What Careers Have You Or Someone You Know Gone Into?

Hockey94

Reaction score
Just curious as what all of you has done. Looking for some inspiration.

I have a certificate in Graphic Communications but unfortunately most of the printing jobs are literally on the other side of the country and graphic design jobs around here demand experience...

Not even 3 months of graduating with the certificate... my dad is really pressuring me to find a job... and so I'm considering looking into other careers... but I couldn't really think much other then bakery or maybe carpentry. Or go back to school again and maybe try paralegal or something... either way it's really stressing me out...

What part of the country are you in? One relative is in graphics designs and does work for a printing company on the east coast. A friend does something to do with web content/design for a college (one we know lol). I did (hope to do again) QA Testing... everything else in between... pharmacy, nursing, accounting, para-educator, really an endless list- could probably list 100 different occupations of everyone I know lol.

It's only been 3 months so give it a little more time is my suggestion. Some companies are just now in their new fiscal year so there may be new jobs popping up (there's my pie in the sky dream...:P). Try to think of something you may enjoy doing. In the mean time consider volunteer work too- that will look good on resumes.

The electrical trades are excellent. Go to IBEW.com for information. :afro:

What part of the country are you in? One relative is in graphics designs and does work for a printing company on the east coast. A friend does something to do with web content/design for a college (one we know lol). I did (hope to do again) QA Testing... everything else in between... pharmacy, nursing, accounting, para-educator, really an endless list- could probably list 100 different occupations of everyone I know lol.

It's only been 3 months so give it a little more time is my suggestion. Some companies are just now in their new fiscal year so there may be new jobs popping up (there's my pie in the sky dream...:P). Try to think of something you may enjoy doing. In the mean time consider volunteer work too- that will look good on resumes.

Western Canada. And my dream job is to be an author, but I know I need a job to support myself as well.

Relocation is probably what I would have to do for either British Columbia or Eastern Canada if I want to go into printing/bindery. For example, Ontario and Quebec has over 100 openings for printing whereas B.C has 19 and Alberta = 8 (most are for supervisors or experienced). But I'm not sure if I want to relocate for the time being.

But anyways I was just curious what others have done. It is because I know there might be other jobs or careers I probably haven't thought of which might interest me. Like para-educator.. no idea what that is but then I learned it's an educational assistant (and I realized there is so many names for this position lol).

Like para-educator.. no idea what that is but then I learned it's an educational assistant (and I realized there is so many names for this position lol).

LOL sorry.. That's what I could come up with without looking at my texts from that particular friend. She pretty much assists in the classroom- and I think mostly to do with the 'special needs' group not sure. She also does caretaker duties (aka Home Health Care).

Trying to think of others- mostly the rather usual/normal- teachers, school psychologists, programmers, UPS driver (know 2 of them lol), there is one who's TRYING to be a writer/author- but to me not succeeding very well- winds up in odd jobs for the most part.

Western Canada. And my dream job is to be an author, but I know I need a job to support myself as well.

Relocation is probably what I would have to do for either British Columbia or Eastern Canada if I want to go into printing/bindery. For example, Ontario and Quebec has over 100 openings for printing whereas B.C has 19 and Alberta = 8 (most are for supervisors or experienced). But I'm not sure if I want to relocate for the time being.

But anyways I was just curious what others have done. It is because I know there might be other jobs or careers I probably haven't thought of which might interest me. Like para-educator.. no idea what that is but then I learned it's an educational assistant (and I realized there is so many names for this position lol).

you wont get anyplace in quebec unless you know frenchie or are real real damn good.

they also use a different sign language, LSQ

ontario has more support for Deafies then b.c. in my experience having lived in booth.

if you ever hit toronto check out the DCC.

Back