactive-"remove" lists are a good thing to have as well as photo ID (State ID, Driver's license, Passport- hm not sure if a Metro Photo ID card would be acceptable- never thought of that one)

wasting my breath aren't I?

I never said that I think that dead people can. I said that dead people on the rolls can conceivably "used" to vote. Which is why I think that active/inactive-"remove" lists are a good thing to have as well as photo ID (State ID, Driver's license, Passport- hm not sure if a Metro Photo ID card would be acceptable- never thought of that one)

wasting my breath aren't I?

Care to join me in chanting, "idiot, idiot, idiot"???

Care to join me in chanting, "idiot, idiot, idiot"???
Soitenly!

and Certainly will!

Foxrac said:
Enough with personal attack, also no wonder about you got misunderstood easily. *SMH*

She didn't do a personal attack on me...at least not yet- that I know of. She did however misunderstand what I was trying to get at.

Voter ID in South Carolina
The county board of elections will need to have a current and valid photo ID on file for your vote to count in South Carolina.

If you don't have a driver's license to prove your identity, you can apply for a free ID card through the South Carolina DMV.

To apply for a voter ID card, you'll simply need to:

Complete an Application for a Non-Commercial Credential (Form 447-NC).
Provide proof of your identity and date of birth.
Provide proof of your U.S. citizenship.
Provide proof of your Social Security number.
Provide proof of your SC residency.

Voter ID in South Carolina
The county board of elections will need to have a current and valid photo ID on file for your vote to count in South Carolina.

If you don't have a driver's license to prove your identity, you can apply for a free ID card through the South Carolina DMV.

To apply for a voter ID card, you'll simply need to:

Complete an Application for a Non-Commercial Credential (Form 447-NC).
Provide proof of your identity and date of birth.
Provide proof of your U.S. citizenship.
Provide proof of your Social Security number.
Provide proof of your SC residency.

That's seems red flag to me, but in the past, the ID isn't mandatory for voting.

Some people don't have birth certificate or SSN so it cost money to get new copy of those documents.

What about college students in SC? They don't have proof of SC residency.

Soitenly!

and Certainly will!

She didn't do a personal attack on me...at least not yet- that I know of. She did however misunderstand what I was trying to get at.

Alright, she did to me before, such as saying "I hope you don't have kids".

I explain to her clearly but she still don't get it so is there problem with my grammar?

Alright, she did to me before, such as saying "I hope you don't have kids".

I explain to her clearly but she still don't get it so is there problem with my grammar?

There's no problem with your grammar. I think lots of times she misunderstands on purpose so she can keep fighting.

Back