what cause you to become Ddeaf/Hhoh?

yagazn

Reaction score
i was born by rubella (german measles). i'm the only one who's hoh in the familys.

what cause you to become Ddeaf/Hhoh?.

rubella?
high fever?
loud music damage your hearing?

I was not born deaf.

I became deaf when I was around five years old.

I don't remember of the cause of my deafness. I will have to ask my mother again when I see her soon.

I have not worn hearing aids since I was about six years old or so.

My problem- so far

I was born with a birth defect in my L. ear. That lil bone- which is supposed to be straight as an arrow- is curved. They tell me it can be fixed, however; 1) According to the Insurance Co. (Blue Cross Blue SHield of MI),it is considered - "Elective", surgury- and at the most they'll pay is 50%.

So I guess that idea is shot, eh?

I have low-mild tinnitus in both ears.

My R. ear - is begining to get the age-related hearing loss. In one regard- I was recommended to wear a aid in both ears. But since the loss in the right- isnt quite that bad yet, plus the $ to boot- I think I can wait.

-charles

I was born with it. The cause is most likely to do with genes. My brother was born deaf too.

Born hearing, became deaf at 11 months old baby due to spinal meningitis and ever since my hearing has progressively became worse until last year, I am completely deaf

unknow cuz of dr born me then later my mom found out that i cant hear so bring back to my dr who born me and he already died too late so unknow born with deaf

I lost my hearing around 5 years old. I had reflux (urine goes backwards instead of out), hence many a kidney infections and bladder infections. I missed kindergarden alot so I had to take it twice! The doctors give my strong antibiotics and steriods and my hearing got lost in one shot due to nerve damage. Teachers resented me until HS because if I had to pee, there was no holding it because I might get an infect!!!

In losing the hearing, before I got one HA instead of the 2 I needed, I got caught singing to myself in the bathroom (kindergarden). I think I was doing that because it was story time and I couldn't hear the teacher so I went to the bathroom and sang to myself looking in the mirror. Anyway she pulled me out and humilated me in front of the class. This is what changed me on the inside. This is when my seed of anger/depression sprouted and I hated all authority figures from that day & on.

I am hearing but my daughter is the deaf one.

She was born hearing but had some major complications. She had to have a heart-lung bypass. She was very near death. They gave her very strong antibiotics and she was on oxygen for 6 months.

She was still hearing normally at 6 months, but by 18 months she had a moderatly severe loss. It has progressed to severe (on the edge of profound).

It could have been the lack of oxygen at birth, it could have been the medicine, it could have been the high levels of oxygen for the weeks in the hospital, it could have been the bypass....don't know, but probably a little of everything!

My progressive hearing loss was caused by premature birth, secondary effects of retinopathy of prematurity, high oxygen levels while in the incubator, ototoxic drugs given to me while in the neonatal NICU, antibiotics given to me for ear infections and years of untreated allergies. I was born with normal hearing. By age 3, I was diagnosed with a mild loss (although my former hearing aid audis think my loss may be congenital since newborns born in the late 60s/early 70s weren't given hearing screenings the way they do today. By age 15, I received my first pair of hearing aids for a moderately-severe loss and by age 25, my loss was severe-profound.

I became hoh in my mid20s. I was told that I have a defective gene (connexion 26), but nobody knows what triggered the mutation.

I was born with a severe to profound deafness due to prenatal rubella; my mother says she had no symptoms of rubella, however my brother became ill with it for a few days when she was pregnant with me.

My mother was very sick with high fever when she was four months pregnant when I was inside of her. She went in and out of the hospital many times until I was ready to born into the world. My mother almost died but revived in time. I was born deaf with totally deaf on the right ear but I could manage to hear some (very severe hearing loss) on my left ear. I did not start to wear hearing aid until I was eight years old. I am still wearing the left hearing aid that I am 62 years old today. My mother does not know what the name of the fever that she had, so it became unknown what kind of fever that cause me to be deaf. :ugh3:

I born hearing for 9 months and caught Whooping Cough and High fever causes my deafness and blind in right eye.

I am deaf because of a version of long QT syndrome. It's the homozygous form of long qt syndrome type 5.

Getting one defective copy of the KCNE1 or KCNQ1 genes is enough to have heart problems with LQT5. Having two defective copies gives the homozygous version that also gives you deafness. That version is known as the Jervell and Lange-Nielsen syndrome. It is the KCNQ1 gene 90% of the time and the KCNE1 one for the other 10%. I don't know which one it is for me. I've been down by like 100dB since birth.

These genes code for parts of the voltage gated potassium channels in the cell membranes of cardiac muscle and inner ear cells. The channels are made of proteins encoded by a bunch of genes to carry K+ ions out of the cells to repolarize them.

The treatment I got is taking the beta blocker metoprolol and an operation. The beta blocker cuts the kidneys' production of the hormone renin, Renin causes the release of the hormone angiotensin that makes blood vessels contract, increasing blood pressure. So reducing renin release cuts blood pressure.

The operation I got 14 years ago involved cutting a branch of nerves that were near the left side of the collarbone and connected to the left sympathetic nerve trunk, one of the two trunks of sympathetic nerves going down from the head parallel to the spinal cord.

That had the side effect of making my left pupil smaller than the other one with the left eyelid drooping and my left hand drier. Here's a picture of someone with eyes like that. I attached a picture of my eyes.

I also had an older deaf brother with the same genetic disease. He didn't get treatment because he died 15 days before his 6th birthday. About half of untreated people with JLNS die by the age 15. After he died, someone who studied the disease heard about it so I got checked for it and put on the medicines and got the operation in 1994 at the Strong Memorial hospital in Rochester where they study the disease.

I was born deaf, partially blind in one eye and a hole in my heart from rubella my mother had while she was pregnant with me.

All my family are deaf, I started to lose my hearing in my teens and now age 40 Im severely deaf in both ears, also my daughter is profoundly deaf as are my nieces and nephews they have different degrees of hearing loss.

Back